Word problem - am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Yokel, Dec 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I sent somebody an e-mail this afternoon, with an attached Word document. He replied that it was all messed up, disjointed, and with text missing. But my version looks perfectly fine, as does my printed hard copy, and I have suceeded in e-mailing it to myself and to a hotmail address.

Does Word have a nasty sting in the tail? Was this likely just a corrupted file?
  2. Which version of Office / Word are you using?
  3. Who cares with a signature block like yours.......
  4. But the last one was recieved fine a week or so ago - very odd.
  5. If you are using Word from Office 2010 you may have saved the last document as a .docx file, which someone using Office 2007 may see as garbled.

If that's the case you can re-save your doc as a Word 97-2003 doc and resend it.
  6. Not 2010 - nothing that modern. 2003 and XP.
  7. msr

msr LE

8. The other guy was using a Mac.
  9. Another question now...

I am writing a few notes on things - what is the easiest way to insert (into Word) things like diagrams, graphs,and mathematical formulae with subscripts for things such as log to the base 2...
  10. Gegs: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _

That's a word problem.
  11. Send them a .pdf
  12. I find that MS Word is pretty crap at technical stuff like that. Any graphs, equations and diagrams I draw using a separate programme, turn them into something easy (like a jpeg file) and insert them into the word document.
  13. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Press F1, its magic
  14. OpenOffice seems promising with respect to technical things.
  15. I use it and its free