WO2's as Troop Commanders!

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Woart, Jun 5, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It was mentioned to the DGAMS at the Warrant Officers convention for his views on WO2's in Troop Commander posts.

He seemed to like the ideal, so never dismissed or agreed to the ideal.

What is this forums views on this subject?

God or bad ideal?

2. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Easy enough job for a WO2, but does he have enough time for the trivia a subby should be doing to learn their job.
  3. Tried before in the 1930s and 1940s - WO3 (Platoon Sergeant Major) - not successful, soon abandoned.
  4. Since when has that ever stopped the AMS? We are forever going around in circles here trying to address the problems within the AMS.
  5. I still think its a good ideal.

They will probaly do a better job that a lot of subbies and will manage the troops better.

Good to see this thread turn up again.
  6. Showing my ignorance once more but what does a Troop Commander in the RAMC do?
  7. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Not alot! Apart from getting extras from the CO!
  8. We have often resorted to non-commisoned paltoon commanders in the infantry. On an op tour five years ago, two of the platoon commanders in my company were CSgts. The two platoons they commanded were by far the most effctive in the Bn.
  9. Ditto the above one WO2 Troop Ldr Recce Troop in Bosnia. Top Man hugh troop morale and not a drama in sight.
  10. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I've got to agree, give me a 22 year soldier over a 18 months graduate every time!
  11. not another attempt at getting the bloody PQWO thread going on here as well is it?? which would also be
    all for the troop commander bit, good for someone with a bit of experience to do the job (rules out cpl ibilola then :wink: ) and would be excellent for those CMTs who are looking to move on to RSM posts afterwards.
  12. All of these threads appear to have been initiated by members with minimal posts to their names. I think 'Ibby the Corporal' has several identities.

Still, he can have as many as he likes.........it's just that he'll not be able to include 'WO2' amongst his collection.

Now then, exceptionally well qualified Corporal.........make sure those ablutions are clean and get by yer bed. There's an exceptionally unqualified WO2 somewhere in your unit, who wants to conduct a room inspection.

13. Speaking as one who was a troopy not all that long ago, I can testify that our role lacks clarity and this will not be improved by placing Warrant Officers in these positions. The Medical Regiment concept still needs work on the fine details.

For the record, as a troopy I spent most days in my office doing staff work for my OC, preparing Range Day packages for the regiment and trying to work out what my troop did with their days.

Eventually I discovered that it involved tents, brooms and occasional first parades of BFAs except when we were doing regimental beat-up training for the next deployment. I was so bored I almost sacked it there and then.

Any WO wanting that job is f'ing welcome to it...

14. This is not a job for a WO! This is a job for a subby to cut his/her teath on, plus does your standard WO know what a combat estimate is?

15. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator