Woodfordes Wherry 40 pint real ale kit problem

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Blanco Bill, Oct 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I started the brew ten days ago but the sg wont drop below 1016. Contacted Muntons the kit supplier and have been advised to stir the brew and test again in three days time. Im using a Boots beer maker's thermostatic heater. When ready it will go into my Boots aluminium pressure barrel with 100 grams of sugar. Anybody else had this problem?
  2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

A mate made some a few months ago, got to be some of the best Ale I've ever tasted. So you must be just crap at making beer, I'd throw myself into the canal if I were you. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. you lucky sods - just had a look at the prices of brewing stuff at Wilco. Cheap as bloody chips, that is!
  4. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Kits often stick a little high, but 1016 is too high, so do as they say. I generally leave 12 to 14 days for primary fermentation.

What may have happened is the yeast has settled out early. Though the yeast should be gently roused; vigorous stirring at this point runs the risk of oxidation.

Ah! Just spotted date, so I hope it's fixed now.

For future ref:

Advice seems to be aerate well at the start. Re-hydrate your yeast before pitching. Even add extra yeast from the start.

Look at re-using your yeast too, that way you can start with more. You can rinse the slurry when a brew is finished, but you have to be clean:

5. All OK now. Have siphoned into pressure barrel with 100g sugar. How long, do you recon, before I can sample a wee drop?
  6. If you want to be VERY naughty, you could add the equivalent amount of warm water, some citric acid or lemon juice and some sugar, (can't remember how much, because I never did it, personally...... honest) and make a mash which can be distilled into a form of poteen.

My first wife was a paddy and I laid on a half gallon jug of single potato poteen......

Jayzus, even the priest was crawling around the floor, whimpering...... I overheard the landlord behind the bar saying, " Queer ******* wedding this, haven't sold a single short!"
  7. Brotherton Lad

You should wait a week at least, though sampling a bit every day from now on is tolerated (purely for reasons of quality control and empirical research).

On a serious note, it is worth taking a sample just to learn how the taste alters over time. It will be quite sweet with the new sugar, which will ferment out in about 4 days. Then the bitterness will mellow out and, in slower time, the residual yeast will slowly ferment the more complex dextrins.

It also teaches you the eternal lesson that you need to get another brew on much earlier than you had imagined.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. That's no lie. Brew every two weeks if you can. Your friends will appear out of the woodwork, making this a necessity. Get them involved as well, so one or two of you always has something on the go that needs sampling.
  9. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Ok, want to start brewing. So what is the best complete starter kit and most cosy effective? Seen a few for 60 notes that look ok, but what is your advice troops ?
  10. I started with a kit from wilkinson's for 20 quid. Admittedly, that was about 4 years ago, but that included the syrup. I used old coke bottles bottling.
  11. I'm looking at Coopers at the moment, Weiss Beer.

However for the same price I've just ordered 3 crates of Ale from Wychwood brewery
  12. Oh, Top Tip: no matter what the extract kit instructions say, do not under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use normal sugar for a brew.

No, really.

If you just want cheap alcohol, and you lost your tastebuds in a Wombat-related incident maybe, but otherwise NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
  13. Noticed recently that a lot of CJ Berry's recipies include white, brown or demarera sugar. Were tastebuds different in the 70's?
  14. I cracked open the first couple of bottles from my Coopers lager starter kit at the weekend and was pretty impressed (they are now 2 weeks post bottling). Clear, no yeasty taste, but you can tell it is not a strong lager (around 3.5%). Coopers talk about adding 2 of their sugar drops to a 0.75l bottle, though my set came with .5l bottles and instructions to add just one drop. The beer is not flat, it pours with a good head, but that goes fairly quickly. That is the only downside to what is certainly a drinkable beer. I now have bought a new bitter from Wilkos which talks about adding half a spoon of sugar per bottle. I assume the Coopers sugar drops (which I have a fair few left over) will still do the same job?
  15. Brotherton Lad

They will.

There's several ways to prime the beer. Use a spoon, make a solution and use a syringe, or make a solution and mix all of it into the whole brew at one go (without aerating it and using a sanitised spoon to gently mix it in).