Words that drive you mad

I never understood why parents have taken to calling McDonalds 'Mickey Dee's', as if they're taking kids to a mate's house. That grips my shit.

When might those fools understand Ronald McDonald isn't their mate? When it's too late and something happens, that's when.
In fact, McDonald hasn't acquired an ECRB certificate, to my knowledge, and could well be a prolific, but un-apprehended, sex offender. For all we know, he could have Maddie.

My kids aren't allowed in unless with their horrible, squawking, spotty friends; and it's compulsory to refer to McDonald's as "McDogburger".

Her indoors, is queen bee, she calls the shots, her word is law. which is just as it should be, it's an old east end tradition.
I don't know you, I've never met you (as far as I'm aware anyway) and I'm never likely to meet you, and while I don't have a beef with you I'll just say fuck a duck, you don't half talk some bollox about the East End, I was born and raised in Vallance Road Bethnal Green ( no I don't remember seeing the bloody Kray Twins) and I sure as shite wouldn't keep boasting about it.

You don't just look through rose tinted glasses at the East End you look through high definition, widescreen rose tinted glasses. The East End 'traditions' and communities you keep spouting about were the same the width and length of the country, only the accent changed, the 'community' was only about the distance to the local shop and pub, walk a couple of streets further and you'd be as much a stranger and unknown as they would in yours, all you had was a string of these 'communities joined together but it sure as shite didn't make it one LARGE community.

As for leaving your doors unlocked? if, and it certainly didn't happen when I was a sprog, if anyone did leave their doors unlocked it was because you had fuck all to steal, the same as them, the 'Matriarch' thing you talk about was, and also is the same just about everywhere else.

As for the area, it is and was a shite hole, I couldn't wait to get away and apart from my accent I have no ties to the area, all that old fanny about the East End shaping you? utter bollox as well, family values as a child shaped you to your teens then your choices and jobs as an adult shaped you to what you are now, don't give me the old mother hubbard about East End values being different from other parts of the country either, as with anywhere you had good and bad people and good and bad values

Rant over

Edited to add that there aren't any good or bad values in Manchester, just bad

Going back to the OP, it's plus one for "mate" here. Especially when uttered by one colleague, a whiny Scouser (I've nothing against The 'pool, having spent some happy years there in my youth). This guy just irritates the p+++ out of me by constantly moaning and then calling me "mate". Patronising twat. It probably doesn't help that he wears his skinny trousers about 4 inches too short, without socks, and sports a constant stubbly beard when he really should either get a shave or grow a full set.

Buddy. Especially when used by Vodafone or barstaff.

Have we met? No? Then we're not friends.

My particular dislike is being called "buddy" repeatedly on the telephone, then asked "and do you mind if I call you (insertfirstname)?"

"Yes. You can call me Mr Dropshortjock".

Buddy. Especially when used by Vodafone or barstaff.

Have we met? No? Then we're not friends.

My particular dislike is being called "buddy" repeatedly on the telephone, then asked "and do you mind if I call you (insertfirstname)?"

"Yes. You can call me Mr Dropshortjock".
You need to chillax, bro!

Yokel

LE
I hate the use of naval terminology. It drives me up the bulkhead.
What annoys me is presenters using terms such as wall or floor when they mean bulkhead or deck.

The common theme in many posts is that people are not so much bothered by words, even if mispronounced or used wrongly, as by the laziness and lack of care it represents.

I don't know you, I've never met you (as far as I'm aware anyway) and I'm never likely to meet you, and while I don't have a beef with you I'll just say fuck a duck, you don't half talk some bollox about the East End...

Rant over...
Ditto for E17

Prosecco. For cnuts who cant afford Champagne. All tastes of piss to me but wine is for homos and prosecco is wine, so there we go then.
Did you just call my Buckfast a poof?

Tool

LE
I got into
Grandfather.He
learn a new word everyday all that sort of stuff.
well to do

padre. The
I guess is that your grandfather would be spinning in his grave (yes, I know it's physically impossible. I also understand irony et cetera - not ec setra).

I don't know you, I've never met you (as far as I'm aware anyway) and I'm never likely to meet you, and while I don't have a beef with you I'll just say fuck a duck, you don't half talk some bollox about the East End, I was born and raised in Vallance Road Bethnal Green ( no I don't remember seeing the bloody Kray Twins) and I sure as shite wouldn't keep boasting about it.

You don't just look through rose tinted glasses at the East End you look through high definition, widescreen rose tinted glasses. The East End 'traditions' and communities you keep spouting about were the same the width and length of the country, only the accent changed, the 'community' was only about the distance to the local shop and pub, walk a couple of streets further and you'd be as much a stranger and unknown as they would in yours, all you had was a string of these 'communities joined together but it sure as shite didn't make it one LARGE community.

As for leaving your doors unlocked? if, and it certainly didn't happen when I was a sprog, if anyone did leave their doors unlocked it was because you had fuck all to steal, the same as them, the 'Matriarch' thing you talk about was, and also is the same just about everywhere else.

