Wootton Bassett to become Royal Wootton Bassett

Announced by PM that later this year the Queen will confer the title Royal to Wootton Bassett, the first time in over 100 years that this has happened.

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
David Cameron has just stated that from now on it will be Royal Wooten Basset result

Three posts on the same topic within a few minutes of each other, and all with different spellings of the town.....

I thought the people of Wooten Bassett didn't want the Royal title?
I think they were being modest.
Ironically there will be no more coffins taking that route.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I thought the people of Wooten Bassett didn't want the Royal title?

Aye, I thought that also - I remember the Mayor saying such on TV. So it looks like this government is carrying on the system of 'listening' to the public then doing what they want to do.

Still, it is a fine, well deserved, honour.

Aye, I thought that also - I remember the Mayor saying such on TV. So it looks like this government is carrying on the system of 'listening' to the public then doing what they want to do.

Still, it is a fine, well deserved, honour.
They're pandering to the rest of the country's wishes so it doesn't matter what the, relatively few, good burghers of Wootton Bassett actually want.

Not trying to take away from such an honour for such a small town, but anyone who has ever been on the route from WB to the John Radcliffe Hosptial in Oxford will know that there's almost as (and more in some cases) people paying their respects to the fallen.

My RBL branch has our Standard Bearer parade up in a layby on the A420 for every time and anyone who's been to Headley Way (the main road that is the entrance to the JR) will know that it has a very good turnout for every repatriation.

When I attended a repatriation at WB, the cars arriving and leaving WB made me guess that the vast amount of those paying their respects are not WB locals, and if so, does it give a unfair impression of the level of 'dignity' offered by those who live there?

Just a thought

Ironically there will be no more coffins taking that route.
I really hope you are right, the repats don't move to brize until sept. As for the town it's self well done. I just hope if in the future which ever town they have to travel though next shows the same tribute.

Originally Posted by Auld-Yin
Quote: Aye, I thought that also - I remember the Mayor saying such on TV. So it looks like this government is carrying on the system of 'listening' to the public then doing what they want to do.

Still, it is a fine, well deserved, honour. Quote

I frequently agree with 'Auld-Yin', despite his being Scottish, and with the last sentence of the post above I totally agree.

With every respect to the inhabitants of Wootton Bassett, I think that those of us who came 'home' alive from operations abroad, and those of us who carried out those operations in the name of Her Majesty and her forebears, should remember that it is Her Majesty who has commanded this honour be given.

It will ill become all those of us who have sworn our Oaths of Allegiance to cavil and carp against this decision of our Sovereign.

PS: Thank you 'b_the_d' for spelling the town's name correctly.