Woolwich Saved

On defence intranet today that Woolwich station will be kept. Two bns of ceremonial duty infantry will move in.

HMMMM smell something fishy, Woolwich to close so move the Arty out. Oh I know lets keep it and give it to the guards and then sell off Chelsea Bks cos its worth more. Guards have had their eye on it for a while and now finally got it.

massive parade square.

Looks like there'll be very smart soldiers lining the start of the marathon soon. As a neutral (REME been posted to 16 and attached to Chelsea) Im just glad that at least one big camp is staying in London and it looks like there'll be a whole load of fresh faced soldiers ready to get pounced on in 'Dingos!

Surprise Surprise.....

Duh.......that was never on the cards.

Larkhill will now become home to thr RA, with central messes et al.

The thing that really gets me, is that the new residents are actually happy to move from their own Chelsea abodes as Woolwich has so many amenities and much nicer accommodation.

As someone who has only ever stayed in the transit blocks or the Sgt's Mess I can only say......WTF??????

The amenities.....a dodgy pub and Kebab shop at the gates. A walk down the hill and you have a little more.....did you know that the very first McDonald's in the UK was the one in Woolwich? Not many people know that....

[/dodgy Micheal Cain impression]

Micky_Dees said:
...did you know that the very first McDonald's in the UK was the one in Woolwich? Not many people know that....

[/dodgy Michael Cain impression]
It's been there all this time and it's still like that!?

fas_et_gloria said:
Micky_Dees said:
...did you know that the very first McDonald's in the UK was the one in Woolwich? Not many people know that....

It's a museum piece Fas.... a little like yourself. ;)

Micky_Dees said:
fas_et_gloria said:
Micky_Dees said:

Stone me! Say again colour, over...

fas_et_gloria said:
Micky_Dees said:
fas_et_gloria said:
Micky_Dees said:

Stone me! Say again colour, over...
:lol:

I say again kettle...cancel....Black Pot...Out! :lol:

This has been on the cards for quite a while. They have looked at locating the KT there as well since StJW is at risk. Slightly erroneous to call it a London Barracks, bloody inaccessible - perhaps Olympics will assist in that respect. Blue /Red/Blue stitch up but Gunners did roll over rather easily. Don't think the Guards will be in there for the long term. Current incumbants due to move to TI late 07 (may slip) and push out the Sussex and Hants Gunners to Rutland Water. So much for a more stable Army and reducing the cost of Arms plotting!

UQFEGD

PP

I shall be writing to my MP. What is the point in keeping large units in London when there are thousands of acres of "arse end of nowhere" in Scotland and I am looking for buy to let investments.

I shall suggest Imber is given a lick of paint and point the MOD in the directions of some used portacabins.

Pensionpointer

"Blue /Red/Blue stitch up but Gunners did roll over rather easily."

We didnt roll over we dont want the place!

SP4 the way ahead

Ah good news all round. I only hope that this is the precursor to a meaningful long-term re-investment in SP4, including the move of Firepower! to the Artillery Centre, and the start of some joined up thinking about where we're going and what we need to achieve it.

I'm not holding my breath, though...

Chaps

I am always slightly taken aback when you express surprise that the majority of the MoD seems to be composed of self-serving and/or stupid tools who can't see further than their next pay rise/ medal/ chance to buggger the Forces about.

I can't decide whether it's down to jealousy (every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier) and done on purpose, or just due to the fact they wouldn't be able to hold down a job in any private company due to their lack of any discernible intellect or application.

Since day 1, I've met obstruction, incompetence and jobsworthiness to a degree I had thought could only come from the pages of a Whitehall farce, or possibly Yes Minister.

There are some fine folk at the MoD (Victor - if you're reading this, hats off to you) but I get the feeling they are outnumbered by the wankkers.

From the Bty typist who couldn't type (or spell) through to the fcukwit decision to re-role chunks of a good Fd Regt (100) and excellent independent Fd Btys to AD, then less than 2 years later, rerole a fine AD Regt (103) to Fd, I have considered that the MoD are actually employed (by the Russians or Tony B Liar) to ruin the Forces.

