Womens Social and Political Union/Womens Suffrage Movement

Whilst the BBC and Press have been lauding praises on the 100th anniversary of the Suffragettes,, they have omitted to mention the acts of terrorism committed by them between February 1913 and February 1914. Some of you may know that I record acts of terrorism and serious criminal acts against transport, and a quick glance at those I have recorded world-wide during the period (not necessarily complete) reveals that 21 of the 24 incidents recorded, were directly attributable to the Suffragettes:

Some summaries from the records, mainly against Railways, are included below for interest:

09 March 1913 (Railways)

GREAT BRITAIN (ENGLAND)

On 09 March 1913, Suffragettes attacked Saunderton station, in Buckinghamshire, burning down the main building. Placards reading "Votes for Women" and "Burning to get the Vote" were left on the platform. They may have chosen Saunderton Station because it was near to Benjamin Disraeli's birthplace at Bradenham Manor. Saunderton lies on the line between HighWycombe and Princes Risborough.

On the same day as the attack on Saunderton Railway Station in Buckinghamshire, Suffragettes carried out a similar attack on the Railway Station at Croxley Green in Hertfordshire, again gutting the Platform building in an arson attack. The news of the attacks gained widespread coverage in the Commonwealth, reaching as far as Australia. The attack on Croxley Green Station was not initially attributed to the Womens Suffrage Movement or other militants until a copy of the Suffragette Newspaper was later delivered to the Station Master, with a scribbled note stating: “Afraid the copy we left got burnt in the fire”. Earlier in the evening, a group of ladies, later identified as Suffragettes, approached the village policeman, asking for directions to Croxley Green Station. He was happy to help them!
26 April 1913 (Railways)

GREAT BRITAIN (ENGLAND)

April 26marks the 100th anniversary of the historic fire, which burnt out threecompartments of the 9.15pm train from London Waterloo to Teddington in1913. London and South WesternRailway’s staff magazine the South Western Gazette said: “It seemed at first asif the whole train was doomed to destruction as a strong wind was blowing whichcarried the flames from one compartment to another. In less than a quarter of an hour the entire compartment of asecond-class coach had been burnt out from the floor to the roof.” A policeman who spotted the flames at about 3am raised the alarm and firefighters put out the blaze before the whole train was destroyed.
Partially burnt candles, four cans of petroleum, three of which were empty, a basket containing cotton wool and suffragette literature were discovered onboard. Women’s footprints were found in Fairfax Road, where the suffragettes managed to remove a 6ft fence to enter the siding between Hampton Wick and Teddington where the train was parked overnight. An edition of the Guardian newspaper published on 03 May 1913, said suffragette literature and postcards addressed to “dishonourable MPs” were also found near the carriage. It was thought the suffragettes slipped past railway workers and waited until they were tucking into a meal to launch their attack. No one was ever charged for the incident, but suspicion fell on to German-born actress Kitty Marion, who was convicted for starting a fire at Hurst Park racecourse near Hampton Court on 08 June 1913.

17 October 1913 (Railways)

GREAT BRITAIN (ENGLAND)

On 17 October 1913, suffragettes were reported to have attempted to burn down Heaton Station, near Newcastle. According to contemporary press coverage, one of the porters had smelled burning: he saw smoke coming from the direction of the ladies’ waiting room and upon investigation found a large cardboard box behind one of the lavatory doors. It contained open tins of oil, fire-lighters soaked in oil and a piece of candle. It had been positioned in such away that, once alight, it would ignite the contents of the box and then the door. Had it not been discovered the station may well have been destroyed as it was constructed almost entirely of wood. A few weeks previously Kenton Station had been burned to the ground

Mandela was the leader of a terrorist organisation. He was tried and convicted for his terrorist and subversive activities. And we know how the BBC get over excited about him.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Mandela did his sentence.

Apart from the political correctness of women getting the vote, the Suffragettes were basically terrorists. Letter bombs, IED on public buildings (therefore the risk of death to ordinary people) I will give grudging acknowledgement that there was no express intent to kill, not a canary or cat, but it is still reckless to put an IED anywhere. However, their lesser crimes were criminal damage, on quite a large scale, and I would have not thought that any one of those crimes is exempt because of the Women's Movement.

