Woman USMC officer debunks women in infantry role

Discussion in 'US' started by jumpinjarhead, Sep 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I think this paragraph sums it up very well

"As one female Marine told msnbc.com, "No one questions why there aren't any females in the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, etc. Olympic athletes are the elite of the elite. No one questions why the women compete against women and men against men. Those are great sports and achievements. But lives and missions aren't on the line. In our world, if you move slower one day, you don't get bumped off the medal stand, you could die or get someone else killed.""

As you say, JJH "At last a small ray of sanity"

2. Won't be enough.

The ringtone on my cellphone is "The World Turned Upside Down" for a reason.

3. My bold.

Yep, gotta agree with ya, although the article did have a lot of clarity of thought by Capt. Katie Petronio.

4. Clarity of thought is not in vogue in this world any longer, and won't be until the whole mess collapses in a catastrophic fit of wishful thinking, and the survivors have to unfcuk it all with cold hard reality-based solutions.

5. The more I survey our current plight and the prevailing grotesque ignorance of so many Americans about our headlong rush to the looming precipice, the more I am inclined to agree with you.

BTW, stock up on .22lr ammo as it will be valuable for trading purposes one day.

6. Being a rifleman can be bloody tough. I would wonder what sort of woman would actually want to be in Gods trade?

7. Oohhh!!! That will upset the modern trendies, they won't be wanting anything so vulgar as reality to mess with their PC train set!

8. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

I doubt it. As you say, they're generally not inhibited by common sense or an informed view, they get the kudos for being 'progressive' within their vacuous social circle and they know they won't be the ones who have to pick up the pieces, which puts the seal on their self righteous smugness as they pontificate and haver.

• Like Like x 1
  9. In a huge shitstorm of stupidity.

One voice of reason will not derail the juggernaut of PC idiocy.

10. FORMER_FYRDMAN

Actually I'm quite optimistic. Despite all the wittering by the chatterati, after over ten years' of COIN Ops, no-one's actually been dense or deluded enough to actually apply this madness to any of the proper armies. I also expect that the good Captain is not alone in her view and that there is now enough operational experience across the board to make resistance quite formidable in the event of a GI Jane fantasist holding forth. I suspect too that the Yanks and the Brits are now rather good at making a huge show of examining the problem whilst teeing it up for a hefty punt into the long grass - we've certainly had enough practice.

11. Let's cut to the important issue.

Is Capt. Katie Petronio fit?

(the pic is of her in rig, in some shit hole).

12. 120712-katiepetronio-8a_380;380;7;70;0.jpg

Didn't you clock this one mate?

13. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

We're always going to have this debate and I wonder if, post-Herrick, when recruiting gets harder as I suspect it will, will we be considering it again more fully.

For my money I support the view that if they want to, and they meet the exact same standards then I have no major issue why they shouldn't, but I can see perfectly valid reasons why its not a good idea.

I did like one of the comments following her gazette article that espoused the view that war is really about who has the biggest dick and hence thats why women shouldn't be on the front line, class comment!

14. FORMER_FYRDMAN

There's more to creating an effective teeth capability than simply 'meeting standards'.