I know Woolwich is a bit of a dive, but why were the MoD not honest enough to say "Gunners to Larkhill, Guards move to Woolwich" in the first place?

Arrrrrrrrgh! Bastardds! I hate them!!!!!

Sorry folks. Got a bit incoherent with rage towards the end. If you need me , I'll be having a lie down in a dark room for a while.

FluffyBunny said:
Chaps

I am always slightly taken aback when you express surprise that the majority of the MoD seems to be composed of self-serving and/or stupid tools who can't see further than their next pay rise/ medal/ chance to buggger the Forces about.

I can't decide whether it's down to jealousy (every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier) and done on purpose, or just due to the fact they wouldn't be able to hold down a job in any private company due to their lack of any discernible intellect or application.

Since day 1, I've met obstruction, incompetence and jobsworthiness to a degree I had thought could only come from the pages of a Whitehall farce, or possibly Yes Minister.

There are some fine folk at the MoD (Victor - if you're reading this, hats off to you) but I get the feeling they are outnumbered by the wankkers.

From the Bty typist who couldn't type (or spell) through to the fcukwit decision to re-role chunks of a good Fd Regt (100) and excellent independent Fd Btys to AD, then less than 2 years later, rerole a fine AD Regt (103) to Fd, I have considered that the MoD are actually employed (by the Russians or Tony B Liar) to ruin the Forces.

I know Woolwich is a bit of a dive, but why were the MoD not honest enough to say "Gunners to Larkhill, Guards move to Woolwich" in the first place?

Arrrrrrrrgh! Bastardds! I hate them!!!!!

Sorry folks. Got a bit incoherent with rage towards the end. If you need me , I'll be having a lie down in a dark room for a while.
Excuse me resurrecting this as an infantryman and defo not a wooden top, I thought you'd like to know that the first infantry occupants of Woolwich will be the Woofers (or whichever Bn of the MERCIANS). I'm sure you'll be happy to hear that it won't be all Blue Red Blue. I'm sure that because its not the guards you'll feel better about it...

Any large, complex organisation requires a bureaucracy to make it run, which often results in empire building and non-congruent decision-making at the middle management level. There are the usual business dynamics of centralisation vs decentralisation, depending on market forces and the whims of the Head Shed. However, in the commercial world when the bureaucracy gets so monstrous that it is eating into profits, the share price goes down, the CEO, CFO etc. get the heave ho and a new broom comes in to 'de-layer', reduce costs etc. (Do you know of a spare CGS, CAS, First Sea Lord 'resting' between engagements?)

Since '97 Gordon Brown has given most of the civil service a good chunk of additional money, but this money has largely been frittered away. Rarely is there an overarching programme sponsor in a government department to oversee organisational change. What happens is that multiple projects get set in motion, often with contradictory goals, to different timescales and with poorly defined objectives.

Civil servants are not genuinely CR'ed on their leadership skills, rather on concensus building, taking into consideration all sides and then coming up with the path of least resistance / personal pain. This usually means paying consultants like me to make the decisions for them and take the blame if it goes wrong. My current client needs to cut thousands from its headcount, but I'm forever treading on egg shells, dancing around issues that might go to TUS etc. Also, I consider myself quite honest about the work I do but the big boys like IBM, SERCO etc. are always looking for the 'On-Sell', whether or not the civil service really needs it. Sad to say, military personnel are also not good at this 'non-linear' stuff, as it can't easily be encapsulated into a doctrine to be learned by rote.

A ministerial whim can move the CS's goalposts at the drop of a hat (depending on the latest story in 'The Scum'). This particular bunch of politicians are quite blatant about making decisions that play well in Labour constituencies, so the civil servants hands are often tied.

Bottom line, we are paying for very expensive wars in foreign climes whilst our dear chancellor pulls the purse strings yet tighter, the Head Shed continue to pour good money after bad on their own 'pet' single service white elephants, so MoD civil servants have to sell the family silver to pay for all this. Selling the high value real estate in the South East is a means to an end.

Alas, there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Why am I signing on again, then ? Generation of '66, I suppose.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bibo_boy Weapons, Equipment & Rations 4
Harry_Webster Gunners 10
Scally Army Pay, Claims & JPA 7