WO2 Gunter, Royal Marine - RIP

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by fozzy, Sep 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure if this is the right place, but felt I had to post this. Mods, please move or delete as you feel fit.

Learnt tonight that my Uncle Archie has died after a short illness. He was 86. He joined the Marines in 1937. He fought in Norway during the Narvik Raid, served on RODNEY during the battle with BISMARK and later did the Malta run as well as a few Russian Convoys. He became a Commando and post war served in Cyprus. He eventually retired in the 1960's after reaching WO2. He had a long and happy second career working for Shell (after him and a few of his wartime pals toured around Spain on Motor bikes!)

He had an amazing scrapbook of photos of him in various "scrapes" as he called them. In time, I hope to scan them and publish them on-line.

Tough as old boots, but a real gent. He is one of that great generation that are slowly fading away. He was always aware that many of his pals never had the luck he did and never made it as far.

I'm very sad to hear of his death, but I'm amazingly proud to have had him as an Uncle. I hope I can be half the man he was.

A glass will be raised to him tonight.

2. Fozzy, get the pictures up in the family military pictures thread.

Clearly a man with big nads to have taken part in the NArvik raids.

Worthy of a raised glass, go easy mate.

3. RIP fella

4. A nice tribute to an incredible man.

RIP.

5. Glass raised from the Flasheart mansion.

6. RIP Royal....

Fozzy, sorry for your loss. Get those phots online as soon as you can and would you consider approaching the Royal Marines Museum in Pompey and loaning the phots to them for a while? I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

7. Fozzy,
    My condolances to you and your family.

My Grandad was a marine in WWII and passed before I was old enough to appriciate what he did. He didn't have many photos or talk about what he did even to my Dad. I only wish I could have benefitted from talking to him like you talked to your Uncle.

Again my condolances
    NT

8. Thank you mate - and for the rest of the kind words from everyone else - Its very much appreciated. Don't mind admitting I had some dust in my eye earlier tonight.

He only really spoke to me about his wartime exploits after I got a few G+T's into him, and then only strictly out of earshot of my aunt. Typical of that breed I suppose.

Being who he was, he always had a G+T at midday regardless - and I thank the Doctor who let him continue with that tradition when he was in hospital at the end.

Edited to say: I hope to contact the RM museum in time, and hopefully they will give the pictures a good home.

9. That generation are a breed unto themselves.

My Grandfather was young when he died as was I...... one of my biggest regrets and most saddening thoughts is that I never got to know him, listen to his stories, and hopefully live up to his expectations.

Doesn't stop you being feircly proud though.....

Often when I think back to tours I went on, in relativley cushy times, I can't help but imagine what it must have been like to take part in a war lasting 6 years. Survivign Arnhem, being given four days leave to get married then being shipped off to Burma to fight the japs.

Each one of them a better man than me, and despite me not liking single malt Fozzy, your uncle is being toasted again.

I'm crap at stuff like this, its a swindle that blokes like this don't live forever.

10. I can't follow that as I think you've summed it up perfectly.

So all I can say is:

"To absent friends"

11. You post away...

My Uncle Dan was a ship's Marine. They manned the forrard guns. They also went ashore with stens, and would you believe, cutlasses.

He had every WW2 gong available, apart from air crew europe.

I picked him up in his council flat, wearing my LIR "splendour". I took him to a smoker on the Kings road, at our barracks.

He asked me whether the chaps would mind if he wore his medals.

I told him that the chaps would mind, very much, if he didn't.

12. Can't wait to see the photo's Fozzy,

Lost my old grandad Frank this year, top man, good egg, and only just beginnig to find out exactly what the old goat would never tell us, he did the russian convoys to, and had 3 ships shot out from under him (f ucking jonah or what!)

Here's to em all.

13. Here's to them...

Who's like them?

There's none like them

14. Amazing men one and all

15. Theres damn few

And they're all dead.

Rest Easy