Wooden furniture SLR last British use?

UBA 15839
wooden furniture mismatched wood on butt and stock,as they all were
barrel relatively fresh (not shot out)
probably mouldering in some shithole part of Africa now.

Left shoulder SLR I seem to remember was a bit dodgy what with the ejection opening being on the right side!
Nope. I fired it left handed in the standing, kneeling and the prone position on numerous occasions with no problems whatsoever.

Was the wooden furniture upgraded (for other wooden furniture) at some time?

The pic in the original post shows two slots (like the plastic version) whereas my wooden stock had 3 holes.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Left shoulder SLR I seem to remember was a bit dodgy what with the ejection opening being on the right side!
The spent cartridge ejected forward so not much chance of a burn from it. More chance of a wee bit smoke in your eyes but not much.

The carrying handle on the OP's photo looks wrong, that one looks like the carrying handle from an FN Fal rifle. Can't say I ever saw a carrying handle like that on an SLR, even the ones with wooden furniture. Mind you these days my memory isn't what it was, hell I can forget what I was going to do even as I'm doing it.
The carrying handle looks like it came from an SLR with black plastic furniture. The handle on an SLR with wood was much thicker. I've merged a bit from one of my own pics with the OP's pic to show the "old" handle.

SLR.jpg

Also shows holes rather than slots.

Nope. I fired it left handed in the standing, kneeling and the prone position on numerous occasions with no problems whatsoever.
Same here - no problem left haned with the SLR or the SMG. Never tried left handed with "SA80" - not that daft! Never saw wooden furniture on SLR either

Last edited:
One of the advantages of the SLR over the SA80 is that you can fire the SLR out of either shoulder. If you fire the SA80 out of your left shoulder you get your cheek ripped out by the cocking handle.
You could also beat the crap out of someone with it without bits falling off. Oh, and the end of the bayonet was a long way out in front....

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
A thread about 1989 TV series Saracen got me looking it up, and this image came up
View attachment 339190

So the question is, who and when used a wooden furniture issue SLR?
Dunno, but my DS at Sandhurst many years ago would have viewed that scrim scarf as an existential threat to the moral fibre of the officer corps and strung him up with it whilst shouting things like 'Die you Stab cnut!"

I had wood furniture on my SLR from when I joined in 1971 as a boy soldier. I don't remember exactly when it was changed over but when I joined my battalion in 1973, I was using black plastic furniture. I know it wasn't in the question but a further refinement was the introduction of SUIT sights in 1975/76.
Same here but in 1972 as a Junior Soldier at Canterbury (JIW Howe Bks) my first issue SLR had wooden furniture. Then from 1973 to 1974 at JIB Shorncliffe still had wooden furniture. Once at Battalion 1974 had the Black plastic furniture, IMHO the wooden furniture was better for grip and if you got to wear gloves wool useless, you got to keep a good grip on it

The carrying handle looks like it came from an SLR with black plastic furniture. The handle on an SLR with wood was much thicker. I've merged a bit from one of my own pics with the OP's pic to show the "old" handle.

View attachment 339238

Also shows holes rather than slots.
Pete, the plastic carrying handle for the SLR looked like the one I show below. As you can see mate it's different.

pix460238886.jpg

Not a problem, I'm left eyed as apposed to left handed so I fired from the left. Only slight downside I had was it had a slight kick to the left on ejection.

Last edited:
Not quite as indestructible as Legend may have us believe. I personally saw someone bend a barrel by running face first into a parked Land Rover. The barrel was bent pretty bad. The training team were astounded.

I fired it from the left all my time in service, no problems. Supposedly we couldn't do that with the SMG, but I also managed it.
SMG magazine drills must have been amusing though.

As I try to imagine it, I'm assailed with images of Americans trying to use a knife and fork.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K DIY 46
greyfergie Military History and Militaria 6
Spank-it The NAAFI Bar 37