Women capbadge herrick

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by fairygothmother, Apr 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The other thread has prompted me to finally ask this question. I have recently finished phase 1 training and I am currently capbadged signals but I would like to get out on operations soon as in 2011 or 2012. Signals does not seem the right place to do this right now as people I have spoken to who have gone out on ops have either done it just as a driver or are terminally bored sitting in camp bastion. I work in IT and any trip out to Afghan as tech or op is just going to have me doing a more junior version of my day job in different clothes which I would like to avoid as I joined the TA to get a break from all that.

It would be nice to have a vaguely front line role and having watched the recent girls on the front line thing plus chatting to others on my course, artillery or medic seem the best options and being geeky, medic interests me more. I know nothing about the deployment process but if I did manage to find a local unit with a CMT slot would I likely end up out at FOBs or are CMTs mostly back at Bastion? Even that latter would be preferable to doing more IT! I am near a Royal Anglian unit but they're off to Cyprus soon rather than herrick but I presume any RHQ should have medic slots? There is also 254 medical regiment but I think they are mostly doctors and nurses.
  2. msr

msr LE

So why did you join the signals?

3. Everything changed last year after I joined. We used to be bigger with radio equipment and the possibility of doing medic or REME but now it is just IT and the CO wants a focus on the IT rather than military things.
  4. Well transfer then, sounds like your mind is allready made up. What are you waiting for?
  5. Just be warned, training to be a CMT takes ages. The TA don't like deploying CMTs unless they're a CMT Class 1, for which you first need to qualify as a CMT Class 3 & 2. Each stage takes about a year, as in addition to the 2 week course, you need a year's experience in-role before progressing. So the whole process takes about 3 years.

Well, I'm not sure about the fine detail, but it's roughly correct. My point is, don't expect the RAMC to quickly deploy you.
  6. If you want a guaranteed tour and can spare the time to train have you considered Op SAMSON?

2 week pre training assessment then a 16 week course then 3 years with the Int Corps including 2x 6 month op tours doing HUMINT. See 2009DIN02-016. Open to all arms but you would transfer to Int Corps on completion of the course.
  9. Or transfer to 3 or 5 MI and get your arm ripped off when you ask to go when you're trained and available. If you can pass the technical selection weekend and hack the A3(V) that is. 0207 611 3912, you know it makes sense.
  10. Shhhhhhhh! , or black helicopters will be outside your locstat .

Arn't we not supposed to talk about this kind of thing on Arrse.
  11. Waiting for insider information, which I've got from this thread!

Useful, thank you. Not too dissimilar from Signals as Cavalier notes. I believe class 2 is usually considered the minimum for deployment and even with previous experience you still have the one year requirement before getting to class 2 from class 3.

JD150/One_of_the_strange: I will have a look at the MI side of things, thanks for the pointer. I have met a few people with Int cap badges but they were either still doing phase 1 so didn't know much about it or senior enough that they couldn't (or wouldn't) talk about it.

All through phase 1 we kept hearing "You could be in Afganistan in 9/12 months!" but I guess that only applies if you are infantry.
  12. Go RMP. 253 in London are sending bods on every tour going and will happily welcome you into the fold. 0208 674 3266.
  13. Not a bad idea from MBE there.

The Gunners are swamped with TA lvl 2 light gun volunteers for every tour (as the regs are at full strength for this trade too), consequently regts are turning folk away. It's niche trades/skills that are in demand, and they take a while to become qualified/competent in.

14. Ooo! To sit in a Landy with a radar gun and catch speeders in Bastion/Kandahar.

She said she wanted to get out on the ground.
  15. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Whilst it may seem like a waste of time to you, bad driving and inappropriate speed are a serious force protection issue. I don't know about you but I would not want to have to explain to a grieving family how and why their loved one was taken out by a boy racer...

Never mind, cheap shots at the monkeys are easier than engaging your brain.