Woodlouse and which laptop?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by putteesinmyhands, Oct 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. PART 1

My printer wouldn't feed properly, so I entered the symptoms into Google. Obviously, it was due to one of the kids pulling the paper back through the machine while it was printing - this caused a sensor to bend.

Bent sensor = repair and downtime = cheaper to buy a new printer.

BUT NO! Puttees thought he could open the printer, bend the sensor back and save a few quid.

It took a while to find all the screws that held it together (and on completion had 2 screws left, so had to open it all up again) but I couldn't find anything wrong - apart from a woodlouse carcass jammed between two bits of plastic. Removed woodlouse, put back together (eventually) and it seems to be working perfectly. YIPPEE! Up yours, geeks. You didn't think of that, did you?

PART 2

Now, being aware that ARRSE geeks are of a totally different calibre to internet geeks, I need help in making a decision.

I'm faced with buying my daughter a laptop for her university work. I don't know why her current laptop isn't up to the job, but hey - what do I know?

I've narrowed it down to two choices, both Toshiba.

One is the L500-1DT T3000 4GB 320GB 15.6", the other is the L300-29W T4200 3GB 250GB 15.4".

The former has a 50 minute longer battery life, bigger RAM and hard drive and a numeric keypad, but the other has (according to the internet geeks) a better processor and is 300g lighter. The first has Windows 7, the other has a free user-installed upgrade to Windows 7.

There's not a significant difference in price..

So, is the difference in processors that relevant? Will the additional RAM outweigh that difference?
  2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Oodles of data from Tosh's own website below for the spotters.

The 300-29W is a discontinued line, so I have also added the 300-29V (only available from John Lewis which is quite similar).

On gut instinct I would go for the 300 29W, dependant on price, as it has the better processor, and memory and HDs can always be up graded. However it has a slightly smaller screen (1280 x 800 versus 1366 x 768), but the same resolution outputs to a monitor.

The full blurb follows but my choice would be to go for this one:

Satellite L500-19X
    A faster Pentium processor than the 300-29W, but with the slightly larger screen of the other two. Book price 50 squibs more at £449 inc from the same outlets.

Lappy data:

Have fun :twisted:

/ geek mode
  3. Thanks, Gremlin.

The screen size is less of an issue as the laptop will spend much of its "home" time plugged into a monitor as a desk space saving measure. I'd forgotten that when I initially posted the question - the widescreen format of the L500-1DT was one of the turn-offs for me (maybe OK for games(?) and DVDs, but annoys the hell out of me when dealing with documents).

I'm probably heading for the L500-1DT for little more reason than the fact that it already has Windows 7 installed, so less hassle than over-writing the OS.
  4. You wont be doing any games with intel graphics though, and dual screening may be an issue (speedwise).

These laptops are great for school/uni until they come home with a copy of Sims 3, then the tears start and we all get upset at spending £400+ for a posh wordprocessor/web browser.

I would spend a little more and get a DELL Inspiron 15" at £479.

Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor T4300 (2.1GHz, 800MHz, 1MB cache)
    15.6" Widescreen WXGA CCFL (1366 x 768) TFT Display with TrueLife™
    Video Card
    256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD4330
    Memory4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]
    Hard Drive320GB (5,400rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
    Specifications - Hard Drive
    Optical DevicesDVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD)
    Specifications - Optical Devices

You should have no worries from that build.
  5. No problem on the games side.

She has started university, is living at home and commuting 20 miles each day. She has a part-time job which funds her car and takes up about 20 hours per week. She has a boyfriend who she takes to, and collects from, work. She spends an hour at the gym three times a week and aims for 10 hours sleep per night.

Ergo, no time for games other than that one where you build a farm by planting/harvesting crops and have to wait a day to see the results.

Now, if I were asking on behalf of my son....
  6. I've got this one for Highway Junior for Christmas. For the geeks amongst us, would this suffice for a very inquisitive, technology daft 12 year old. It looks good enough to me, but hey what do I know, I'm only the mug doing the overtime to buy it!! :D

8. Consider teh Bay of E.

Mobile Dual Core Pentium @ 1.77GHz
    120GB HDD
    Came with 1GB RAM, I added another 1GB

Radeon shared graphics, make a reasonable job of some older games
    Built in wireless

Total cost - £110. £6 for a laptop bag from Tesco.

Maybe worth a look?
  9. Here you go, a decent site to check what your onboard graphics can do.

Notebook check
  10. If you are going to spend £479 why not 20 quid more Dell studio 15

its the same company but has decent graphics lots of ram is dual core and is from a big company ,maybe squaddie discount as well???

Ps for some reason Dell advertises at 449 but not one studio 15 is 449 ????

hope it helps
    whatnow? :twisted:
  11. You had a Bug!
  12. FFS! It's time to reign you boys in! :roll:

If this thread runs for another week, there'll be someone saying "If you're going to spend £1,799, why not £50 more..."

She's doing word processing, not guiding the Space Shuttle towards the International Space Station. 30 years ago, you could achieve the same aim with a pen and a pad of A4. (In fact, you had to as the nearest thing to a laptop was a ZX81, a portable telly and a cassette recorder. Very craftily wired up to an A41 battery.... 8) )

The machine of real choice would have been a netbook - but she also wanted to be able to read/write CDs/DVDs without fiddling about with a separate DVD rewriter. Well, she's the one who is going to have to lug it about...