Wood Turning and Other Wood Crafts

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Excellent!
Lots of fun - I liked the vertical slot machine ones that zoomed round & round & round, like pachinko machines.
I'd forgotten pennies don't have the portcullis!
(I'd also be a git and have different size / weight ball bearings ;).)

Shove ha'penny board? Might sell a load of them & this at CAMRA etc festivals. Even a doublesided ha'penny/bagatelle board! Own carry case..

Having said that - if someone mentions monetising something I've done, the first thing is 'Fark off! I did it for fun & learning!'.
Good work, as per usual!

Thank you. Selling my creations is something I find really difficult. For certain, there are some things that will never be sold (Like this Bagatelle board, for example - I'd make others, but this one stays in the family). The hard part about selling is pricing. If I was in London with access to some of the stores there it wouldn't be so hard. Let's use my Bagatelle board as an example. There must me £25-£30 of materials. It took me about 12 hours to make (not including glue and finish curing time) In |Scotland the living wage is £9.50. So that's £114 + £30 = £144, plus various other costs like delivery (that won't be cheap), Then there's those incalculable costs: Electricity, wear on planes and saws, sand paper, brushes, finishes, glue etc etc etc) So we're already at £150.00 - and that's paying myself minimum wage. As someone once said to me "Why are you charging £50.00 for that (handmade, highly polished, unique) salad bowl? I can get one in Tescos for a fiver". Most folk these days don't care about artisan made, unique, individual products. They want cheap with instant gratification. I've even had people balk at paying £10.00 for a hand turned pen!

Thank you. Selling my creations is something I find really difficult. For certain, there are some things that will never be sold (Like this Bagatelle board, for example - I'd make others, but this one stays in the family). The hard part about selling is pricing. If I was in London with access to some of the stores there it wouldn't be so hard. Let's use my Bagatelle board as an example. There must me £25-£30 of materials. It took me about 12 hours to make (not including glue and finish curing time) In |Scotland the living wage is £9.50. So that's £114 + £30 = £144, plus various other costs like delivery (that won't be cheap), Then there's those incalculable costs: Electricity, wear on planes and saws, sand paper, brushes, finishes, glue etc etc etc) So we're already at £150.00 - and that's paying myself minimum wage. As someone once said to me "Why are you charging £50.00 for that (handmade, highly polished, unique) salad bowl? I can get one in Tescos for a fiver". Most folk these days don't care about artisan made, unique, individual products. They want cheap with instant gratification. I've even had people balk at paying £10.00 for a hand turned pen!
Some people don't understand ;quality' 'integrity' and 'unique'. You didn't have to put a penny in there, that's your class showing through!

Yet these folks would happily pay a solicitor or psychotherapist £100 an hour ‘because they have qualifications’. Well there’s a tree, here’s a fiver, do me a bowl then… ØA complains that I’m grumpy when we visit her sister, this is because she usually has a list of ‘little jobs’ for me because her husband (annual bonus several times what I ever earned in a year) is feckin useless with his hands, and she’d rather spend £5k on a handbag than get a tradesman in…
Rant over…

Just a quick trip back in time. Many on here will remember those good old days before games went "Bleep", before screens, charging cables and buttons to press. Back when a favourite game from the late 19th and early 20th Centuries was Bagatelle.

I've used my newly learned skill of Steam Bending to produce this, my recreation of those old Bagatelle games. It's about 80cm in length and played with 12mm steel ball bearings. Each hole has a brass base except for one - the bonus point hole which contains a polished Portcullis one Penny coin - the same type as is used on nearly all my projects as a form of a Touch Mark. You may be able to guess why I use such a marker...

Does this bring back any memories of youth?
View attachment 672312
View attachment 672313
View attachment 672315
I think thats brilliant and unusual .

Latest Threads