Woolwich Gun Was Obsolete Calibre Section 58(2)

[FONT=Arial, Helmet, Freesans, sans-serif]According to BBC the revolver which blew up on him was a "9.4mm KNIL Model 91 revolver" - not sure if it's further testament to their lunacy or how difficult it is to get hold of modern pistols illegally.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helmet, Freesans, sans-serif](Appreciate the act of possession with intent to fire makes it Section 5)[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helmet, Freesans, sans-serif]According to BBC the revolver which blew up on him was a "9.4mm KNIL Model 91 revolver" - not sure if it's further testament to their lunacy or how difficult it is to get hold of modern pistols illegally.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helmet, Freesans, sans-serif](Appreciate the act of possession with intent to fire makes it Section 5)[/FONT]

Bets on more pieces becoming Sec.5 soon?

What's the betting he didn't have the right ammo for it?
When the miscreant appeared in court today, he had his right hand bandaged. That is because the revolver blew lumps of his hand off when he fired it. I am guessing that he used something other than 9.4mm Dutch revolver ammo. Nice own goal in any case!

I'm wondering if it would fire a 9mm round and with the round being slightly smaller, gases escaping behind the round caused a breech explosion.

**** knows, I'm not an armourer.
Can a revolver take rimless ammunition?

That just seems so strange - how on earth did they come by that thing?

Just looked it up, described as "exceedingly rare"

"a peice for the discriminating collector with a price to match".

War souvenir I suppose...

That just seems so strange - how on earth did they come by that thing?

Just looked it up, described as "exceedingly rare"

"a peice for the discriminating collector with a price to match".

War souvenir I suppose...
Car boot sale, flea market, someones grandad.

It is amazing what you can still find at flea markets. I once found a de-activated S&W .38 revolver with a 4 inch barrel, the de-activation way back whenever had simply been to drill a hole thru the barrel, push a piece of 1/8" rod thru, solder in place then grind/file down firing pin.

Car boot sale, flea market, someones grandad.

It is amazing what you can still find at flea markets. I once found a de-activated S&W .38 revolver with a 4 inch barrel, the de-activation way back whenever had simply been to drill a hole thru the barrel, push a piece of 1/8" rod thru, solder in place then grind/file down firing pin.
yes you're right - when I think about it seen some very interesting "antiques" at flea markets in France especially in the south

Incidentally... I'll bite... and generally show my ignorance...
why 9.4? what do you get for that extra 0.4 of a mm?
is it a metrication of some older dutch unit of measurement?

Just to show how sad I am.... one "Nijmegen inch" was about 2.7 cm - so a third of an inch calibre?

Maybe he use 9mm rimmed blank and put a ball bearing rammed in the cylinder.
Maybe he stuffed .45 colt pacemaker ammo into it.
Maybe he soldered a rim onto 9x9mm.
Maybe he brazed 9x19mm into it.
Maybe is was .410 cut down.

We may never know.

N.B. some of those if not all suggestions were bollocks.

probably using modern nitro powder rounds in a weapon designed to take black powder rounds

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bibo_boy Weapons, Equipment & Rations 4
Harry_Webster Gunners 10
Scally Army Pay, Claims & JPA 7