Words that drive you mad

That was the correct pronunciation back in the days of my fathers youth in the 20's east end of london, the dialect has changed in the last 80+ years, you can still hear it on YouTube clips of music hall turns of the time, Gus Elen singing " If it wasn't for the houses in between" refers to climbing a chimly.
Just because that was how they pronounced it, it sure as shite doesn't make it the correct way, I'm also as Cockney as they come but I know how to pronounce it, it's pronounced the exact way it's spelt

CHIMNEY

Fast paced ,meaning running around like a clueless decapitated chicken

Yokel

LE
Another one I just heard that annoys me is "gift" as a verb.

"I gifted my co-workers a box of chocolates"

"Tarquin gifts Cressida some new sex toys"

"Tis the gifting season" a

No, you ******* *********, you GIVE a gift.
Are you sure that Gift is not a verb as well as a noun?

Gifted, to gift....

I hate "Gobsmacked". Horrible expression.
Do you smack anyone who says it in the gob?

One thing that annoys me is the use of dramatic sounding terms for effect. 'Top Secret F-35....' - apart from all the publicity and public announcements and other open source information dating back to the early nineties when the project started.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
That was the correct pronunciation back in the days of my fathers youth in the 20's east end of london, the dialect has changed in the last 80+ years, you can still hear it on YouTube clips of music hall turns of the time, Gus Elen singing " If it wasn't for the houses in between" refers to climbing a chimbley.

It may have been widely used, but it was not the "correct" pronunciation!

In the song it would have been used in a comic way.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Although I've had a good say on here there are some words and phrases that I really like and which make me smile. One of my favourites is 'fuck all' as there is no ambiguity, it is universal and everyone knows just where they stand with no frills attached! There we are, the World is a decent place after all ...

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Not a word. An action. Someone gives an answer on a quiz show. It's correct. The audience applaud them. They applaud themselves.

Don't. Just fúcking don't.

Not having a telly leaves me with a surplus of bricks ...

Offa

War Hero
Another one I just heard that annoys me is "gift" as a verb.

"I gifted my co-workers a box of chocolates"

"Tarquin gifts Cressida some new sex toys"

"Tis the gifting season"

No, you ******* *********, you GIVE a gift.
But then again, there ain't a noun that can't be verbed.

Reach out, instead of talk/ email/ meet with.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Velly good.

On a serious note, my understanding of the pronunciation was the other way round - I remember it being pronounced Hi-ROSH-ima in the past, but I tend to think that He-ro-she-ma with equal emphasis is probably correct, and in keeping with the Japanese method of pronouncing words of several syllables.

I'm sure there's a linguist around who can confirm or refute this.

Although I've had a good say on here there are some words and phrases that I really like and which make me smile. One of my favourites is '**** all' as there is no ambiguity, it is universal and everyone knows just where they stand with no frills attached! There we are, the World is a decent place after all ...
Fuck and its derivatives is possibly the most flexible word in the English language. It can be a verb, noun, adjective etc.

My dad swore blind that he saw a Sapper kick an AVRE and say “the fucking fuckers fucking fucked” and he was amazed at both the use of English and the futility of kicking a forty ton vehicle. I’m still a bit doubtful that happened and think it is probably more of a myth.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Are you sure that Gift is not a verb as well as a noun?

Gifted, to gift....
"Gifted" is acceptable as an adjective - "a gifted child", in other words, talented; not as a verb. You cannot "gift" something, or be "gifted" a gift.

Hope that helps.

As they say.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Although I've had a good say on here there are some words and phrases that I really like and which make me smile. One of my favourites is '**** all' as there is no ambiguity, it is universal and everyone knows just where they stand with no frills attached! There we are, the World is a decent place after all ...
B0llocks is another wonderful word, the ways it can be used is marvellous

Mindfulness, isn't that more about steaming your Yoni than boiling your piss
‘Be mindful’ is usually used by some cunt who’s objecting to someone giving them a home truth & is worried about triggering or tears flowing. They can get fucked.

Latest Threads