Women in the Royal Yeomanry

I have recently signed up to W Sqn and I am aware of the current changes in hand but does anybody have an idea on the future roles for women in the yeomanry, whether or not they will continue to be as varied as now or if they will restrict us?

i believe the medical and logistics will stay but i was wondering about tank crew members and so on as my senior officer is telling me they will probably withdraw those roles
I think the Royal Yeomanry's main role is armoured isn't it? I doubt they'll get rid of the tanks (if they have any) when they fill roles for tanky regiments.

I would wager that the best people to ask about this will be found at your new regiment rather than on the interweb.

The roles available here at QOY are the same as those mentioned by h301593. Some women have picked up an H licence (useful if you're SHQ or REME for instance), but as far as I'm aware the position on women in 'front line' roles haven't changed so the options are unlikely to include crewperson.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Nobody really knows what's going to happen to the Yeomanry anyway. A2020 calls for integration with Regular Units, some of whom will be armoured but some of whom will end up with Jackal so CR2/Scimitar crewman roles will likely be withdrawn from some Yeomanry Squadrons. Whether the Yeomanry will even continue to exist as a separate entity is uncertain, so you'll need to wait a while before you get an answer that isn't just guesswork. If I were you, I'd join up and enjoy the benefits of armour while you can.

Nobody really knows what's going to happen to the Yeomanry anyway. A2020 calls for integration with Regular Units, some of whom will be armoured but some of whom will end up with Jackal so CR2/Scimitar crewman roles will likely be withdrawn from some Yeomanry Squadrons. Whether the Yeomanry will even continue to exist as a separate entity is uncertain, so you'll need to wait a while before you get an answer that isn't just guesswork. If I were you, I'd join up and enjoy the benefits of armour while you can.
I thought it was pretty clear in the A2020 briefings: 3 Yeo Regts will convert to Lt Cav, and 1 to Armd Reinfocment.

Implementation order is still a year or two away, so until then - crack on girlies!

I thought it was pretty clear in the A2020 briefings: 3 Yeo Regts will convert to Lt Cav, and 1 to Armd Reinfocment.

Implementation order is still a year or two away, so until then - crack on girlies!
I've read the other thread about the re-role to Lt Cav and it seems about as clear as mud. Some people think its CLP's and others are convinced its an 'up stream' SF style role.

Moreover, which Squadrons are doing what?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I have recently signed up to W Sqn and I am aware of the current changes in hand but does anybody have an idea on the future roles for women in the yeomanry, whether or not they will continue to be as varied as now or if they will restrict us?
If you are female, in London and want to tear about the countryside in a tracked vehicle blowing up stuff then pop over to South London and join 106 (Yeomanry) Regt RA (V), big changes coming in the next couple of years that will fill your combat fetish.

Want more info PM me

tseks said:

i believe the medical and logistics will stay but i was wondering about tank crew members and so on as my senior officer is telling me they will probably withdraw those roles

their main roles are reconnaissance, tanks and cbrn although cbrn is being removed due to the new 2020 reshape so their future roles are slightly unknown at the moment which is quite disappointing and I cant get straight answers anywhere :(
Ah, my beloved Westminster Dragoons.

tseks, just how senior is your senior officer? I am wondering whether I have licence to thrash him to within an inch of his life.

First, the RY's role has been confirmed as light cavalry. What "light cavalry" actually means is still being worked out, for the regulars and the reserve. There is a thread on this topic: http://www.arrse.co.uk/rac/187169-army-2020-structure-light-dragoons-royal-dragoon-guards.html

Working this out is going to take a while, so in the meantime the plan is to carry on doing the same training the RY have been doing for years, plus some new stuff to take into account the new kit: phase 1 (TSC(A) and (B)), followed by Bowman, driving Cat B, Land Rover Fam, RAC Yeoman Tactics, GMG, GPMG and HMG, driving Cat C, R-WMIK driver and operator.

I have not seen or heard anything which suggests that you will not be able to do all of these.

There is a possibility that the new role, when it is worked out and when it is implemented, will be a "no ladies" role. But by then, the general opening-up of combat roles to women might have worked in the opposite direction.

By all means check out the Gunners of 160 Regt RA but not that the big changes coming to them are a couple of years off too!