Woman Regains Use of Legs After 17 Years

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Myss, Sep 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if this has been posted before, or this is the wrong forum to post this in. I thought this was such a remarkable story, perhaps there has been similar in the past. Having been diagnosed with illnesses in the last year and recovering, I can now appreciate how some of us take things like breathing, walking, eating, etc for granted and being 'given' (so to speak) another chance to use limbs, organs, etc without the use of machines, injections or other equipment.
    I saw her on TV this morning and she says she intends to go dancing and to Venice as 'wheelchairs and gondolas don't really mix'. :) I can imagine how she feels, good luck to her, I hope this is a permanent recovery.

2. Amazing story!!! Therapists have been trying to figure out who to manipulate scar tissue in a positive way for years. Trouble is that everyone and everyone's scars are different. I hope this helps further research into it though!

Any of you deep pocketed arrsers out there who would be interested in dropping a couple of thousand at charity events for a Spinal & Head Injury charity please PM me.
  3. Things like this totally astonish me and, at the same time, give me hope for a resolvement of similar cases.

I remember reading yonks ago about a geezer who dived into shallow water without checking and was subsequentialy paralysed from the upper chest down. About fifteen years later(!), he began to experience some feeling in one arm, then the other arm and finally in his legs. He eventually went on to compete in cycle races and cross-country events.

I've searched and searched on t'internet for this particular case, but so far I've come up dry. This geezer's first name was Tom (and he was a Septic), so if anybody perchance also remembers this, and is much more adept on t'internet than me, and knows where it can be found, please knock up a post.

All in all, it just goes to show that the medical profession needs to sharpen up research into such cases to further the cause.

4. In all fairness to the medical bods I think they are desperate to be able to research further but as with most things today it all depends on money, most coming via the government and the grants they will or wont give out - time is money and all that jazz!