Word problem - am I missing something?

I sent somebody an e-mail this afternoon, with an attached Word document. He replied that it was all messed up, disjointed, and with text missing. But my version looks perfectly fine, as does my printed hard copy, and I have suceeded in e-mailing it to myself and to a hotmail address.

Does Word have a nasty sting in the tail? Was this likely just a corrupted file?

But the last one was recieved fine a week or so ago - very odd.

If you are using Word from Office 2010 you may have saved the last document as a .docx file, which someone using Office 2007 may see as garbled.

If that's the case you can re-save your doc as a Word 97-2003 doc and resend it.

Another question now...

I am writing a few notes on things - what is the easiest way to insert (into Word) things like diagrams, graphs,and mathematical formulae with subscripts for things such as log to the base 2...

Another question now...

I am writing a few notes on things - what is the easiest way to insert (into Word) things like diagrams, graphs,and mathematical formulae with subscripts for things such as log to the base 2...
I find that MS Word is pretty crap at technical stuff like that. Any graphs, equations and diagrams I draw using a separate programme, turn them into something easy (like a jpeg file) and insert them into the word document.

OpenOffice seems promising with respect to technical things.

If Yokel hasn't long-since solved his mathematical problem ... I translated/edited/formatted technical reports in Word for many years, and found you could achieve pretty good results using the built-in equation editor, but that it did take some getting used to.

Having said which, my mathematician brother-in-law reckons you can't beat LaTex for equations, but a quick look at LaTeX hints that you really do need to be doing that kind of thing regularly to make the learning process worthwhile.

Happy to try and help with any specific questions about equations in Word.

word 2003 - to insert subscript or superscript characters - Highlight the character then - Superscript: Press CTRL&SHIFT then +
Subscript: Press CTRL + (New version of word has it on the ribbon !). Agree with the others about inserting diags etc into word - draw in open office or excel - print/save as .pdf etc

'ere we go.

One of Maxwell's equations. Took me about 1 minute.

Maxwell.jpg
Edited to add ...

First time I've used the Word equation editor in over 12 years -- they've made it much easier than it was in Word 97!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M ARRSE: Site Issues 8
K Gaming and Software 7
msr The Intelligence Cell 0