Wix.com Any Good or is there a better FREE Website builder?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Gundulph, Jul 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Discovered Wix.com today and it looks quite good for a basic free website construction, anyone used it before?

Wix Dot Com
  2. I had a quick look, and it is only free if you use their name in your url, www.wix.com/batko's_site or something like that.
    If you already own a domain, you must upgrade if you want to use it with their site designs.

Is there a decent, free alternative for people that already own a domain?
  3. What are you trying to make? Did web development at Uni so could help you out.

Those free website site produce bloated code and you will hit a wall if you want to do more advanced stuff.

PM if you need help building a site.
  4. The best way to create a website is with hpage.com.
    It offers beginners and also advanced users the possibility to create their own websites online.
    After choosing a username you can start with building of your website in one minute.
    For less experienced users who don´t have any programming skills, more than 300 designs to choose from are available. Creating your own website with hpage's user-friendly online editor then is very easy working.
    The advertisement can be completely shut.
    You can have favicon, you can make header settings such as keywords, description, copyright, author, indexing and you also have the opportunity to specify the address for an individual additional css stylesheet.
    hPage.com is really easy and makes great fun.
  5. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

It all depends what you want the web site to do, if you have your own domain and what something that is flexible then you might want to look at content management systems, Wordpress for blog type sites and Joomla for more flexible layouts. I use Joomla Sgt Slingsby and Hols4Heroes (and a few others) but also use Wordpress which I have found to be less flexible in the layout department but less buggy and easier to use.

Static HTML is so last decade...

Gundulph, PM me with what you are looking to do and I will help out where I can
  6. How much does
    joomla and wordpress cost?
  7. meridian

Although you can extend it with templates, add ons etc, some of which are not free although they are cheap
  8. Thanks everyone...

Meridian, I was looking at a simple one pager for www.Pull-Up-Sandbag.co.uk so we can add the links to the current Book, plus add some decent things like a couple of the stories from the Sequel, a Guestbook etc... how the sequel is going, the artwork and suggestions...
  9. Joomla and Wordpress are open source so free!

Wordpress started out as blogging software but can be used as a content management system such as joomla.

If cost is an initial issue you can sign up to wordpress and have a sub domain off them such as wordpess.[insert your domain name]

It is possible to set up wordpress under your own domain as you can with joomla. Cost should be no more than £20 - £30 quid a year for that.

To set up joomla/wordpress on a local machine will take some technical knowledge of PHP/MYSQL which may hinder you if not that way. Though there are numerous tutorials on how to set this up..
  10. meridian

If you want to set up Joomla on a local machine to do the development work before uploading to a live server there are a couple of standalone packages I have used that are really good but for Gundulphs application I would say the simplicity of Wordpress wins out over the flexibility and power of Joomla

Gundulph, will PM you in a min
  11. BUMP

Need to do a very basic website - listing items for sale in four or five categories, plus some links, etc. I already have domain name & space.

Now we're a year on from the last post in this thread, whats the current recommendation for an easy-to-use-and-preferably-free website building package?

12. I have used Drupal which is all open source and you can get quite a dynamic powerful website going that looks pretty pro without too much difficulty. You download the main package and then select layouts/themes and extra modules. I have a little knowledge of PHP which has allowed me to muddle through in the past - but I tend to get bored of it and if one of your modules screws the system you start all over again!

13. Try this. WYSIWYG Web Builder very simple to use and free for 30 days if you don't mind their small logo at the bottom of your pages (£30.00ish if you buy). Very easy to use and a great support forum if you get stuck.

Camm 1
  14. Being really dim I have read the thread, googled, read more and now have information overload. In a properly monkey see, monkey do style can someone suggest an idiot proof way of getting a domain name and creating a website at minimal cost.

This would need my own content to be uploaded into it. Require no technical expertise whatsoever. And also provide the ability to have an email address at the domain rather than using hotmail etc.

As far as I can see there are 2 main ways to do it:

First is to create the site and upload it to a service - what is the best way to do this?
    Second is to use a website creator that gives the domain name and also hosts the site - If this is done do you 'own' a copy of the site in case you choose to change who hosts it.

As you can probably see by the rambling I haven't got a clue so please be gentle! (This isn't the NAAFI ;-))
  15. I would like to set up a website as an experiment which I might go commercial with if it gets any interest. My concept is to have a free website hosting (one without adverts and crap) to set up on initially and then to advance to paid hosting if there seems to be interest generated.

I have tried: http://freehostingnoads.net/ but keep getting a "try again tomorrow" anyone have any ideas for decent free web hosting?

The next thing will be to get a website set up, but here I have a real problem. Not only have I absofrigginglutely no idea how to make a web site and I have no artistic talents at all and even my sofa covers are DPM. I also have a very limited attention span for this kind of stuff and banana fingers to boot. But I'd like to give it a go.

Any non piss taking advice will be very gratefully received.