Wolffe identifies "free ride" for McCain over Hagee

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by redgrain, May 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As an observer of US politics, I find it interesting that Barack Obama has been criticised for his association with the Rev. Wright, but I've heard next to nothing about McCain's association with the hate monger, John Hagee - a man equally as odious, albeit on the other side of the fence.

Wolffe identifies "free ride" for McCain over Hagee

Summary: On MSNBC, during a discussion of the focus on Sen. Barack Obama's relationship with Rev. Jeremiah Wright compared with that on Sen. John McCain's relationship with Pastor John Hagee, Newsweek's Richard Wolffe stated, "In some ways, John McCain is getting a free ride." Hagee has made controversial statements about Hurricane Katrina, women, homosexuality, the Catholic Church, and Islam.

On the April 30 edition of MSNBC's Race to the White House, during a discussion of the focus on Sen. Barack Obama's relationship with Rev. Jeremiah Wright compared with that on Sen. John McCain's relationship with Pastor John Hagee, Newsweek White House correspondent Richard Wolffe stated, "In some ways, John McCain is getting a free ride." Hagee, who has made controversial statements about Hurricane Katrina, women, homosexuality, the Catholic Church, and Islam, endorsed McCain at a February 27 rally with the candidate. On the April 20 edition of ABC's This Week, McCain stated that it was "probably" a mistake to solicit and accept Hagee's endorsement, but said, "I admire and respect Dr. Hagee's leadership of the -- of his church." And when asked if he no longer wanted Hagee's endorsement, McCain said, "I'm glad to have his endorsement."

During the Race to the White House segment, host David Gregory read an email from a viewer who wrote: "Now that Barack Obama has categorically separated himself from Reverend Wright, when can we expect John McCain to reject and denounce Pastor Hagee? If some people can't see that there is a blatant double standard going on here, I'm afraid that America will never be able to bridge the racial divide that still haunts our country." After reading the email, Gregory said to Wolffe, "[T]hat's Pastor Hagee, who has endorsed John McCain and has been very critical of the Catholic Church and has been called out on that." Wolffe replied, "And look, we've all heard evangelical ministers, white ministers, condemn America and damn America for abortions. And so, yeah, I don't think there's an equal balance of criticism and focus here. In some ways, John McCain is getting a free ride."

Media Matters for America has documented (here, here, here, here, and here) numerous examples of the disparity between the media's extensive coverage of controversial comments made by Wright and other supporters of Obama and their coverage of controversial comments made by Hagee and other supporters of McCain. Most recently, Media Matters documented that since Hagee endorsed McCain, The New York Times and The Washington Post combined have published more than 12 times as many articles mentioning Wright and Obama as they have mentioning Hagee and McCain.

2. non-sense and a stupid comparison....don't get me wrong I can't stand McCain, but Hagee was not McCain's preacher for 20 plus years; unlike Rev Wright's relationship with Barack. Hagee merely endorsed McCain. No free pass just that dog don't hunt.

BTW old news ;-)
  3. I don't think this issue is over, nor should it be. True, Hagee is not McCain's 'minister', but the old b@stard knowingly and 'proudly' accepted Hagee's support and endorsement for political gain.

The good reverend Hagee is:
  4. Anti-semites are voters too ;)

I get the idea, but it really doesn't impact my view of McCain (the same way Wright didn't impact my view of Obama). I happen to like them both

and would choose either over Hillary
  5. Why, what's to like?

Hillary's "my" senator so I already know I could survive.
  6. Today, McCain finally renounced the good nutter Hagee's endorsement:

"McCain told CNN's Brian Todd that he rejected the endorsement after Todd brought to his attention Hagee's comments that Adolf Hitler had been fulfilling God's will by hastening the desire of Jews to return to Israel in accordance with biblical prophecy."

Duh - about time. This 'reverend' is as much an eejit as Wright.
  7. He may be an assclown, but there are many differences...starting with the fact that McCain never attended his church, much less then the last 20 years.

Get over yourself Obama is a race baiting nigger, don't get me wrong he's got my vote...but he is what he is.
  8. First, why use such disrespectful language, mate? It is like calling someone a hun or a taig - serves no purpose but to degrade the other person.

Second, to me the pandering McCain has done to win the evangelical nutters is worse than anything Obama has done. And his judgement in not checking out Hagee first is mind boggling and does not bode well for a man who wishes to be POTUS. It bothers me why he waited til now to reject the endorsement - I guess Catholic baiting is considered all right in the US.
  9. redgrain you are a window licking mong...Obama defended his pastor called him a "father figure", equated him to a family member equal to his "white grandmother" after his statements were in the public arena.
    Obama appointed the man to a position in his campaign as "spiritual advisor" and sat in his church listening to his hate filled sermons for 20 years now, knowing damn well his speech/sermons were "controversial"; substantiated by the fact that Obama asked him not to appear publically when he announced his candidacy.

While McLame accepted the endorsement of a pastor, in whose church he is not a member, and who made statements that McLame did not excuse, try to excuse or explain away and has now renounced his endorsement in light of the pastors past statements.

You are a Fuckwit from Fucksville living just off Mong Ave., aren't you?
  10. No, actually, I am not any of the above, please stick to rational debate. I think that McCain pandering to the evangelicals is worse than Obama and his Rev. Wright debacle. As Obama said, who among us has not disagreed with our priest/pastor/rabbi at some point? I certainly have. But to accept an endorsement from the likes of Hagee - and not be informed of his views - just to win over zealots, is beyond the pale.
  11. Praetorian, there is a good reason they have an "over the water" flavour to them because 1) I enjoy US politics, as it effects us all, and 2) I have spent much time in US - recently on a trip to FL and now Chicago 3) I was born Catholic, and though have many issues with my Church, notice that it seems the one thing left in US that can be insulted without much outrage from the media.
  12. McCain didn't seek out Hagee, Hagee sought to endorse McLame...Obama sat in the pews of the racist Rev Wright for 20 years ... hell even Oprah left that church after hearing "jerry" rail against whitey. So who's trying to play the religion card...ain't been McLame, been a few republicans before him...OH Huckster (Southern Baptist), Mitt (Mormon), Rudy (Catholic)...they all proclaimed their religious affliation burt ain't heard shit what McLame's religion is...Obama is running from his...running like Sen Byrd dressed in white with a hood on is chasing him.

Please fuck off.......
  13. redgrain,

You mention the possibility of Rev. Wright's statements being taken out of context. I wonder how it would be possible to take "God D*** America," the Sunday after 9/11 out of context?

And Obama didn't reject the statements strongly until the obvious political fallout became apparent, a relative long time after the issue came to light. At first he tried to excuse them away, in the process throwing his white grandmother under the bus.

He's a duplicitous, conniving liar, the same as all of them. They only difference is his resume is significantly shorter.
  14. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Those of you who are continuing to crayon all over this and another long-running thread on the US elections - stop it or I will continue to dump your posts in the hole whether they have good bits in among the drivel or not.

I don't care who Redgrain is or is not - he's entitled to his opinion in this thread. If you don't like those opinions then feel free to argue against them but without descending to puerile name-calling.

If you want to have an exchange of worthless one-liners go and do it somehwre else.

And drop the unnecessary racially derogatory terms please - it adds nothing to the thread and makes you look like a bunch of bigotted rednecks.
  15. Isn't it more likely down to the fact that McCain is going to be the Republican nomination. Whereas Obama and Hillary are competeing for the Democrat and thus almost all media atention is on Obama/Clinton?