Women in Combat (ish)

Discussion in 'US' started by Canader, Oct 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/03/world/asia/03marines.html?_r=1&th&emc=th

For Female Marines, Tea Comes With Bullets
    But the three female Marines and their patrol were shot at late on a recent day, when a burst of Kalashnikov rifle fire came from a nearby compound. The group hit the ground, crawled into a ditch and aimed its guns across the fields of cotton and corn.
    In their sights they could see the source of the blast: an Afghan man who had shot aimlessly from behind a mud wall, shielded by a half-dozen children. The women held their fire with the rest of the patrol so as not to hit a child, waited for the all-clear, then headed back to the base, survivors of yet another encounter with the enemy.
    “You still get that same feeling, like, ‘Oh, my gosh, I’m getting shot at,’ ” said Lance Cpl. Stephanie Robertson, 20, speaking of the firefights that have become part of her life in Marja. “But you know what to do. You’re not, like, comfortable, because you’re just — ” She stopped, searching for how to describe her response to experiences that for many would be terrifying. “It’s like muscle memory.”
    Six months ago, Lance Corporal Robertson arrived in Afghanistan with 39 other female Marines from Camp Pendleton, Calif., as part of an unusual experiment of the American military: sending full-time “female engagement teams” out with all-male infantry patrols in Helmand Province to try to win over the rural Afghan women who are culturally off limits to outside men.
    As new faces in an American counterinsurgency campaign, the female Marines, who volunteered for the job, were to meet with Pashtun women over tea in their homes, assess their need for aid, gather intelligence, and help open schools and clinics.
    They have done that and more, and as their seven-month deployment in southern Afghanistan nears an end their “tea as a weapon” mission has been judged a success. But the Marines, who have been closer to combat than most other women in the war, have also had to use real weapons in a tougher fight than many expected.
    Here in Marja — which, seven months after a major offensive against the Taliban, is improving but remains one of the most dangerous places in Afghanistan — the female Marines have daily skirted the Pentagon rules restricting women in combat. They have shot back in firefights and ambushes, been hit by homemade bombs and lived on bases hit by mortar attacks.
    None of the 40 women have been killed or seriously injured, and a number have worked in stable areas where the shooting has stopped, but many have seen good friends die.
    One of the women, Cpl. Anica Coate, 22, was on patrol in early September in southern Marja five feet behind Lance Cpl. Ross S. Carver, 21, when he was shot through the mouth and killed by an insurgent sniper. Corporal Coate was the first to reach him, but she could not stop the bleeding. A week later, at a memorial service in Marja for her friend and two other Marines killed around the same time, she said she would not volunteer for the female engagement teams again.
    “It’s not the living conditions, it’s not the mission, it’s this,” she said, gesturing toward a memorial display of boots, rifles and dog tags belonging to the dead Marines. She was, she said quietly, “too much of a girl to deal with these guys getting killed.”
  2. I think the Danes have similar all girl patrols... they don't call them by the same gash name though.
  3. I was sharing accommodation with some of these women in one of the FOBs (they were quite fit as well). They couldnt speak pashtu which I would have thought might have been a bit of a drawback but they seem to do okay. They didnt really view themselves as going into combat although they knew their drills if they came under fire.
  4. What did they look like in the dark, upside down?
  5. Yep, sign me up for one of their patrols. I'm all in.

Seriously, you have to give that one BAM credit. She flat out said she was a girl and couldn't handle the deaths. More power too her. I only wish more men would do the samething.

6. What admit they're to much of a girl for combat?. There were a few chicks in the Canadian LAV coy on H4 though admittedly they were women in the loosest sense of the word, they had shorter hair then I did.
  7. Oh how soon we forget.

If anyone has any doubts of the ability of women to be all out killing machines, they need look no further than Vasquez from Aliens. She carried the same kit, killed the same aliens as the other marines without schimfing once. In fact I'd be as bold to say she was better than a lot of them, especially that **** Spunkmeyer who was that much of a fanny he wasn't even allowed off the dropship.

So anyone who has doubts should look to our past and see the outstanding example set by this Colonial Marine, I know it's actually in the future and hasn't happened yet but hey who cares.

8. Wasn't spunkmeyer in the car?
  9. Don't be ridiculous, that was Frost, another fablon biffchited MT Wallah.
  10. Absolutely not. I am married to a woman who would kick the living shit out of you, and most of the people on this board. My wife is a professional bodybuilder and, when we do classes (training for you brits), its difficult for me to keep up with her. However, SHE is the exception to the rule. Most women just cannot physically and, for that matter, psychologically keep up with the killing, etc. This BAM (for you Brits, a BAM, is a Broad Assed Marine), said it like it is and I applaud her for it.

Again, I've put it openly on here. In 1983, I spent 11 months in Beruit, Lebanon. We were some of the first combat troops since the Vietnam War. Many guys I was attached too, were the toughest guys I could imagine; made me feel like Harvey Milktoast. The first time shells started falling and sniper fire came in? These same guys were crying, yelling for "momma," and hiding. The geeks, dweebs, and dorks; you people put down today, were the ones covering my ass.

I am a police officer and work with women who are 4'11" and weigh 90 lbs. However, on CERTAIN calls, I'd rather have them, then guys like me; I'm 5'11" and weigh 220 lbs.

I'm not totally sold on women in combat. Partially for romantic reasons and, for pragmatic reasons. At the sametime, I am not totally against it either.
  11. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

12. I assume thats some sort of bat joke but I dont get it?

Women have been in combat for a long time, but there is a difference between being attacked and responding, to seeking the enemy and attacking. The same when people say they are frontline, its not quite the same as being in an infantry patrol looking for the enemy to kill.
  13. I was always more impressed by the WRACs who were on patrol with us in Crossmaglen... fully unarmed. In my world I would have handed each of them an MiD with the egg banjo and black mug of soapy tea after each patrol.
  14. Phil306 I cannot be bothered to quote your post but all-in you missunderstood my post (it was a lighthearted, poor attempt at humour) Internet hardmanned your wife, applied a giant brushstroke by saying arrsers put down the 'less cool' ( though what that had to do with anything I don't know) and managed to nail that old American skill on the head by being obnoxious and arrogant, assuming 'we Brits' wouldn't understand the use of the word 'classes' in a sentence.

So calm down, empty your pissbag and enjoy the day.
  15. Has your wife got an 8" 'clit' and an adam's apple?