Words that drive you mad

How very dare you! You may wish to send your deepest appa-loggies to the 18th Lorried Infantry Bde, 61st Lorried Infantry Bde, 131st Lorried Infantry Bde, 133rd lorried Infantry Bde . . .
I refer the honorable gentleman opposite to the answer I gave some moments ago. Indeed, the Lorried Infantry Brigades would have been issued with Austin trucks. Like this one:

s-l1600-2.jpg

Only because it takes too long to call out "Movement at charming willow by the riverbank. Five hundred yards. Honestly, it looks just like the one where we used to have tea in the summer when Timmy and the girls came home from school."
That’s never a willow...

I did gravitate from Spain to France, with no great loss in translation.
Unintentional mistake there on my part Madame. I did mean to remark 'It' did, not me :)

I wrote a statement of fact, not some kind of postulation. Trucks have been around since before "lorries" were thought of. Call them what you like, but they're all trucks. I too have used the word lorry, but that doesn't mean they aren't trucks.
Before we get into semantics, you can get in your wagon and truck on. I’ll get in mine and lorry on.

From 'truc' which in previous centuries meant 'to deceive '
And now just used as ‘thing’, as fairmaidofperth alludes to.
1. Very useful word in France
2. fairmaidofperth is jolly difficult to type without adding a space at least once.

MrMemory

War Hero
From 'truc' which in previous centuries meant 'to deceive '
From the French variation of poker called Truquiflor, in which the aim is to deceive your opponent.

The word was popularised by Navvies in the 19th Century, whose employers tried to pay in them in tokens which could only be redeemed in stores owned by those same employers. When signing on for the job the Navvies would demand to be paid in the coin of the realm, hence the phrase 'I'll have no truc with that" which eventually entered popular language.

IIRC, at it's peak, there were 8.5 million Nazi party members, some of whom probably joined to avoid unwelcome attention due to their occupation, etc. during WWII, some 18 million people served in the Wermacht - from a German population of circa 70 million, there were also some non-Germans in the Wermacht, some by choice, estimates were >1 million. During WWI, they were known as the Hun - or Filthy Hun, for some of the tactics employed and treatment of prisoners and wounded (including their own) - this was due (as I have been told by a good friend who has a Prussian extended family with some 'involvement') almost entirely due to the Bavarians being utter b'stards, not just to the allies, but also to non-Bavarians.
The latter is why I as. North German have little time for Bavarians,Given family connections I’m a little more pro Prussian. When trouble starts it’s invariably Bavaria. But we won’t go into the running gunfights in the north between the commies and the Nazis,both detested by the likes of Grandad who tried to remain Apolitical, but ultimately failed. They were not easy times and people did what they needed to survive. Incidentally many German Practices were by default both French and Russian.

I nearly put trucks, and then luckily realised there is enough Americanised bastardisation of the language as it is.
Quite. For example Schedule. Pronounced as Sked-yool instead of Shed-yool.

"Basically...".

I have member of staff who gives me a supposedly 'brief report' starting with "Basically..." but which ends up taking more of my time to listen to than I would have used up if I'd been in the fucking room when it all happened in the first place.
My old over-promoted supervisor. The number of 'basicallys' was proportional to the extent to which she was taking out her arrse.

Latest Threads