Women capbadge herrick

#1
The other thread has prompted me to finally ask this question. I have recently finished phase 1 training and I am currently capbadged signals but I would like to get out on operations soon as in 2011 or 2012. Signals does not seem the right place to do this right now as people I have spoken to who have gone out on ops have either done it just as a driver or are terminally bored sitting in camp bastion. I work in IT and any trip out to Afghan as tech or op is just going to have me doing a more junior version of my day job in different clothes which I would like to avoid as I joined the TA to get a break from all that.

It would be nice to have a vaguely front line role and having watched the recent girls on the front line thing plus chatting to others on my course, artillery or medic seem the best options and being geeky, medic interests me more. I know nothing about the deployment process but if I did manage to find a local unit with a CMT slot would I likely end up out at FOBs or are CMTs mostly back at Bastion? Even that latter would be preferable to doing more IT! I am near a Royal Anglian unit but they're off to Cyprus soon rather than herrick but I presume any RHQ should have medic slots? There is also 254 medical regiment but I think they are mostly doctors and nurses.
 
#2
fairygothmother said:
... is just going to have me doing a more junior version of my day job in different clothes which I would like to avoid as I joined the TA to get a break from all that.
So why did you join the signals?

msr
 
#3
msr said:
fairygothmother said:
... is just going to have me doing a more junior version of my day job in different clothes which I would like to avoid as I joined the TA to get a break from all that.
So why did you join the signals?

msr
Everything changed last year after I joined. We used to be bigger with radio equipment and the possibility of doing medic or REME but now it is just IT and the CO wants a focus on the IT rather than military things.
 
#4
Well transfer then, sounds like your mind is allready made up. What are you waiting for?
 
#5
Just be warned, training to be a CMT takes ages. The TA don't like deploying CMTs unless they're a CMT Class 1, for which you first need to qualify as a CMT Class 3 & 2. Each stage takes about a year, as in addition to the 2 week course, you need a year's experience in-role before progressing. So the whole process takes about 3 years.

Well, I'm not sure about the fine detail, but it's roughly correct. My point is, don't expect the RAMC to quickly deploy you.
 
#6
If you want a guaranteed tour and can spare the time to train have you considered Op SAMSON?

2 week pre training assessment then a 16 week course then 3 years with the Int Corps including 2x 6 month op tours doing HUMINT. See 2009DIN02-016. Open to all arms but you would transfer to Int Corps on completion of the course.
 
#8
Cavalier said:
iamalondoncrab said:
....the whole process takes about 3 years.
sn't that the same as most Corps trades? ICS Op for one?
CMT recruitment in medical units is very limited presently, and almost always restricted to people holding relevant civilian qualifications. Some non-medical units may still be recruiting and training, but I've heard that deployment in role is uncommon.

Probably unlikely nowadays that a TA CMT would be deployed outside Bastion (e.g. MERT) if they weren't a civilian qualified Paramedic. TA hospital squadrons take a reasonable number of CMT's when manning the Role2E. They perform a mix of admin, clinical, QM and GD functions. There are also a few potential posts at Lash and KAF I believe.
 
#9
JD150 said:
If you want a guaranteed tour and can spare the time to train have you considered Op SAMSON?

2 week pre training assessment then a 16 week course then 3 years with the Int Corps including 2x 6 month op tours doing HUMINT. See 2009DIN02-016. Open to all arms but you would transfer to Int Corps on completion of the course.
Or transfer to 3 or 5 MI and get your arm ripped off when you ask to go when you're trained and available. If you can pass the technical selection weekend and hack the A3(V) that is. 0207 611 3912, you know it makes sense.
 
#10
JD150 said:
If you want a guaranteed tour and can spare the time to train have you considered Op SAMSON?
.
Shhhhhhhh! , or black helicopters will be outside your locstat .

Arn't we not supposed to talk about this kind of thing on Arrse.
 
#11
RIGRAT said:
Well transfer then, sounds like your mind is allready made up. What are you waiting for?
Waiting for insider information, which I've got from this thread!

iamalondoncrab said:
Just be warned, training to be a CMT takes ages. The TA don't like deploying CMTs unless they're a CMT Class 1, for which you first need to qualify as a CMT Class 3 & 2. Each stage takes about a year, as in addition to the 2 week course, you need a year's experience in-role before progressing. So the whole process takes about 3 years.
Useful, thank you. Not too dissimilar from Signals as Cavalier notes. I believe class 2 is usually considered the minimum for deployment and even with previous experience you still have the one year requirement before getting to class 2 from class 3.

