Wooden SLR

Hi all

Am thinking of making my little lad a wooden SLR (prob half size) any idea about where I might find a template and anybody any tips about going about it?

Are you a cock? (wooden)

Why not make him a little wooden Bodleian Library and a wooden Mary Poppins instead. You could shove him up a wooden chimney; 'shtep in time' etc.

Then you could impale youself on a large wooden stake on the front lawn to amuse me.

Best make sure it is painted orange otherwise under New labour's Violent crime Reduction Act you will be a criminal.

Surely a Sten would be easier, a few bits of copper pipe, a spring and a large nut and bolt for a cocking handle, job done.

Surely a Sten would be easier, a few bits of copper pipe, a spring and a large nut and bolt for a cocking handle, job done.
He wants to make a toy, not the real thing.......

Dont forget to make him some foam ear defenders that don't work too.

In 1960 Airfix did this, they also did a Thomson Gun
My fav toy as a kid!

It used to shoot little plastic bullets!

And when the barrel broke off (they nearly all did!), take the mag off and it looked like a SMLE but with a pistol grip!!!

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
half our street had wooden stens knocked up by a joiner who had a workshop in one of the back streets, you could stick the mag in either side which was great being a lefty :)

I made one when I was 15, worked and all.

Demilled sten parts kit off ebay, 80% reciever (also ebay), cut along the dotted lines with a dremel and welded it together with a $20 hobbyist welding kit. Was bloody great fun.

My mum eventually decided having her 15 and 10 year olds out in the woods behind our house shooting things up with a 9mm wasn't a good idea and beat it flat with a sledgehammer.

Shows how simple the thing is though, the tolerances on it are 1/8th of an inch, literally childs play.

(I grew up in the US, wouldn't attempt this in england...also wouldn't be able to buy 9mm ammo from your local gunshop at 15 either haha)

Get a picture off t'web and enlarge it on a photocopier, paste it onto a sheet of marine ply, bandsaw it, add/carve detail and paint.

Not the same as the Johnny 7 I got issued as a 6 year old, but hey ho.

Get a picture off t'web and enlarge it on a photocopier, paste it onto a sheet of marine ply, bandsaw it, add/carve detail and paint.

Not the same as the Johnny 7 I got issued as a 6 year old, but hey ho.
An SLR is slightly bigger than a sheet of A4!