Its usually inappropriate to judge the past by modern standards, and by that I mean the label of terrorists. Criminal damage and attempted murder were still crimes in the times of the Suffragettes and I would have no issue if they had been convicted.

I think they should celebrate the 100th anniversary by making us all a nice cup of tea.

ACAB

LE
Mnnnn,

It is not widely known that as well as The Suffragettes being granted the right to vote so were 'Soldiers in Barracks'.

Ponder that if you will.........

syrup

LE
Mnnnn,

It is not widely known that as well as The Suffragettes being granted the right to vote so were 'Soldiers in Barracks'.

Ponder that if you will.........

I posted over in the other thread that at the same time as you mention when certain women got the vote so did working class men over 21.
However many working class men didn't get to use it as they died in the war or were fighting but still to young to vote.
Many of the casualties will have died without ever having the right to vote but that seems to have been overlooked

I read a lot of this some years ago, and came to the conclusion that the leader of any 1970's Marxist-Leninist freedom fighting terrorist group would easily recognise the cell structure and acts against communications hubs of the Suffragettes.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Best thing about The Suffragettes, is they are all dead!

Mandela did his sentence.

Apart from the political correctness of women getting the vote, the Suffragettes were basically terrorists. Letter bombs, IED on public buildings (therefore the risk of death to ordinary people) I will give grudging acknowledgement that there was no express intent to kill, not a canary or cat, but it is still reckless to put an IED anywhere. However, their lesser crimes were criminal damage, on quite a large scale, and I would have not thought that any one of those crimes is exempt because of the Women's Movement.

Its usually inappropriate to judge the past by modern standards, and by that I mean the label of terrorists. Criminal damage and attempted murder were still crimes in the times of the Suffragettes and I would have no issue if they had been convicted.

Relax.

We’re big buddies with Israel, and Israel was founded upon terrorism.

Time is a great healer.

... Many of the casualties will have died without ever having the right to vote but that seems to have been overlooked
Hardly. But there was a definite linkage at the time between the case for extending the vote to all men over 21, and the case for permitting some women to vote. The Suffragists and Suffragettes suspended their campaigns for the duration of the war and encouraged women to work in munitions, nursing and other vital work. The result was the Representation of the People Act 1918.

Think above the time and type of crime you could have been before the beak for?

Stamping VOTE FOR WOMEN on a penny was a crime.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Relax.

We’re big buddies with Israel, and Israel was founded upon terrorism.

Time is a great healer.
Did Israel ever commit a terrorist attack in UK?

As I said, its a mistake to judge the past by the rules of the present. However, even in the Suffragettes time, setting bombs in your own country was illegal and if anyone died, punishable by death.

Terrorist actions cannot be forgiven, or a free pass, or pardon. We are never going to let the Pan Am bombers off, even when the only one we could prosecute died. Nor the killers of Yvonne Fletcher. Nor the perpetrators of the Warrington bomb, or Manchester or Birmingham.

Terrorist actions cannot be forgiven, or a free pass, or pardon. We are never going to let the Pan Am bombers off, even when the only one we could prosecute died. Nor the killers of Yvonne Fletcher. Nor the perpetrators of the Warrington bomb, or Manchester or Birmingham.
Sinn Féin seemed to make out alright......

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Sinn Féin seemed to make out alright......
Yes I know. I know, and I say this is some exasperation, it was necessary.

Did Israel ever commit a terrorist attack in UK?

As I said, its a mistake to judge the past by the rules of the present. However, even in the Suffragettes time, setting bombs in your own country was illegal and if anyone died, punishable by death.

They certainly committed terrorist acts against British people. Quite a lot.

Up to a point, judging the past by today is difficult.

Murdering dozens of people for political ends, in the modern era (post WW2) you can’t shrug off as quaint historical curiosities.

Did the Suffragettes murder anyone?

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
They certainly committed terrorist acts against British people. Quite a lot.

Up to a point, judging the past by today is difficult.

Murdering dozens of people for political ends, in the modern era (post WW2) you can’t shrug off as quaint historical curiosities.

Did the Suffragettes murder anyone?
No They did not, but the attempts were serious. Attempted murder certainly.

Latest Threads