Women's Rugby World Cup '17

As this started today, thought it's worth a post.

Watching Eng v Spain, the highlights so far are an English hat-trick by minute 30, and the spanish no.9 attempting to tackle an English 2nd row by jumping on her, piggy-back style!!

Currently 34-5 after 49 minutes. Sounds like a bit of a mismatch.

As will be Wales v NZ, which is Wales's first match. Not looking forward to that!

As this started today, thought it's worth a post.

Watching Eng v Spain, the highlights so far are an English hat-trick by minute 30, and the spanish no.9 attempting to tackle an English 2nd row by jumping on her, piggy-back style!!
Which one are you?

On a serious note the women sportsmen are showing the blokes how to win these days.

Ah, here we go ... from the BBC feed ...

"As you would expect of the four-time champions, New Zealand are dominating this first half.

They have been camped in Wales' half and, after some patient phase play, quick hands free Stacey Waaka, who touches down in the corner for their second try.

Kendra Cocksedge misses her second conversion but one suspects goal-kicking will be largely academic in this game
."

Ah, here we go ... from the BBC feed ...

"As you would expect of the four-time champions, New Zealand are dominating this first half.

They have been camped in Wales' half and, after some patient phase play, quick hands free Stacey Waaka, who touches down in the corner for their second try.

Kendra Cocksedge misses her second conversion but one suspects goal-kicking will be largely academic in this game
."
That goalkicker - bet the changing room and bar pisstakes are endless from her teammates

Meanwhile, committing hari kari....
'I find watching the game arduous' - Former Ireland international in controversial rant about women's rugby - Independent.ie

Apparently due to their rubbish performances in previous cups, Saru is pouring the cash into 'development' and aiming to field a side in the xt world cup.
(yes, we've heard that one before, haven't we?)
Not separate development, Shirley?

Saw England-France on froggie TV last night, thought it to be very suitably physical with some decent play, and screw ups, on both sides. One is hoping more will be on froggie TV later, even highlights

Watched the Eng/Fra game on ITV4 last night and was quite impressed. Some poor handling in parts but in the 'pissing it down' conditions even the men's game is happy to use that as an excuse when the ball is dropped or the pass is at bootlaces. It ain't Premiership, but my home team has been playing at Level 6 for the past few seasons (promoted to Level 5 now) and last night's game was a damn sight better than nearly all of the matches I've endured in recent seasons.

Been a cracking competition so far, England vs NZ will be a tough one, I coach a Ladies team and we've had loads of new recruits the last couple weeks.
And that's what it should be all about.
I know the 7s are looking to incorporate a ladies 7s at a lot of the big events from 2019.
At present it is just Vegas which does it properly, but I'd be happy to see the format changed so that the plate/bowl/spoon matches are played on a reserve field, and the ladies get a look-in on the big stage.

They've done well putting Ladies on after main events at HQ, trouble is....not many folks stay to watch them. Skill levels are improving, as is the structure and pattern of play, whilst still not being dominant on physical size like the mens game. They also learn bloody quick, always asking questions, wanting to know why they need to do stuff.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
They've done well putting Ladies on after main events at HQ, trouble is....not many folks stay to watch them. Skill levels are improving, as is the structure and pattern of play, whilst still not being dominant on physical size like the mens game. They also learn bloody quick, always asking questions, wanting to know why they need to do stuff.
Noticed that a few years back, daughter got tickets for Eng v Wales at HQ (we lost, so daughter is now banned from watching Eng at home with me ;)), ladies game straight after, crowd went from capacity to around 500!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
And that's what it should be all about.
I know the 7s are looking to incorporate a ladies 7s at a lot of the big events from 2019.
At present it is just Vegas which does it properly, but I'd be happy to see the format changed so that the plate/bowl/spoon matches are played on a reserve field, and the ladies get a look-in on the big stage.
Vegas and a couple of others do a 3 day 7s tournament which gives time for the women's competition, Twickenham is lucky to have the 2 day version as locals are kicking off about the noise(?) and mess!
Rugby chiefs scrap fancy dress theme for London Sevens tournament

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'll stick my head above the parapet and say the ladies game does very little for me tbh..... I appreciate its probably not pc to say as much and I might feel differently if a member of the family was involved etc but as a spectator sport (for me personally) it's a non starter.