Wood Turning and Other Wood Crafts

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
I just wanted to show off my latest piece of wood turning. It's an oak candlestick finished with clear wax. I made it as a presentation piece for my church which soon celebrates it's 100th anniversary. I made it in two pieces so the candlestick was turned separately from the base. The candlestick was turned with a peg to fit into a hole in the base. Epoxy was then used to marry them together, and a brass candleholder epoxied into a hole in the top.

20150805_100955.jpg

Last edited:

Forlorn Hope

Old-Salt
very nice

BratMedic

RIP
RIP
Oh.....I thought it was about that enigma bloke at Bletchly Park.

BratMedic

RIP
RIP
Nice job though.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
What does it represent in term of hours spent?

About 10 hours all in. Not including the first attempt that exploded on the lathe because it had a flaw deep in the wood, or the second attempt that cracked.

Excellent, very well done. I can recommend carnuba wax in stick form; apply a fine layer then burnish with a hard rag for a durable finish.

Sent from my GT-P5220 using Tapatalk

olafthered

LE
Book Reviewer
Legs, I have a fair bit of hawthorne wood and will soon have some pine, all from trees which used to be in the back garden, PM if you want some.

What sort of lathe do you have? Was only the other day talking to a chap in the pub aboutt sourcing a tabletop one..

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
What sort of lathe do you have? Was only the other day talking to a chap in the pub aboutt sourcing a tabletop one..

One of these: Clarke CWL1000 Wood Turning Lathe
060610685.jpg

It's not bad. Changing speed is a bit fiddly as you have to undo the cover and move a belt on the pulley wheels. The one meter bed is a good size. An essential addition is a 4 jaw chuck:

xx.PNG

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
My latest piece. I turned the base from a random log in my workshop and the colours stunned me once it was waxed. I then fitted the electrics and made the shade. Very pleased with it!

lamp2 (1).jpg
lamp2 (2).jpg

Very nice.

However, legs you are a split arse, step away from the lathe and you certainly can't have a workshop.

Get in the bloody kitchen where you belong. (T, strong, milk no sugar).