Word 2010 - trying to centre "one page view" in a wide monitor?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by 4(T), Nov 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thought I'd ask the Arrse Office ninjas, as I can't seem to find the answer online:

Using Word 2010 on a 24" monitor.

I like to write documents in "print layout" at 100% size - ie WSIWYG - and centred in the display, with following pages scrolling on below.

By default on a wide monitor, Word displays two pages side-by-side - annoying when the rhs page is the blank following page, and you're forced to constantly work on the left of the screen.

When I try using the "one page" setting in "View", the page centres, but the zoom defaults back to 75%. If I increase the zoom to "100%", it moves the page back to the left side of the monitor. Using "page/text width" of course gives monster zoom. There appears to be no way of getting the page in the centre at 100% zoom.

I can't see any way of creating the - presumably popular - view I want to use. Am I missing something?

2. I know in 2007 you can use the Print Layout view. A quick scout on Microsoft support forums implies this feature is still available in 2010, not sure if that's of much help but maybe worth a try.

3. I'm using "print layout", but it positions the page on the left side of the screen. I'm trying to get get it to sit in the centre, at 100% zoom...

4. Try this mate: Open your document.

Go to "view" on the toolbar at the top of the screen.

This will show a number of options.

One Page.
    Two Pages.
    Page Width.

Make sure your view is still 100%.

Don't alter anything else just click on "Page width"

Let us know if it works (or not)

5. That works on mine, though my screen is smaller than the one in question.

If it doesn't work you could always just drag the sides of the actual window in which word sits to make the window stop just on either side of the page edges then you can centre it on the screen yourself by dragging it there?

Only other solution I can think of would be to tinker with your screen resolution...

6. No go - that just goes from two pages side-by-side at 100% to one monster 22" wide page with giant font....

Yeah - I could just minimise the window down to the size of the "paper" or whack the screen resolution back to the Sinclair spectrum era, but then all those huge tool ribbons get scrunched up. Surely Microsoft must have given a function where you can view a document the traditional way?

7. Try the same thing again ie, 'View' > 'Page width'

When you again get your full page with massive font, have a decko in the bottom right corner. There is a slidy bar thingy with '-' to the left and '+' the right. You can click your mouse on this and slide to the left and adjust the page.

Give that a go.

8. Nope. The slidey bar thingy does reduce it down in size, until it gets to 164% - when it flicks back to two side-by-side pages....

9. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Click the ONE PAGE view option not PRINT LAYOUT

Do you have a wheel mouse?

If so, press CTRL and move the wheel, this will zoom up and down as you move the wheel

10. meridian, that just alters the slidy bar thingy, same as I said.

11. No - on my PC it does indeed zoom the page whilst keeping it in single page view, and with the page in the centre of the screen.

Full marks to meridian - thank for that.

How bizarre: so using ONE PAGE and CTRL/M WHEEL has the desired zoom effect, whilst ONE PAGE and the ZOOM buttons shifts everything back to multi-pages or left alignment...

12. How bizzarre.

I was zipping around Word 2010 trying stuff out as I was attempting to help out on this 'prob, and the mouse wheel + Ctrl did the same as the slidy bar thing. (You can see the slidy bar moving left and right as you use the mouse wheel. Check it out.)

Apologies to meridian. (My round)

Glad it's sorted.

13. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

I think the trick was to put it in single page mode rather than print layout

Beers all round then