Woolas Election declared Void

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by bobthedog, Nov 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

2. There is no provision for an appeal in the case of a Parliamentary election to an election court. Phil Woolas minus the MP bit, must now go and refight this election. Hopefully the police will open a criminal investigation to ascertain whether offences against the Representation of the Peoples acts or other criminal offences have taken place.
  3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Hopefully he will also have to pay back his salary that he has been drawing under false pretences since May. Bully - ever the optimist
  4. http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/legResults.aspx?LegType=All%20Legislation&title=Representation%20of%20the%20People%20Act%201983&searchEnacted=0&extentMatchOnly=0&confersPower=0&blanketAmendment=0&TYPE=QS&NavFrom=0&activeTextDocId=2353486&PageNumber=1&SortAlpha=0

I can see no references to compensation or to allocate costs to any party if found guilty. I would view that repayment of his MP salary and expenses from May 6 to today (appropriately 5 November) should be made. I would have preferred that Mr Woolas should be disqualified from standing as a candidate, seeing as how he has knowingly allowed a previous election to become null and void by his own
  5. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Won't he first have to seek re election by his own local Labour party?

Can he and the Labour party afford another election campaign?
  6. I understand that he would be disqualified from standing in the subsequent election, and before he goes there he has announced a decision to request a judicial review into the findings of the election court, I hope he has very very deep pockets.
  7. Wont it have to go through the new "supreme court" as created by Labour earlier this year at great expense, and whether he will get leave to convene this review is another thing. The main thing is that Phil Woolas is now Phil Woolas ex MP.
  8. Oh dear,how sad,never mind.
  9. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Oldham is a constituency that's going to be badly hit by the public sector job cuts.

(Just why are so many public sector jobs in Labour seats I wonder?)

So Woolas might just get a sympathy vote.

Add into that the Liberal vote has been going south since the election, so you can expect tensions in the coalition after the liberals get a pasting in the by-election.

Much though I'd like to see Phil 'tampax on expenses' Woolas lose the re-run, I suspect he'll be back with a slightly better majority.

10. So "sh1t or bust" eh? Bust it is then.

Labour will be silently putting as much distance as it can between themselves as this disgraceful man, who knows he is utterly finished in mainstream politics. Will never be selected as Labour candidate for the rerun.

So as a result has started making pathetic noises about a Judicial Review. So, precisely on what grounds would that be launched, Mr Woolas? Having been found out is unfair?
  11. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Nice piece of legislation that, must admit. Wonder if they could try it in the US?
  12. Pending the outcome of his request for the Judicial Review, Mr Woolas is now disqualified to stand for election for 3 years.... I can't see him ever becoming an MP again.
  13. More criminal behaviour from another Labour minister.

It was a such lovely government, wasn't it?
  14. Who is paying for all this legal activity? Oh! Silly me, I am of course - I am a tax payer.

Two High Court judges have ruled on this matter, but still this epitome of the slime and evil that was at the heart of 'New' Labour, wants to take the matter to judicial review.

Two High Court judges notice. Now, a High Court judge is someone of authority and is held in huge respect (less now that the Benches are crammed with trendy lefty cronies of Blair and Falconer et al).

The Lord Chief Justice cannot dismiss a High Court judge.

The Prime Minister cannot dismiss a High Court judge.

The Lord Chancellor (or whatever he is called nowadays) cannot dismiss a High Court judge.

Her Majesty The Queen cannot dismiss a High Court judge.

Know what it takes? An Act of 'effing Parliament is needed.

My fervent hope is that a Judicial Review is denied and that criminal proceedings are taken against Woolas and that subsequently he is jailed for a very long time - pour encourager les autres.