• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Women allowed to serve on Submarines from 2013

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Breaking news on BBC. No link yet.

That'll make some matelots happy. I was always under the impression that there were sound scientific radiological reasons why women couldn't serve on pigboats.

.... I was always under the impression that there were sound scientific radiological reasons why women couldn't serve on pigboats.
People are subject to more radiation on an aircraft than they would be on a nuclear submarine. The real reason was the effect of carbon dioxide on unborn children.
In a statement the Ministry of Defence said: "Women had previously been excluded from submariner roles due to concerns about higher levels of carbon dioxide in submarine atmosphere carrying risks to female health. But recent research by the Institute of Naval Medicine showed that these risks were unfounded and that there were no medical reasons for excluding women from service in submarines."

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
I suspect that the real reason has nothing to do with CO2, or offering women equal opportunities and all to do with too few volunteers for submarine service. It's the primary reason they sent women to sea in the first place.

I doubt it..... do they force sailors to take bumnancy tests before sailing ?
Dunno what the effects of a stretched hoop are on combat effectivness but if a bird was Keith Cheggers when setting off on a 6 month cruise then she would have to be taken off ship at some point which means sub leaves patrol area to either get her airlifted or to a dock. Either way the lads get fucked about big time

Dunno what the effects of a stretched hoop are on combat effectivness but if a bird was Keith Cheggers when setting off on a 6 month cruise then she would have to be taken off ship at some point which means sub leaves patrol area to either get her airlifted or to a dock. Either way the lads get fucked about big time
I see ! also.... if she went on just pregnant then months later she might not be able to get back out the hatch she came in through.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
There has been a discussion elsewhere about depletion of bone calcium in submarine service due to the extreme purity of the drinking water (presumably we all excrete calcium but make it up from chalk in the water). This would seem to be unhelpful to a woman with a developing foetus, which she may not even know about until she misses a beat halfway through a patrol, but no doubt the great and good have thought through that one.

As to breaking off a deterrent patrol for compassionate reasons, dream on I think.

There has been a discussion elsewhere about depletion of bone calcium in submarine service due to the extreme purity of the drinking water (presumably we all excrete calcium but make it up from chalk in the water). This would seem to be unhelpful to a woman with a developing foetus, which she may not even know about until she misses a beat halfway through a patrol, but no doubt the great and good have thought through that one.

As to breaking off a deterrent patrol for compassionate reasons, dream on I think.
Anything happens to baby due to nasty sexist Captain Bligh not allowing the opressed young mother to be off ship and MOD gets mother of all law suits.

Latest Threads