woman wanting to join up - advise needed on fitness

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by wpower1986, May 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi,
    im a woman wanting to join the RMP but a little worried about my 1.5mile run. my partner who i consider to be very fit and cycles to work every day (10miles half an hr) did the run for me to set a time and it took him 12 mins. i have been told as a woman i have to be able to do it in 13mins. my cardio fitness isnt great. i have fantastic upper body fitness sit ups and push up are not a problem.

does anyone have any advise on the best way to get my run to 13mins. i tried it the other day for the first time and it took me half an hour! rubbish i know! :eek:

i go to hand my paperwork in on thursday and i have been told it will only be a few weeks for my BARB test. then a few more for my fitness.

i really want to do this and dont want to waste time messing around because my run isnt quick enough.

any ideas would be great.

cheers

2. half an hour. do you walk?

3. i told you i was rubbish! my gym want me to do a rum 45sec walk 45sec on the tread mill to build my fitness but i have been told not to use it as road running is so different.

i know i cant get it down but just after the best way of doing it

4. doesn't take einstein to figure out thats a 3 mile an hour pace, a brisk walk would get you to that speed.

I think you have some work to do, good for you that your partner excercises

(mind you, I'm well past it with my own fitness, people in glass houses...)

5. im off to try again! i WILL do it!

6. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Without being patronising - practice makes perfect.

Suggest daily runs on the road (and yes it will hurt initially) gradually coming up to pace. Don't just do the distance in the time allowed, do longer and slower runs and build it up. The lungs will quickly come up to form and when you need to push on, you will have the reserve you need.

Now in a more leerish mode

Oh yeah. Photos, dear, photos :D

7. Women in the Army?

Whatever next.

Tsk tsk.

8. Try it fellas, I'll kill ya...........

9. 17.5 mins. not bad i think on my 1st time and i stopped and walked a bit about 2 thirds in.

god im fcuked!

10. wpower check pm

11. also what kind of push ups do women have to do?

12. The ones where you use your arms? At selection you're expected to do a minimum of 21 in two minutes, keeping your elbows at your sides, your hands directly under your shoulders. You have to go right down to the ground and back up again for it to count.

13. 12 minutes for a man is still pretty rubbish.

Go out running, start off doing 5k every other day, then gradually increase it. Set out courses and try and beat the previous time. You will see a profound transformation in your cardovascular fitness.

14. I have the opposite problem- my running is fine, but I can only do 2 mens push ups and 12 womans push ups until I need a break!! My upper body strength sucks!! I am confused to what type of push ups women are expected to do?

15. Exactly the same as the men, just less of them.