Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Wooden furniture SLR last British use?

In 10 Para recruit cadre at Finchley in 1977 I was issued the one with wooden furniture. All the others had black plastic. I was able to get good groups with it but the action wasn't very reliable - gas-related I think.

I had wooden furniture on my SLR in 89/90 half way through a banner tour we started doing that new fangled one with the catchy name sa80 I believe? but due to a trip to the beach never actually got issued one until went back on banner tour end of 91
I thought Banner tours changed to SA80 in 1988 with 1 Royal Scots. I was there in 1987 and plastic SLR furniture was the norm but some were fitted with wooden furniture.

I was a STAB 86-91. We had three types - all wood (just a few), all Maranyl (just a few) and mixed - mostly Maranyl stocks and wooden foregrips.

I am sorry to say that prior to getting the SA80 in 88 I never even saw a wooden stocked SLR. So In my unit it seemed the important factor was to get get the longest butt possible however big or small you were. Maybe the TA didn't warrant the cool version.

UBA 15839
wooden furniture mismatched wood on butt and stock,as they all were
barrel relatively fresh (not shot out)
probably mouldering in some shithole part of Africa now.

Was the wooden furniture upgraded (for other wooden furniture) at some time?

The pic in the original post shows two slots (like the plastic version) whereas my wooden stock had 3 holes.

Left shoulder SLR I seem to remember was a bit dodgy what with the ejection opening being on the right side!
The spent cartridge ejected forward so not much chance of a burn from it. More chance of a wee bit smoke in your eyes but not much.

The carrying handle on the OP's photo looks wrong, that one looks like the carrying handle from an FN Fal rifle. Can't say I ever saw a carrying handle like that on an SLR, even the ones with wooden furniture. Mind you these days my memory isn't what it was, hell I can forget what I was going to do even as I'm doing it.

The carrying handle looks like it came from an SLR with black plastic furniture. The handle on an SLR with wood was much thicker. I've merged a bit from one of my own pics with the OP's pic to show the "old" handle.

SLR.jpg

Also shows holes rather than slots.

Nope. I fired it left handed in the standing, kneeling and the prone position on numerous occasions with no problems whatsoever.

Same here - no problem left haned with the SLR or the SMG. Never tried left handed with "SA80" - not that daft! Never saw wooden furniture on SLR either

Last edited: