WOMEN IN INF UNITS (TA)

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by MG_GUNNER, Aug 19, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. DOES ANYONE KNOW THE DEFINITIVE ANSWER TO THE EMPLOYMENT OF WOMEN IN INF UNITS (TA). OUR BN HAS PUT A BLANKET BAN ON RECRUITMENT OF WOMEN BUT AS FAR AS I KNOW THEY ARE STILL TAKEN ON CIC.

OUR BN HAS QUITE A NUMBER IN RIFLE OR SUPPORT PLATOONS, THEY WERE TOLD A WHILE AGO THAT THEY WOULD HAVE TO BE REBADGED AGC OR LEAVE. NOTHING SEEMS TO HAVE HAPPENED.

THIS IS A QUEST FOR INFO AND NOT A 'SHOULD WOMEN BE IN THE INF' QUESTION.

2. As an Armd Corps Regt we used to have women in the Sabre Tps. That has now changed and we have not been recruiting women for sometime. In each Sqn we have slots for upto 3 women. 1 as AGC admin support and 2 in SHQ/Admin Tp. We also have RAMC capbadged as part of our recruiting team. The SHQ women are the only ones cap badged to the Regt.

My Sqn has all slots currently filled and so I will not be allowed to recruit anymore women.

3. AKA

AKA

Why do the Corps have to suffer them if the teeth arms don't?? Sure we got some good females, very good in fact, that get on with business but some, Jesus wept, if they ain't whinging and moaning they ain't in!!

The fault lays with the blokes, if we didn't treat them with kid gloves they wouldn't keep turning up, if a guy behaved in a way similar to some of the girls he'd get ragged from pillar to post if not a good kicking! But blokes have it in their heads that shouting at women is wrong or they go all soft and gooey or even more annoying that female may be assuming the rank of who ever they may be shagging at the time!!

Its time for a review of all trades and as to whether females can complete the tasks that their trade involves. You may be capable of driving a DROPS but if you can’t change the wheel then you can’t do the job!!
    Females are less physical but most of it is a state of mind, they think they can’t do it so they won’t! Is it just me or have discipline standards slipped since the WRAC was disbanded and the percentage of females in the forces increased??

4. Sooner or later, a smart woman is going to remark, that the Crabs have women flying Air Defence fighters...

Now if the crabair is prepared to invest $3,000,000+ in training a woman to fly in an offensive/defensive role, then why can't women serve in an Infantry unit.

It's the 21st Century, if  a woman, is prepared to do the same training as a man to reach the required "bar level" standard , then why not?

As long as they are prepared for what can happen, if they get lifted by the other side in a combat role.......

5. ITS GOING THE WAY OF 'SHOULD WOMEN BE IN THE TEETH ARM' I JUST WANTED TO KNOW WHAT THE F##K IS GOING ON COS OUR FEMALES ARE UP IN ARMS COS NOONE CAN GIVE THEM A DEFINITIVE ANSWER.

6. AKA

AKA

What did I tell ya, birds gobbin off again, breakin down discipline, come back the good old days when they were nigh on a seperate service!!

7. They're not 'gobbing off' they just want to know whats going on. Why all this female bashing? Our females are very capable and will be missed if they have to leave.

Do they have to leave? Can anybody tell me. ???

8. AKA

AKA

Yours are better than an element of ours then and no I can't tell you. Best go to a European court for an answer to that one :-/ :-/

9. I bet '''an element''' of our men are better than yours as well, all units have good and bad , its just a matter of weeding out the bad.

10. Gunner
    I'm very rusty on this (was a TA Adjt once) so haven't got a definitive answer on the status on women in TA infantry - but I can't face another thread decending into the "it's not fair 'cos girls..." depths. ::)

I believe (and could be wrong) that there is no legislation preventing female recruits joining a TA infantry unit (an oversight in TA regs I think).  They are also allowed on TA CIC, so in theory there is no bar to infantry cap badged female TA soldiers.  However, since SDR, most units have identified a certain number of posts that can be female roled - usually AGC, and won't recruit girls beyond those roles.  Solders who are already in are variously re-roled, encouraged to join a different TA unit, or just treated so badly that they leave. :(

A CO has a lot of power in these matters (he can choose to overbear on posts for example, so even if the law is that you can only have 6 women, he could overbear each post and have 12).  Equally he can be a tit and refuse to let women in.

My view is that we all know a TA infantry unit would have a major shake-up before deployment on ops (if that is ever going to happen again!) and people in many posts would be replaced.  Women in a TA infantry unit would not deploy with them on HIW ops, but then neither would most of the officers' mess in some units!  In the meantime it is well worth having good quality highly motivated women serving in the units as they:

- fill slots that might otherwise be gapped.
    - are just as useful during MACC and MACP tasks as men
    - can be damn good
    - make the place look nice (oh, I'm going straight to hell for that one!) ;D

So, dunno.  Unfortunately it probably does depend on your CO at the time.  Just ask him if he is fully recruited with men at the moment.  If not, why is he getting rid of women?  If he is, well I doubt it will stay that way once the girls go if they are treated shoddily. :mad:

11. AKA

AKA

MG - Was that a bite? Are you trying to get a "teeth arm" "support arm" argument going on? Better at what?

Anyway staying objective. You will probably find that they will have to leave, who recruited them into front line positions in the first place. It is MoD policy that they can't serve in combat roles strangly supported by the Government. (Mrs Blair hasn't got her teeth into that one yet)

We have had similar experience, the unit recruited females into what was once a male only trade, not a combat role I grant you but it hasn't worked out either, not for want of trying on their part but they just wern't up to the job!! Sometimes you have to draw a line!!

12. AKA;; i GRANT YOU THAT SOME WOMEN ARE NOT UP TO THE JOB, BUT I KNOW MEN WHO ARE NOT UP TO THE JOB TOO, THESE SEEM TO BE TOLERATED, THE WOMEN ARE ACUSSED OF TRYING TO DO A MANS JOB (I'VE OVERSIMPLYFIED THAT ONE).

THE WOMEN WERE ACCEPTED INTO A INF UNIT, PASSED CIC AND SUDDENLY THEIR PROGRESSSION STOPPED. SCBC WILL NOT TAKE WOMEN.

I HAVENT MADE UP MY MIND ON WOMEN IN THE INF BUT IT SEEMS TO ME IF THEY JOINED IN GOOD FAITH THEN THEY SHOULD GET THJE SAME CHANCE AS THE REST OF US. THE SAME STANDARDS SOULD APPLY IF THEY COME UPTO THAT STANDARD, FINE,  IF NOT, NO PROMOTION, JUST LIKE THE REST OF US. (THE EXCEPTION BEING THOSE WHO GET PROMOTED NO MATTER HOW BAD THET ARE -)

13. AKA

AKA

Now we are starting to see eye to eye, this is the element or part of it I am talking about, we don't need to go back to "the worst PSI I ever knew" thread to know what we are talking about? I just think that the Army was more disciplined when the WRAC was still around!

I understand your comment about good faith and how angry they must be but at the end of the day there are things that women can do better than men and vice versa. We all need to grow up and realise that life isn't fair and except it, we can't all do what we want to do. For instance sometimes I want to kill Tony Blair but I'm not allowed so I won't, lifes not fair and I'm excepting it. ;D ;D ;D

14. ok - here are the facts as far as I am concerned.
    I am AGC, attached to an infantry battalion. I joined 5 years ago as an infantryman and did CIC.
    2 years later it was decided that women could not be in the infantry, and all existing females were required to rebadge. This lasted approx a year when they changed their minds again and women could join the infantry. So we had a couple of females join and do CIC, then, in true military style, they changed their minds again and women had to rebadge.

The current status is women cannot join the infantry and cannot do CIC. Any female recruits we have, do their modules the same as the lads, but instead of CIC, they do a course in their chosen profession i.e. medics, chef etc.

This may change again in the near future.....

15. IF WOMEN CANNOT DO CIC THEN WHY IS A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE DRAWING HER SECOND ISSUE OF KIT AND GOING ON SAID COURSE.

CIC IS STILL OPEN TO WOMEN.

WHAT THE HELLS GOING ON ???