Woolwich Gun Was Obsolete Calibre Section 58(2)

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Esteban, May 30, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [FONT=Arial, Helmet, Freesans, sans-serif]According to BBC the revolver which blew up on him was a "9.4mm KNIL Model 91 revolver" - not sure if it's further testament to their lunacy or how difficult it is to get hold of modern pistols illegally.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helmet, Freesans, sans-serif](Appreciate the act of possession with intent to fire makes it Section 5)[/FONT]

2. Bets on more pieces becoming Sec.5 soon?
  3. fu2

fu2 LE

Ought to do 10 years on top for ruining an antique.
    • Like Like x 5
  4. obj3688geo2669p24.png

One of these?
  5. Had a '1952' 50 cal HMG blow up on me though I wasn't trying to hack someone to death at the time.
  6. What's the betting he didn't have the right ammo for it?
    • Like Like x 7
  7. I'm wondering if it would fire a 9mm round and with the round being slightly smaller, gases escaping behind the round caused a breech explosion.

**** knows, I'm not an armourer.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. When the miscreant appeared in court today, he had his right hand bandaged. That is because the revolver blew lumps of his hand off when he fired it. I am guessing that he used something other than 9.4mm Dutch revolver ammo. Nice own goal in any case!
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Can a revolver take rimless ammunition?
  10. That just seems so strange - how on earth did they come by that thing?

Just looked it up, described as "exceedingly rare"

"a peice for the discriminating collector with a price to match".

War souvenir I suppose...
  11. Is it a trick question?

Technically 9mm is rimless and there are revolvers which fire 9mm.

This, briefly, is the difference between rimmed and rimless.

12. Car boot sale, flea market, someones grandad.

It is amazing what you can still find at flea markets. I once found a de-activated S&W .38 revolver with a 4 inch barrel, the de-activation way back whenever had simply been to drill a hole thru the barrel, push a piece of 1/8" rod thru, solder in place then grind/file down firing pin.
  13. I know the difference, 9x19 would be more available than 9.4mm Dutch hence my question.
  14. yes you're right - when I think about it seen some very interesting "antiques" at flea markets in France especially in the south

Incidentally... I'll bite... and generally show my ignorance...
    why 9.4? what do you get for that extra 0.4 of a mm?
    is it a metrication of some older dutch unit of measurement?

Just to show how sad I am.... one "Nijmegen inch" was about 2.7 cm - so a third of an inch calibre?