Wives Of.

Does the Army still send mail to pad's wives addressed to "Wife Of [Insert Rank and name]" or has it got all touchy-feely now?

They found it more efficient to whisper it at the HIVE and Wives club with the caveat "but shh, it's a secret". The whole patch has it within minutes

Dear boyfriend of Zero-Over,

He started a thread on ARRSE.

Unfortunately it died. Can you please send us its boots, spare gucci kit, and grot mags.

Many thanks and best wishes

The Army
No.1 Main Road
London
WC1

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Back when I was in (80's and 90's), we were instructed at some point during that time, can't exactly remember when that c/o (care of) was to be used on things such as letters, documents and appointments.
It was meant to be a simplification as all family members could be addressed the same.

Posted to Cyprus about 10 years ago, I couldn't set up a phone line because I was 'Husband Of'; so I sent the missus (but only after I'd already driven into town and been sent back).

Personally I always hated the term Army Wives ( even though I never had my own, only others)- the spouse was in the army, NOT them. There was an urban myth about the US Navy years ago when the new Captain of a ship had all the wives attend a briefing and invited them to sit down in rank order, the self important ones shunting themselves to the comfy chairs at the front. He then reminded them that it was their husbands serving, not them. I recall a nmber of women who 'assumed' their husband's rank- some did a sterling job on the welfare side though, without any financial reward.

Did they send the letters back marked OMO?

When I was a wee lad that happened at my prep school. The colonel's wife was very lonely!

I always thought it was correct to use the word 'Dependant', often in a scaggy emaciated drug-addict sort of way

I always thought it was correct to use the word 'Dependant', often in a scaggy emaciated drug-addict sort of way
I think it went from W/O to D/O around the mid-90s, or maybe a tad earlier.

The buggy brigade just tend to turn up at the Sqn and pick up the husbands mail/oversized Amazon packages/everything else.

Personally I always hated the term Army Wives ( even though I never had my own, only others)- the spouse was in the army, NOT them. There was an urban myth about the US Navy years ago when the new Captain of a ship had all the wives attend a briefing and invited them to sit down in rank order, the self important ones shunting themselves to the comfy chairs at the front. He then reminded them that it was their husbands serving, not them. I recall a nmber of women who 'assumed' their husband's rank- some did a sterling job on the welfare side though, without any financial reward.
RHIP Worked at BZN wives club back in the 80s much to my bunny boilers dislike ( SACs wives were only good for making tea not decisions). She didn't quite get the idea of crab airs RHIP being passed on to the twinset and pearls bunch.

Being a senior civil servant at the time it kinda rubbed her up a tad. Needless to say she didn't last long there by mutual agreement of her and the twinset bunch.

By all accounts it was mumsnet in the making and my wife had the maternal instinct of a rattlesnake.

Dear boyfriend of Zero-Over,

He started a thread on ARRSE.

Unfortunately it died. Can you please send us its boots, spare gucci kit, and grot mags.

Many thanks and best wishes

The Army
No.1 Main Road
London
WC1
3123 was a million times better than you, even if he was an ice cream van driving skiplicker.

I think it went from W/O to D/O around the mid-90s, or maybe a tad earlier.
We started using "dependent of" at the BMH in 89/90. The dependents seemed to like that even less than "wife of".

Posted to Cyprus about 10 years ago, I couldn't set up a phone line because I was 'Husband Of'; so I sent the missus (but only after I'd already driven into town and been sent back).
Same problem when posted to Brussels all within the past 10 years, cars, Tel everything had to be set up by Mrs 06, and we think we have embraced equality.

We started using "dependent of" at the BMH in 89/90. The dependents seemed to like that even less than "wife of".
Thanks. My memory is a bit shaky, but still in the right park. For the benefit of younger chaps, the issue was that wives' and children's medical records were filed under 'Wife Of 24401999 Pte Baggins B' in the cabinet.

Edit - not all of them, obviously, that was merely an example.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mighty_doh_nut Now That's What I Call NAAFI Bar 89
Sekundra Officers 7
B The Intelligence Cell 12