Woodland cover for Game

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by happybonzo, Nov 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just taken over two small woodlands; 5 and 7 acres respectively.
    They are of mixed hardwoods ie Ash, Beech, Hazel etc but there is a terrific amount of Rhododendron in them.
    There some people who use the woods for shooting and they say that the Rhodi gives cover for not only Pheasants but also for Deer. I have not seen any tracks of Deer anywhere near the Rhodis at all. In fact, everything around the things seems to be dead.
    Has anyone on here had any experience of this sort of cover on their shoot? Or should I start ordering up the Agent Orange and some jellified petrol?
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

You can get a grant for removing the damn stuff, it also means you can see the deer instead of just hearing them!
  3. I prepare to stand corrected but I dont think its even a native species is it? I hate the stuff (speaking only as a gardener)
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

100% correct, I hate the stuff, what looks nice in a garden grows to the size of trees in woodland. The best thing about Sudden Oak Death? It Kills Rhodedendrons!
  5. Your woods are just too small to tolerate Rhododendron. As you say, it is so vigorous that it suppresses all the other ground cover plants.
    These chaps provide a kill strategy: Forest Research - Rhododendron control
    Once rid of it the seed bed will start to regenerate the ground flora. Except where the Beech are, they also suppress growth under the mature trees.
    Then you will have to consider the density of your tree canopy to allow sufficient light to fall on the floor. You might like to coppice the Hazel. Any deer in the district will instantly fall onto your coppice, so you might like to thin the deer out a bit.
    Bliss, you have a job for life!

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Sadly spraying back after grubbing out seems to be the way ahead, I do hate chemicals!