As for the area, it is and was a shite hole, I couldn't wait to get away and apart from my accent I have no ties to the area, all that old fanny about the East End shaping you? utter bollox as well, family values as a child shaped you to your teens then your choices and jobs as an adult shaped you to what you are now, don't give me the old mother hubbard about East End values being different from other parts of the country either, as with anywhere you had good and bad people and good and bad values

Rant over

Edited to add that there aren't any good or bad values in Manchester, just bad

Steady on old son, you'll have a stroke, as for doors left unlocked, I never said or implied that, and I am proud of my up bringing and family ties to london, through my father and his father, and so on and so on,. There's nothing wrong with loyalty and pride, however misplaced. We moved out in 88, as you say, one big shithole now, its called progress. I visit occasionally my old mum, still on the old manor, the last of a dying breed at 88.
I don't know how old you are, I am nearly 70, so I remember the old manor before new incomers turned it upside down, and city planners turned it into a glass and concrete jungle. As for the villain's, just about every one on the patch was in some way effected by their goings on, my uncle , mums brother was being shaken down, as he ran a taxi firm, and my father had a few run in, as he owned an electrical business. and my wife's family, from Evering road had to suffer those pricks, you already know about Evering road, well, they lived opposite blond carols, draw your own conclusions.

Even my mother, a one time prison screw first at Holloway, then at PentonVille, had the unfortunate experience of confronting Ronny knight, Babs Windsor's old man, when he got banged up, the whole family has at one time, me included, as I met charley Kray at a mates house back in 77 while on leave, and so it goes on, all of the above That's what shaped me, my upbringing, and background, Oh, and my fathers grandfather, on his fathers side, was up for the Whitechapel murders in 1888, no family names as that would be my persec screwed. I had a very colourful upbringing in the east end as a kid, youth, adult and serviceman. first posting london.

Now retired and doing my own thing 130 miles north of the smoke, writing for the local rag, and occasionally, a national daily, local, acting, unpaid. its a hobby.

What annoys me is presenters using terms such as wall or floor when they mean bulkhead or deck.

The common theme in many posts is that people are not so much bothered by words, even if mispronounced or used wrongly, as by the laziness and lack of care it represents.
I hate people saying floor for ground. I can only assume they live in a mud hut or a black cottage with a beaten or oiled earth floor to make that mistake.

Steady on old son, you'll have a stroke, as for doors left unlocked, I never said or implied that, and I am proud of my up bringing and family ties to london, through my father and his father, and so on and so on,. There's nothing wrong with loyalty and pride, however misplaced. We moved out in 88, as you say, one big shithole now, its called progress. I visit occasionally my old mum, still on the old manor, the last of a dying breed at 88.
I don't know how old you are, I am nearly 70, so I remember the old manor before new incomers turned it upside down, and city planners turned it into a glass and concrete jungle. As for the villain's, just about every one on the patch was in some way effected by their goings on, my uncle , mums brother was being shaken down, as he ran a taxi firm, and my father had a few run in, as he owned an electrical business. and my wife's family, from Evering road had to suffer those pricks, you already know about Evering road, well, they lived opposite blond carols, draw your own conclusions.

Even my mother, a one time prison screw first at Holloway, then at PentonVille, had the unfortunate experience of confronting Ronny knight, Babs Windsor's old man, when he got banged up, the whole family has at one time, me included, as I met charley Kray at a mates house back in 77 while on leave, and so it goes on, all of the above That's what shaped me, my upbringing, and background, Oh, and my fathers grandfather, on his fathers side, was up for the Whitechapel murders in 1888, no family names as that would be my persec screwed. I had a very colourful upbringing in the east end as a kid, youth, adult and serviceman. first posting london.

Now retired and doing my own thing 130 miles north of the smoke, writing for the local rag, and occasionally, a national daily, local, acting, unpaid. its a hobby.
looking through my own post I don’t think that I mentioned that there was anything wrong with being proud of where you come from but I was posting that I read a lot of crap about ‘The old east end’ my roots go back many many years there too but it doesn’t make the east end any more special, it just means I know crap about it when I see it, as for meeting Charlie Kray so what? The family were thugs not people to be held up as role models

ETA not that it matters but I’m 63

It's "Fuzzy duck" not fuck a duck!

Bob Upndown

War Hero
Dis/Oriented...it’s Dis/OrientATed FFS.

The Times is about to lose my subscription as their sub-editors are clearly Millenial feckwits, Grrrrrr

looking through my own post I don’t think that I mentioned that there was anything wrong with being proud of where you come from but I was posting that I read a lot of crap about ‘The old east end’ my roots go back many many years there too but it doesn’t make the east end any more special, it just means I know crap about it when I see it, as for meeting Charlie Kray so what? The family were thugs not people to be held up as role models

ETA not that it matters but I’m 63

I fully agree about the Kray's, murdering psychopaths, and my meeting was one by default, as he came to my mates house to see his father, but it doesn't detract from the effects that such people have on very impressionable youngsters. A lot of crap, as you very so succinctly put it, is said about towns and city's by some people that move away, all seen through rose tinted glasses, forgetting the bad times. Ask a liverpudlian or a Manchester ex-pat, and you will get the same response. "great place, salt of the earth, wonderful people etc. " its human nature. All our children were london born, none remember their young lives, but the fact that its their birth place makes them very proud of their roots and family background, and my stories, accounts, and adventures that sometimes emerge at their insistence, holds them in rapt attention. They are now all grown adults, some with children of their own, another generation that will learn of their parents, grand parents, and great great grand parents, and beyond, history, trials and tribulations going back to the early 1800's.

Some kids up here do not know who their fathers are, mine do, and we can trace our family history back over 200 years, and beyond to western Russia, south Africa, and Holland. and I have the old photographs to show them. ................The old east end, for better or worse, a critical and crucial part of our family history.

When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.

Hopefully, end of thread drift. END

Last edited:

Latest Threads