Woman arrested in vote-Rigging fraud

Apologies if this is one for the Int Cell. And no, its not Prezza's girlfriend.

A 50-year-old woman has been arrested on vote-rigging charges in the coming May 4 local elections.

West Midlands Police said a quantity of postal voting forms had been recovered during a search of an address in Bordesley Green, Birmingham.

A force spokesman said: "Police tasked with monitoring potential fraud in the forthcoming local elections on 4th May have arrested a woman on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud the local election process in Birmingham."

The spokesman said officers detained the woman and recovered the voting papers at an address in Ronald Street, Bordesley Green.

A further search took place at an address in nearby Hob Moor Road, where other material was recovered.

Detective Inspector Simon Wallis, from the West Midlands Police Economic Crime Unit, said: "There are other persons yet to be spoken to in connection with this matter.

"We are working closely with Birmingham City Council to seek to make the election process a fair, fraud-free process.

"We are vigilant to signs of fraud and intent upon taking positive action where appropriate." Electoral officials in Birmingham are keen to avoid a repeat of allegations of postal vote fraud which surrounded the local elections in June 2004.

A subsequent Election Court hearing, headed by Election Commissioner Richard Mawrey QC, found that the ballot-rigging perpetrated in two Birmingham wards "would have disgraced a banana republic".

Mr Mawrey - who called for changes in the postal voting system to prevent future abuses - ruled that thousands of votes had been forged, stolen or otherwise tampered with.

Commenting on news of the 50-year-old woman's arrest, Birmingham Returning Officer Steven Hughes said: "We have been and continue to work closely with the police to prevent and tackle electoral fraud."

This year Birmingham City Council has issued 58,962 postal voting forms, a decrease of more than 10,000 on the 2004 figure.

Story link

Anyone know who's the leading party with this council seat??

spike7451 said:
Er...Should'nt the title be 'Woman arrested in vote-rigging fraud'?? :p You'll get all the nice ladies here all worked up! :p
Amended. You know, I actually didn't realise. Oh well, same difference :D

From Birmingham City Council's website:

Bordesley Green has a relatively young population with 48.9% aged under 24, but the elderly population is growing. Based on the 2001 population census, the ethnic group with the highest representation in the Ward are of Asian / Asian British origin (62.6%), compared with (28.6%) White, (4.9%) Black / Black British and the Mixed / Chinese and other ethnic groups represent (3.9%) of the total population for Bordesley Green Ward. The most common spoken language is English, but the community languages are also strong Punhabi, Urdu, Mirpuri, Bengali, Pushto and Arabic.
No surprises there.

There are two Lib Dem councillors, and one Labour. Labour used to have the majority, but were 'trounced' (according to the Grauiniad) in the last elections. So, my wager will be on the alleged offender being someone who supports Shafique Shah and his fellow Labour candidates. So, no surprise there either.

Yet another arrest in an ongoing investigation into vote rigging in Birmingham.

No mention of the suspects Political Affiliation or ethnicity :?

Investigations by two police forces are under way into alleged vote-rigging following an arrest ahead of next month's local elections.

A 50-year-old woman was detained yesterday following a raid in Birmingham in which a large quantity of postal voting forms were recovered. She was released on bail this morning.

In London, Scotland Yard said officers were looking at suspicious activities in seven London boroughs.

Electoral officials nationwide want to avoid a repeat of allegations of postal vote fraud which surrounded local elections in Birmingham in 2004.

A subsequent inquiry found that ballot-rigging in two of the city's wards "would have disgraced a banana republic".
Sky news.com

Look Vote rigging, as we all know is not just localised to one ethnic community as some seem to be inferring. It can happen any where and be perpetrated by any member of any community or any party - remember Westminster or are memories that short? :roll:

castlereagh said:
Look Vote rigging, as we all know is not just localised to one ethnic community as some seem to be inferring. It can happen any where and be perpetrated by any member of any community or any party - remember Westminster or are memories that short? :roll:
The facts remain that last year the individuals brought before the Election Commissioner to answer charges of vote-rigging in Birmingham were all members of the same ethnic community (Asian), and were all candidates for the same party (Labour). So, whilst it no doubt can happen anywhere, and involve any member of any community and any party, the current story involves the arrest of an Asian woman in Birmingham, in an area where Labour were drubbed last year and so have most to lose. Mere coincidence?

I suppose that by the same token any politician can be guilty of dishonesty and sleaze; it just happens that all those in the news at the moment happen to be caucasian, represent Labour and are in Westminster.

castlereagh said:
Obviously any mention of anything that a minority have done wrong is racist in your view :roll:

ViroBono said:
castlereagh said:
The facts remain that last year the individuals brought before the Election Commissioner to answer charges of vote-rigging in Birmingham were all members of the same ethnic community (Asian), and were all candidates for the same party (Labour). So, whilst it no doubt can happen anywhere, and involve any member of any community and any party, the current story involves the arrest of an Asian woman in Birmingham, in an area where Labour were drubbed last year and so have most to lose. Mere coincidence?

I suppose that by the same token any politician can be guilty of dishonesty and sleaze; it just happens that all those in the news at the moment happen to be caucasian, represent Labour and are in Westminster.
Anyone with any experience of political elections can tell you stories of fraud but I stand by my original point. Also if there is so much of a media bias against caucasians then why was this story reported at all? One could make the same allegation in the reporting of the Fiona Jones case.