JD150/One_of_the_strange: I will have a look at the MI side of things, thanks for the pointer. I have met a few people with Int cap badges but they were either still doing phase 1 so didn't know much about it or senior enough that they couldn't (or wouldn't) talk about it.

Neuroleptic said:
CMT recruitment in medical units is very limited presently, and almost always restricted to people holding relevant civilian qualifications. Some non-medical units may still be recruiting and training, but I've heard that deployment in role is uncommon.
All through phase 1 we kept hearing "You could be in Afganistan in 9/12 months!" but I guess that only applies if you are infantry.
 
#12
Go RMP. 253 in London are sending bods on every tour going and will happily welcome you into the fold. 0208 674 3266.
 
#13
Not a bad idea from MBE there.

The Gunners are swamped with TA lvl 2 light gun volunteers for every tour (as the regs are at full strength for this trade too), consequently regts are turning folk away. It's niche trades/skills that are in demand, and they take a while to become qualified/competent in.
 
#14
MightyBigEgo said:
Go RMP. 253 in London are sending bods on every tour going and will happily welcome you into the fold. 0208 674 3266.

Ooo! To sit in a Landy with a radar gun and catch speeders in Bastion/Kandahar.

Joy.

She said she wanted to get out on the ground.
 

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#15
Carlos_Hathcock_II said:
MightyBigEgo said:
Go RMP. 253 in London are sending bods on every tour going and will happily welcome you into the fold. 0208 674 3266.

Ooo! To sit in a Landy with a radar gun and catch speeders in Bastion/Kandahar.

Joy.

She said she wanted to get out on the ground.
Whilst it may seem like a waste of time to you, bad driving and inappropriate speed are a serious force protection issue. I don't know about you but I would not want to have to explain to a grieving family how and why their loved one was taken out by a boy racer...

Never mind, cheap shots at the monkeys are easier than engaging your brain.
 
#16
One_of_the_strange said:
JD150 said:
If you want a guaranteed tour and can spare the time to train have you considered Op SAMSON?

2 week pre training assessment then a 16 week course then 3 years with the Int Corps including 2x 6 month op tours doing HUMINT. See 2009DIN02-016. Open to all arms but you would transfer to Int Corps on completion of the course.
Or transfer to 3 or 5 MI and get your arm ripped off when you ask to go when you're trained and available. If you can pass the technical selection weekend and hack the A3(V) that is. 0207 611 3912, you know it makes sense.
Do you not need to be a lance jack to do Op Samson?
 
#17
ub2008 said:
One_of_the_strange said:
JD150 said:
If you want a guaranteed tour and can spare the time to train have you considered Op SAMSON?

2 week pre training assessment then a 16 week course then 3 years with the Int Corps including 2x 6 month op tours doing HUMINT. See 2009DIN02-016. Open to all arms but you would transfer to Int Corps on completion of the course.
Or transfer to 3 or 5 MI and get your arm ripped off when you ask to go when you're trained and available. If you can pass the technical selection weekend and hack the A3(V) that is. 0207 611 3912, you know it makes sense.
Do you not need to be a lance jack to do Op Samson?
Fuck knows, I'm too jack to find the DIN and in my defence it's not the sort of thing that should be sprayed all over the internet. What I do know is that in the Int Corps you get to put your first tape up on completion of the A3(V) and a CLM weekend - well, I think it's a weekend these days, in my day blah blah 58 webbing blah SMG blah small pack blah 3 Shock Army etc. Not forgetting shirts hairy and lightweights.
 
#18
Carlos_Hathcock_II said:
MightyBigEgo said:
Go RMP. 253 in London are sending bods on every tour going and will happily welcome you into the fold. 0208 674 3266.

Ooo! To sit in a Landy with a radar gun and catch speeders in Bastion/Kandahar.

Joy.

She said she wanted to get out on the ground.
I'm a Regular RMP, recently deployed and we had some TA with us that went out into the field.

Although there is the potential to also do those shite police jobs in Bastion and Kandhar!
 
#19
RMP do far more in Afghan than speed checks. It's quite common for Monkeys to be out on the ground with infantry multiples and they're having an interesting time with WIS.

But-if you like speed guns, they do that too. Nice answer BuggerAll
 
#20
@Carlos Hathcock II

Just what is your recent op experience? How do you think the RMP who were killed on Herricks 10/11 died? handing out tickets in KAF?? Out of a full RMP company on Herrick 10 around ten did those bone but neccesary tasks your on about. I did too before going out to Nad e Ali and Sangin, and thats going on most patrols and in the case of Nad e Ali sometimes to make up the numbers in rifle platoons on coy ops etc. And females did that too by the way. If you don't know what you are talking about best to keep quiet
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads