Discussion in 'DIY' started by ugly, Jan 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Being the grandson of a Yorkshireman I'm loath to pay for gas when I can burn wood for free. Trust me I only pay for chains, oil and fuel so free it is.
    I have a fireplace with a current gas fire that a mate will remove and take the ally shite flue out of the chimney for a days pay.
    I have been offered a big woodburner to stick in with some tubing as well for a knockdown less than half price.
    Only hiccough is that it comes with a back boiler. I dont particularly want to fanny about with my heating this year so can I run the burner without using the back boiler?
    if not is there a simple get out?
  2. Why not try giving the boilermaker's customer service number a call? Assuming, of course, that the thing isn't 30' foot long and cylindrical; in which case try the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.
    • Like Like x 6
  3. I've no idea matey however I would pass the observation that a hydraulic logsplitter will make life bearable if you're really looking to heat your home with it. (Speaking from experience!)

Note also that you will probably need to fit a chimney liner (unless the chimney is found to be in good condition) as well as a blanking plate and all that gubbins. Installation/reinstatement of a solid fuel stove or open hearth is a "notifiable works" thing with the local authority unless installed by someone registered with HETAS. Probably worth connecting the back boiler from the start.

(Yes I know it might all be a pain in the harris and you'll just do it your own way and stuff the council but I thought you might like the heads up!)
    • Like Like x 2
  4. If you can fit it into the space and you leave the back boiler vented, then there should be no problem. Make sure it is properly fitted so no smoke/fumes into the house!
  5. The back boiler should come with a pipe attachment that you run outside so all excess steam escapes. Dont bin it whatever you do, they're a great bit of kit and will save you a fortune once you get around to using it.
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ok so opinion is yes I can and should do. I split a couple of ton an hour by hand you puffters. That said thanks anyway, chimney was from a fireplace 1960's build Ex Stab has been there and I have a all bar a blanking plate. sounds good!
    Thanks arrse again, oh unfortunately i cant find out the maker yet as its still in Lewes and also is very old so may be obsolete!
  7. Split it wet, it's easier, but you know what they say about wood, it warms you up three times, as you collect it, as you split it and as you burn it. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I agree, I take as much dry chestnut from the woodmans leftovers on my 70 acres and then cull any dead oaks in the spring. I pick ant dead but still standing diseased hardwood tree and drop it, saw up immediately and then spllit within hours and stack to flog within weeks.
    The already dead standing hardwoods burn very well within a few short weeks of being split!
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Oh Bugger:

Extract taken from HETAS newsletter, September 2008

For full safety alert, please see HSE website.

"The HSE is issuing this safety alert for the attention of individual homeowners, tenant, landlords and the plumbing / heating industry. This is to raise awareness of the potential dangers of lighting a solid fuel fire when a redundant solid fuel back boiler has been left within the fireplace. The alert follows several incidents in the last five years, three of which resulted in serious injury, and sadly in one case, a fatality. The redundant solid fuel back boiler had been left in a sealed condition Sometime later, when a coal fire was lit in front of the boiler, the unit heated up significantly for the internal pressure to cause the boiler casing to explode."

The danger of explosion occurs where a solid fuel back boiler has been drained down over the winter in vacant premises, or where it may have been left in place for the decorative effect of a fire-grate, or covered by a panel or other feature.

HETAS advises that the only positevely safe and reliable way to proceed, when a solid fuel back boiler is no longer needed and the customer wants to continue using the fireplace, is to totally remove the back boiler installation by breaking up the chamber that used to carry the hot water system and removing any pipe work. When an open fire is left in use (or could be brought back into use) a replacement Milner fire bck needs to be installed to ensure that the fire can be safely used.

Similarly a "wet" solid fuel roomheater (stove / parkray / etc) with boiler should not be operated after the water supply has been disconected. These appliances are not designed to be used without water circulation and there could be serious safety issues if mis-used.
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I suppose I could take the back boiler out and replace with a fire brick!
    Or if I am lucky it may be one I can blank off?
  11. Thus providing prooof, if proof were needed, that Yorkshire-bred men are "Strong in't arm, and thick in't 'ead.'
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Aye but I was born on T left side o' Pennines!
  13. You can buy them quite cheap i've been looking to get one fitted, just don't have the time or the money to get the chimney re-lined - again at present.
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have found new ones for under 250 but apparently you dont need to line the chimney if it was built properly?
    I have beenn told that mine will have a lightweight ally flue for the gas fire installed which will need to come out otherwise it could melt. It needs the angle pipes and blanking plates which it has apparently and that should be enough!
    Not sure how the council would look at this but its my house not theirs!
  15. Yes I talked to a heating engineer when I was pricing them up and he said it would probably be cheaper to have the chimney patched up rather than a new liner. I'd keep away from the council and also you may be in a smokeless area so check out what you can and can't burn, then put it out of your mind. My dad burns old telegraph poles to spin his coal out a bit.
    • Like Like x 1