Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Words that are no longer in everyday usage

I was out with my brother recently and he held open the door for a woman (I won't say lady ) who said "Are you doing that because I'm a ******* woman?" to which he replied " No love, because I'm a gentleman".

ugly said:
I know what you mean Blue. I have managed to get 3 new phones for my family that are so slim, lightweight and cheap to use. We even reckoned back then that it cost money for the caller if the mobile phone went unanswered.

Slim, lightweight and cheap ... Motorola C.3 ?
However, as someone said earlier "Press Button B".

Meanwhile ... back on thread ...

Bomb Site ... there will be some here who can remember the wooden supports for the adjacent buildings, the brick rubble, the hazards ... and the ideal playground for the young survivors :D

Ap-a-logies if done before but Im not trawling through 15 page's of mobile phone nostalgia to look.Two playground fave's were 'chinny-rec-on' for bullsh1t and 'dick-spash' for your joey types.

chimera said:
Airfix said:
Cable_Ties said:
Signs of the times. Remember when squaddie-speak was littered with german? Nowadays, the young lads don't know when I tell them "Schlafen late equal arsch kicken mit meinen stieffeln."

Give it time and we'll be hearing, 'I was alles uber der platzs...' etc in Arabic in the Mess and bars!

Insh'Allah....

The sands of time. 11th Hussars returning from Aden in ‘62 (former coaling station and land of the Shi-ites, in days of yore) used Arabic sprinkled with German and squaddie speak in Hohne back in ‘63/64. ‘Shufti’ (giz a look), chi or cha (obvious) char-wallah (obvious) Shokran (thanks) Afwan (that’s alright mate). Older troopers who’d served in Malaya had an even more extensive poly-vocabulary. Officers of course spoke English and loud English when addressing the German mechanics in the LAD workshops.