Wondering if true

Discussion in 'RAC' started by fuzzhead, Jan 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had the chance to go inside the scimiter challenger and another armoured vehicle cant remember but wasnt a warrior and each one I went In I was told that the loader sits on the step into the tank and when not loading the gun that he just makes the hot beverages just wondering if this is actually true or the yeomanry who told me where just trying to big up the job ?

2. On Challenger 2 the loader/operator has a seat that attaches to the safety rail, but is usually only used on exercise. During ops or live firing on ranges this is removed by any half decent operator as it gets in the way of your charge bins, playing havoc with your loading and re-stows.
    And yes, the operator is the dinner lady and brew supplier as the BV is next to you, but you are also busy with comms and other signal related shit. In the days of the VRC353 you had 2 of them to monitor, usually Battlegroup net and Squadron net, so was always busy with BATCO wallets, and had every plastic insert from the 7.62 ammo boxes gaffa taped to any surface available for jutting down BATCO with a lumicolour.
    It's all become much easier now with Bowman, but CR2 operator was a great job on ranges and ops.

3. Bloody hell seems that guy gets stuck with all the hard jobs

4. Was never easy trying to decode a message whilst travelling cross country flat out, BATCO wallet and brew in one hand, B&H and lumi pen in the other!
    Was even worse as operator on the Sqn Ldrs waggon, you had 3 sets to monitor, Battlegroup, Squadron and Brigade, and I've only got 2 ears!

5. Bad system that is

6. And your experience that allows you to make that comment is? That's the way it is and why the Loader/Op is usually a senior switched on guy who is going to go places. Its called progression.

7. What nets do the commander and gunner monitor? Troop and intercom?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

8. Bad system in the fact that to moniter 3 channels at once isnt sensible any person with half a brain can see that anyhow I presume theres not a better way.

9. The commander has Battlegroup and Sqn net, but its easy for him to miss a message as he is also doing 101 other things, ie map reading, giving the driver directions, watching for obstacles, other vehicles, grunts on the ground etc etc.
    The gunner doesn't usually have any net selected other than live IC, as gunners are usually Troopers, with only basic sigs training.
    Basically, the operators job is 2ic of the wagon, and does as much as he can to to take as much pressure and work away from the commander, leaving him to concentrate on other matters.
    A loader/operator is 99% of the time, a L/Cpl or a Cpl, with sufficient experience on the wagon and signals skills.

• Like Like x 1
  10. What happens when a new crew commander gets it wrong!
    Reinforces the fact that as a crew commander, you need to be on the ball, and the more your loader/operator does, the better. Hope the pic works, never tried posting one before.

Attached Files:

11. Are you suggesting that we breed tank crewmen with three ears?

An experienced commander will be able to contribute to an ongoing tactical conversation on the Sqn net, monitor and understand what is going on on the BG net, direct his both his driver to get the tank in the right place and not get stuck and his gunner to scan the right areas. He will also be able to read a map, know where he and the rest of his C/Ss are, continue a conversation with his crew about girls/sport/best night out or whatever else and accept a steaming cup of coffee and a lit cigarette from his loader all concurrently and all while travelling at 30-40kph cross-country. Believe it or not, you do get the hang of it after a while. In my experience, you can train yourself to monitor up to three nets concurrently (depending on how busy they are), but you do need to prioritise between two of them, as one will inevitably drown out the other when pumped into the same ear.