Wives Of.

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by zero-over, Apr 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does the Army still send mail to pad's wives addressed to "Wife Of [Insert Rank and name]" or has it got all touchy-feely now?
  2. They found it more efficient to whisper it at the HIVE and Wives club with the caveat "but shh, it's a secret". The whole patch has it within minutes
    • Like Like x 1
  3. "Embittered Ex Of"?
  4. Dear boyfriend of Zero-Over,

He started a thread on ARRSE.

Unfortunately it died. Can you please send us its boots, spare gucci kit, and grot mags.

Many thanks and best wishes

The Army
    No.1 Main Road
  5. P.S. It still owes me a tenner.
  6. I opened this thread with such high hopes!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Back when I was in (80's and 90's), we were instructed at some point during that time, can't exactly remember when that c/o (care of) was to be used on things such as letters, documents and appointments.
    It was meant to be a simplification as all family members could be addressed the same.
  8. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Posted to Cyprus about 10 years ago, I couldn't set up a phone line because I was 'Husband Of'; so I sent the missus (but only after I'd already driven into town and been sent back).
  9. Personally I always hated the term Army Wives ( even though I never had my own, only others)- the spouse was in the army, NOT them. There was an urban myth about the US Navy years ago when the new Captain of a ship had all the wives attend a briefing and invited them to sit down in rank order, the self important ones shunting themselves to the comfy chairs at the front. He then reminded them that it was their husbands serving, not them. I recall a nmber of women who 'assumed' their husband's rank- some did a sterling job on the welfare side though, without any financial reward.
  10. Did they send the letters back marked OMO?
  11. When I was a wee lad that happened at my prep school. The colonel's wife was very lonely!
  12. I always thought it was correct to use the word 'Dependant', often in a scaggy emaciated drug-addict sort of way
  13. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I think it went from W/O to D/O around the mid-90s, or maybe a tad earlier.
  14. "Heiffer of" was deemed a tad too risque?
  15. The buggy brigade just tend to turn up at the Sqn and pick up the husbands mail/oversized Amazon packages/everything else.