Woodchip wallpaper - what **** thought that was a good idea?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I mean, seriously.

As part of my ongoing saga of DIYB (Do It Yourself Badly), we're probably going to sell this place, so I'm tarting it up. Finally got round to stripping off the woodchip (some of it at least) in the master bedroom that's been there probably since 1970 judging by the layers of paint on it.

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I mean..... Why was this ever a good idea? The layer between the back of the sheet and the front, i.e the woodchip, seems determined to cling to the wall once the top is off, no matter how much I run the iron over it - I just can't get it off in one sheet.

Floor's ******* covered in the shit, which I'm them carrying around the house with me as it sheds everywhere.

I liken it to the timeless book of interior decorating which includes brown and yellow walls and lately, grey walls, as a passing fad that'll haunt us for years to come.

Anyway, off to iron the stuff off the ceiling now. I mean, seriously. WTF.

Would hiring one of those steam blowing hoover contraptions not be an option? Should save a lot of time and effort.

Or, to borrow a suggestion from your previous DIY threads, just burn it down and claim the insurance? ;)

I mean, seriously.

As part of my ongoing saga of DIYB (Do It Yourself Badly), we're probably going to sell this place, so I'm tarting it up. Finally got round to stripping off the woodchip (some of it at least) in the master bedroom that's been there probably since 1970 judging by the layers of paint on it.

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I mean..... Why was this ever a good idea? The layer between the back of the sheet and the front, i.e the woodchip, seems determined to cling to the wall once the top is off, no matter how much I run the iron over it - I just can't get it off in one sheet.

Floor's ******* covered in the shit, which I'm them carrying around the house with me as it sheds everywhere.

I liken it to the timeless book of interior decorating which includes brown and yellow walls and lately, grey walls, as a passing fad that'll haunt us for years to come.

Anyway, off to iron the stuff off the ceiling now. I mean, seriously. WTF.
I believe the point of it was to hide imperfections in the wall's finish underneath. The uneven texture of the paper draws the eye away from the underlying unevenness of the wall.

Thus; be careful what you wish for. You may find that you exert mucho effort to remove it all, clean up the mess, and then be faced with walls and/or ceiling that need to be refinished before you can paint. Or put more wallpaper on to hide the imperfections :)

You may get lucky, it might have just been a 70s fashion victim that put it up and the walls are sound.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Can I interest you in a turquoise bathroom suite?
Ah, well, interesting you should offer - it may have been originally in mine because under this woodshit, it's all turquoise!

Would hiring one of those steam blowing hoover contraptions not be an option? Should save a lot of time and effort.

Or, to borrow a suggestion from your previous DIY threads, just burn it down and claim the insurance? ;)
A Russell Hobbs iron is the same thing and much better at getting into the nooks and crannies I find. Saves me £32 on the cost of a steamer. Albeit costs me £48 on a new iron.......

Get off your wallet and pay a tradie to do it, you cheap cnut! :wink::wink:
I'm going to, as the whole house needs filling and painting, and I quite frankly can't do it as I don't have the time / motivation / ability not to self harm. However, trying to get a reliable trade around here is like trying to catch a fart in the wind - you get a sniff then it's gone.

I believe the point of it was to hide imperfections in the wall's finish underneath. The uneven texture of the paper draws the eye away from the underlying unevenness of the wall.

Thus; be careful what you wish for. You may find that you exert mucho effort to remove it all, clean up the mess, and then be faced with walls and/or ceiling that need to be refinished before you can paint. Or put more wallpaper on to hide the imperfections :)

You may get lucky, it might have just been a 70s fashion victim that put it up and the walls are sound.
I'll stop you right there squire. I may be many things, but a masochistic **** I am not. There will never be any wallpaper put up in a house of mine. Ever.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Get off your wallet and pay a tradie to do it, you cheap cnut! :wink::wink:
Some really strange people like doing DIY and we know the OP is indeed strange as he is a Mod! :oops:

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Some really strange people like doing DIY and we know the OP is indeed strange as he is a Mod! :oops:
Ah. no sir. If you've read any of my DIY posts in here, you'll know I do not enjoy DIY and often make a complete cock of it.

Replaced a small wall in the back garden that had spalled. YouTube, "How to build a wall", off I went. Six hours later, phoned in a brickie.

"What madman built this monstrosity?!"
"I did..."
".... I mean, good effort and all..."

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Lining paper is a VERY good idea before painting.
Aaaaaahhhhh... That must be the stuff that's started to peel off the back wall... Just plain paper? I thought the wall was just painted. Oh ******* cuntsticks. I thought I could just leave the back wall, but bits started to peel at the edges whilst I was taking the woodshit off.

God ******* damnit.

Aaaaaahhhhh... That must be the stuff that's started to peel off the back wall... Just plain paper? I thought the wall was just painted. Oh ******* cuntsticks. I thought I could just leave the back wall, but bits started to peel at the edges whilst I was taking the woodshit off.

God ******* damnit.
Um, yup.

God ******* damnit.
Is there a faint smell of sulfur in the air at the moment?

Ah, well, interesting you should offer - it may have been originally in mine because under this woodshit, it's all turquoise!

A Russell Hobbs iron is the same thing and much better at getting into the nooks and crannies I find. Saves me £32 on the cost of a steamer. Albeit costs me £48 on a new iron.......

I'm going to, as the whole house needs filling and painting, and I quite frankly can't do it as I don't have the time / motivation / ability not to self harm. However, trying to get a reliable trade around here is like trying to catch a fart in the wind - you get a sniff then it's gone.

I'll stop you right there squire. I may be many things, but a masochistic **** I am not. There will never be any wallpaper put up in a house of mine. Ever.

I think the easiest option, based on the information provided, is to rip out your own eyes while screaming 'de inferno liberabis' (or words to that effect), like that Jurassic Park guy did on Event Horizon (my fav film).

Trust me, it's a lot easier than removing artex/woodchip, and you wouldn't need to see it ever again.

Go on. Do it. You know it makes sense.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
JoeCivvie The NAAFI Bar 191
Joker62 Gaming and Software 0
JRHartley The Intelligence Cell 1