Woman wins £8,000 police damages

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DutyCrow, Feb 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A woman has won £8,000 damages from Strathclyde police force after one of its officers knocked her to the ground while running after a suspect.

Glasgow Sheriff Court heard Mary Reilly, 74, was shopping in Glasgow's east end almost five years ago when Sgt Scott McCarren chased a car thief.

The officer knocked Mrs Reilly over and she was left with a number of injuries.

A sheriff ruled Sgt McCarren, of Strathclyde Police, had breached the duty of care expected of him.

Mrs Reilly and her husband Patrick, 75, were shopping in Westmuir Street, Parkhead, on 9 June, 2002.

The pavement was crowded with people waiting on an orange walk.

'Too fast'

Scott McCarren, 29, then a constable, chased a suspect and bumped into Mrs Reilly, who is 4ft 9ins, and knocked here to the ground.

He did not realise what had happened and continued to chase the suspect as others helped the woman.

Mrs Reilly had two fractures - which caused chronic ulcers and repeated nosebleeds - and an injury to her forehead.

The fall also brought on problems with her right hand, arm and shoulder exacerbated by her arthritis.

The court was told she continues to suffer daily nosebleeds, joint pain and a loss of confidence of being outdoors.

Sgt McCarren said that he could not deny "brushing" past her that day but that it was "unlikely" he had bumped into her.

In a written judgement, Sheriff Ian Miller said it was not surprising the 6ft 3ins officer had no direct recollection of coming into contact with an elderly lady in a crowded street.

He said Sgt McCarren's "fault and negligence" was to blame for the accident.

"In the exercise of his duty as a police constable, he owed a duty of care to the woman," he said.

"That duty was to take reasonable care for the safety of pedestrians including the pursuer and to avoid exposing her to the risk of injury.

"In the circumstances that existed on that pavement, he ran too fast to avoid striking the pursuer and failed to keep a proper lookout for her."

2. Fair one, its better than some of the outrageous claims for compensation that are put in, many of them by police officers.

(Wonder if Strathclyde have now done a Risk Assessment for chasing criminals)

3. Quite right

4. Although stating that the Sergeant was 'at fault' and 'negligent' is a bit steep!

Accidents happen and she should be compensated. End Ex.

5. Agreed totally - he wasn't negligent - he was chasing a criminal. Its a shame it happened and the old dear has quite rightly been compensated.

6. Surely she'll have less confidence if the police can't take the scum off the streets?

7. Never seen how plod can turn into a complete clown as soon as the blue lights go on? It's the same when the red mist descends or are we suggesting that there are 'no innocent bystanders'?

Hot Fuzz, it's a documentary don't you know?

8. So when they ring up saying they have intruders guess it might take a little while to get there. Can't be too careful.

The blame culture in the UK never ceases to amaze me.

Sure compensate her for her injuries, but leave it at that.

9. I love these threads as we are basing the conversation on about twenty words of information. I don't know the full circumstances but it just could be that the officer in question was acting with total disregard for the safety of others rather than being a wee bit careless.

I'm with you on the whole blame culture crap but it seems that half the reason that the police take so long in assisting members of the public is that they are taking so much time ensuring their own safety and convenience.

10. It seems the motto should be walk don't run.

11. What you mean, by running after a criminal? Yeah maybe you're right, by chasing after said scrote and flailing his arms about and using members of the public as human pinballs? :pissedoff:

also, the police spend most of their time ensuring the safety of the public as well as themselves. You'd be suprised on how much time is spent on officer safety training dealing with the safety of the suspects they are arresting.

It's good to see you've got a perfectly rounded opinion of the police, you'd probably drip if the thread was "Strathclyde police ban chasing suspects on foot" (though i dare say that the litigation scared kACPO will be considering this now)

As for the blame culture, yeah i agree it's out of control. It seems that people seem to have lost all grasp of the realities of life in that "accidents do happen"

12. Seagull, in reality the guy was probably doing his best to do his job to aprehend a criminal. The point I was making was that the judge had a reason for making his strong remarks, reasons which are not in the original article.

Yes I have a well rounded opinion of the police having had exposure to them for many years.

The problem his that the police management and PC culture has meant that a large swathe of the service has completly lost touch with reality and the expectations of the public. At the other end of the scale there are officers working their socks off on our behalf. I reserve my criticism to the former.

13. maybe the car thief should go halvers with strathclyde police?

14. Fair enough fella, just didn't read it that way.

You're spot on with your bolded comments too. the bosses (by that i mean above inspector rank, but also include a few of them) are completely mad and out of touch with reality. They haven't a clue what the public really want but pander to whatever the thought of the month is from the Home office.

I can see why the public are getting anti as all they ever read about is the latest Home Office induced, ACPO backed load of sh!te (i give you the PCSO as an example). the thing is it's going to get worse when the treasuary cuts the funding for the police (which it will, we've been warned by our Chief). Expect to see Bliar's "Record police numbers" slowly creep down, including officers on the streets as forces try to maintain the Home Orofices targets by creating squads that deal with initiative of the month (depending on what's in the press)but never disband after.

15. Fair play, she was injured and was compensated, rightly so.

But to have such a strong go at the police is out of order. People would get upset if they didn't try and chase and apprehend, its their job after all!

The copper shouldn't suffer for this at all, and the police should support him, IE pay the fine but back him up. Unfortunatly, in this day and age, i bet there is some scapegoating!!!

OS