Words that drive you mad

Nicola Sturgeon

Diane Abbott

Lilly Allen

No you can’t, I’ve got a headache

Those words, that they who wear beatnik beards to hide weak chins (the wimmin too), in an attempt to sound wise and intellectual, but just come off as conceited posers.

Literally
Patriarchy
Narrative

Last edited:
Ahem!

Lily, not Lilly.

I'll take one for team here.

You can all buy me extra condoms as compensation.

Dig deep, lads!
however she spells her name there isn’t enough condoms in the world for me to want to grump her, and remember, I have standards that are lower than a worms knackers

The illiterates who put passed when they actually mean past and vica versa.

Actually.
You know.
I am loving (other verbs available).
I mean.

Jeremy.
Tony.

The list could go on.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Truck is a much older word but specified an apparatus for moving a specific load e.g. a gun truck on a ship or a mobile crane.

A lorry was originally a flatbed railway wagon with two axles.

So lorry would seem to be a more appropriate term for a motor vehicle which carries arbitrary, separate loads.

The Army seems to have changed from Lorry to Truck designation sometime in the 1950s, the Bedford RL was a Truck, Cargo, 4-ton
Not forgetting Truck, GS, ¾ ton, aka Land Rover.

When did helicopters become 'rotary wing assets'?

"Police" used wrongly. Metpol does it all the time on Twitter or in press releases.

"Police are in attendance at a major accident at Hyde Park Corner". Police what? Police horses? Police officers? Police dogs? "The Police" or "Police Officers" or "our officers". Not "Police". Makes bad England.
Anything's better than 'plod' (ibid.).

I’m not an apologist for this sort of behaviour (@A signaller ) too, but this sort of behaviour is everywhere. Rise above the idiots, and enjoy your heritage and surroundings.
Haters will hate. **** them.

We did. It was a trip of a lifetime, we hadn't been there for over 30 years, it was our 30 anniversary, the children paid for everything, air fare, hotel, car hire, we saw and experienced the food, architecture, friendly helpful locals, woods and forests, wonderful cafes and restaurants, The beer and schnapps were atomic, and the hotel superb, The small towns were a visitors paradise, and in one, a local took us into the Rathaus, a magnificent 17th century all yellow and cream painted building, where we were presented with a 2 hour free parking permit, for foriegn visitors only. Where in the UK do you get that kind of help and interest. Bavaria is a tremendous place to live, and I had the privilege of working their as a soldier on 4 occasions, each time for 4 months at a time on snow queen. 30+ years later, now as a civilian, now able to saviour, at our leisure, the true Bavaria, in all its glory.

The neo Nazi factions that we encountered were but a microcosm of the malady that Europe still harbours, it will never be eradicated, only endured. It did not stop the enjoyment of our holiday one iota.

Last edited:

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
. . . or, as my French neighbour 2 doors down (he being resident here for nearly 30 years) bemoaned, having returned back from a short trip to see Maman, ' . . . and, after I give my order to zis leetle prick in the bar, he say to me, 'D'ac'. D'ac! What is zis fuckin' 'D'ac' thing you say?! It is 'd'accord'! Stop destroying my language, you cack*!'
<snip>
It's either 'returned from a short trip' or 'came back from a short trip'. Not both, it makes you sound stupid.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Truck is a much older word but specified an apparatus for moving a specific load e.g. a gun truck on a ship or a mobile crane.

A lorry was originally a flatbed railway wagon with two axles.

So lorry would seem to be a more appropriate term for a motor vehicle which carries arbitrary, separate loads.

The Army seems to have changed from Lorry to Truck designation sometime in the 1950s, the Bedford RL was a Truck, Cargo, 4-ton

And I don't think lorry drivers were referred to as truckers until the film Convoy, and the ensuing interest in CB radio!

Latest Threads