PointSevenSixTwo
Obviously any mention of anything that a minority have done wrong is racist in your view
I think you need to re-read my post. :roll:

PointSevenSixTwo said:
castlereagh said:
Obviously any mention of anything that a minority have done wrong is racist in your view :roll:

So your latest reference to a white tory indulging in gerrymandering is 1987, and the most recent for an asian labourite involved in vote rigging is today. Absolutely Castlereagh, they're all at it....

I imagine you'll be off to google shortly to disprove this. :D Enjoy...

It can happen anywhere, but it IS happening in Birmingham.

Themanwho said:
PointSevenSixTwo said:
castlereagh said:

So your latest reference to a white tory indulging in gerrymandering is 1987, and the most recent for an asian labourite involved in vote rigging is today. Absolutely Castlereagh, they're all at it....

I imagine you'll be off to google shortly to disprove this. :D Enjoy...

Look above its 1999, actually and it was Labour :x

*cough* though the bint did have conviction over turned 2001

Edited to add type in the name Mohammed Gultasab Khan and see which party you come up with!

castlereagh said:
Themanwho said:
PointSevenSixTwo said:
castlereagh said:
Look Vote rigging, as we all know is not just localised to one ethnic community as some seem to be inferring. It can happen any where and be perpetrated by any member of any community or any party - remember Westminster or are memories that short? roll
Obviously any mention of anything that a minority have done wrong is racist in your view roll

I imagine you'll be off to google shortly to disprove this. D Enjoy...

Look above its 1999, actually x

Edited to add type in the name Mohammed Gultasab Khan and see which party you come up with!
The Westminster offence was committed in '87 IIRC, though. Even the conviction is seven years ago; as has already been said, it IS happening in Birmingham now.

Edited to add: And check out the ethnicity of Mr Khan, perhaps?

Themanwho said:
castlereagh said:
Themanwho said:
PointSevenSixTwo said:
castlereagh said:
Look Vote rigging, as we all know is not just localised to one ethnic community as some seem to be inferring. It can happen any where and be perpetrated by any member of any community or any party - remember Westminster or are memories that short? roll
Obviously any mention of anything that a minority have done wrong is racist in your view roll

I imagine you'll be off to google shortly to disprove this. D Enjoy...

Look above its 1999, actually x

The offence was committed in '87 IIRC, though. Even the conviction is seven years ago; as has already been said, it IS happening in Birmingham now.
Erm TMW, was talking about Fiona Jones, The ex-labour MP. Apologies for not making it clearer but when I said look above I meant my last post.

Understand your point, Castlereagh, but my points are valid i think.

Themanwho said:
Understand your point, Castlereagh, but my points are valid i think.
That's fine but it seems that everyone is missing mine :x

Let me state again, electoral fraud happens every where - what I object to is racial insinuations about those most likely to commit it (a factor which given how hard it is to prove is likely to remain unverified)
It happens at an individual level and at an organised level, every party, is guilty of it.
PS - I couldn't remember the most recent Tory example but Lexis Nexis :twisted: says it was Anthony Bays (a Tory supporter and ex-councilor) who tampered with proxy votes.

Also from the *Guardian, April 4 2005 - the electoral reform society when giving their comments on the Aston fiasco (Labour, Asian councillors involved) said:

A spokesperson for the Electoral Reform Society said: "We do not believe that electoral fraud is confined to Birmingham, to the Labour party or, most importantly, to particular communities. This is a problem that we believe may be widespread in this country

*It's lexis-nexis so no web link!

Themanwho said:
Edited to add: And check out the ethnicity of Mr Khan, perhaps?
When I added Khan's name - you should have found out that the person in question is not an Asian Labourite but an Asian Liberal councillor Thought the ethnicity from his name was quite clear :?

PointSevenSixTwo said:
castlereagh said:
OH FFS, haven't we heard this tune already?

castlereagh said:
Let me state again, electoral fraud happens every where - what I object to is racial insinuations about those most likely to commit it (a factor which given how hard it is to prove is likely to remain unverified)
It happens at an individual level and at an organised level, every party, is guilty of it.
Exactly. What if the woman arrested is asian? What if it was a white woman with an asian husband? What difference would this make to the local election? What about if she's bi-racial? Tell you what - just imagine her father is half asian, half white and her mum half black, half chinese scottish...... could someone tell me exactly what difference would this make? :roll:

I understand and accept Castlereagh's well-made point. Far from making any type of racist remark, I was noting that last year's Birmingham vote-rigging was carried out by Asian Labour councillors - that is a matter of fact - and that the latest story also involves an Asian, who may or may not be a Labour supporter. I agree that those concerned could just as easily have been white, black, Chinese, Japanese or anything else - it's just that in the stories I referred to, the facts are that they weren't.

In any case, I do not doubt that despite John 'Mr Integrity' Prescott's department having apparently taken steps to prevent fraud, that this will not be the last story of vote-rigging.

As a serious point, I do wonder whether some people from other countries where the electoral standards are different to ours may consider practices that we would consider unacceptable to be quite in order. One only has to look at what goes on in parts of the former USSR and Eastern Europe, for example.

Oh dear, I see what was originally a post about vote rigging has turned into a race row. Why is this country so obsesed in not offending "ethnic " minorites. Anyway back to the point. The way to stop this type of thing is to scrap the post vote & get your arrse down the polling station or vote by proxy. If you are unable to get to a polling station you should be given lifts by gurning slimy party members in shiny cars. Just like the old days. National ID cards & eagle eyed polling staff will help to aleviate some of the multiple ID problems some areas have.

Regards LT.