Words that drive you mad

IIRC, at it's peak, there were 8.5 million Nazi party members, some of whom probably joined to avoid unwelcome attention due to their occupation, etc. during WWII, some 18 million people served in the Wermacht - from a German population of circa 70 million, there were also some non-Germans in the Wermacht, some by choice, estimates were >1 million. During WWI, they were known as the Hun - or Filthy Hun, for some of the tactics employed and treatment of prisoners and wounded (including their own) - this was due (as I have been told by a good friend who has a Prussian extended family with some 'involvement') almost entirely due to the Bavarians being utter b'stards, not just to the allies, but also to non-Bavarians.

Having spent a few weeks as a civvie in Bavaria, a few years ago, and having a few encounters with the master race, nothing had changed, my wife and I had to make a hurried retreat from a pub, when the unmistakable phrase was uttered in a stage whisper " ".....Judan ...." We also witnessed a street fight between the local chapter of the Einsatzgruppen and some middle eastern gentleman. Himmler would have been so proud. Nothing has changed, the Bavarians are still full of bile and hate. It is still a dangerious place for anyone who is not white, Christian, or German.

Having spent a few weeks as a civvie in Bavaria, a few years ago, and having a few encounters with the master race, nothing had changed, my wife and I had to make a hurried retreat from a pub, when the unmistakable phrase was uttered in a stage whisper " ".....Judan ...." We also witnessed a street fight between the local chapter of the Einsatzgruppen and some middle eastern gentleman. Himmler would have been so proud. Nothing has changed, the Bavarians are still full of bile and hate. It is still a dangerious place for anyone who is not white, Christian, or German.
Agree. My niece was in Stuttgart with her female Sri Lankan friend as part of their degree course and got a lot of racist comments from the usual suspects.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I wrote a statement of fact, not some kind of postulation. Trucks have been around since before "lorries" were thought of. Call them what you like, but they're all trucks. I too have used the word lorry, but that doesn't mean they aren't trucks.
Not all trucks are lorries...

Agree. My niece was in Stuttgart with her female Sri Lankan friend as part of their degree course and got a lot of racist comments from the usual suspects.
I’m not an apologist for this sort of behaviour (@A signaller ) too, but this sort of behaviour is everywhere. Rise above the idiots, and enjoy your heritage and surroundings.
Haters will hate. Fuck them.

I’m not an apologist for this sort of behaviour (@A signaller ) too, but this sort of behaviour is everywhere. Rise above the idiots, and enjoy your heritage and surroundings.
Haters will hate. **** them.
Her friend said she had never experienced anything like this in the UK as the abuse was constant and no one batted an eye lid. Felt unsafe walking from their place of work and their lodgings.

Her friend said she had never experienced anything like this in the UK as the abuse was constant and no one batted an eye lid. Felt unsafe walking from their place of work and their lodgings.
I have to say that in my limited excursions in Europe, I have encountered casual racism (with a viscious edge) that makes me cringe.
I also know that many people in Britain hold similar attitudes, but I hope we are moving towards the day when these attitudes are a thing of the past.
I live in hope.

Mrs Slocombe

Clanker
I confess I haven't read all 29 pages of this, so these may have already been covered:
verbs that don't exist, for example to trial, to helm, to pen
Use of translator when they mean interpreter
And hopefully doesn't mean what you think it means

gorillaguts981

War Hero
Even in Bremen, when I worked there, I had some trouble on the street with one of the Neos. I even look like them FFS and was often mistaken for a local. Teach me to open me gob.

Truck is a much older word but specified an apparatus for moving a specific load e.g. a gun truck on a ship or a mobile crane.

A lorry was originally a flatbed railway wagon with two axles.

So lorry would seem to be a more appropriate term for a motor vehicle which carries arbitrary, separate loads.

The Army seems to have changed from Lorry to Truck designation sometime in the 1950s, the Bedford RL was a Truck, Cargo, 4-ton

Last edited:

gorillaguts981

War Hero
Might be from truckle which is from the old name for a caster or the sheaf of a pulley. A truckle bed is a low frame on truckles that slides under the main bedframe. Just a random thought.

'Solution'

Invariably used as a descriptive suffix by companies trying to pump up goods or services that are actually quite humdrum.

I think the most risible example was a sign I saw in Tesco or somewhere describing the chiller cabinet containing sad old TV dinners as 'Meal Solutions'.
They are meal solutions. Once you've tried them, if there's a choice, you'd rather go hungry than do it again.

Latest Threads