Witnessing the End of an Era

Doc Blackadder

Old-Salt
It's closed as a Station, and served as as a Relief Landing Ground for RAF Linton on Ouse (now closed, as well). Church Fenton is now known as East Leeds Airport, since 2014.
My first married quarter was Linton on Ouse (2015) Was fun watching the baby pilots practising formation flying but hearing the unsteady application of throttle always made the hairs on my neck rise, especially when i knew they were landing! Hearing RRRRRRR......RRRRRRRR....RR..RR...RRRRRRRR then sudden silence was very disconcerting!

arfah

LE
I overnighted there in 1999 on my way to the Royal Tournament. I took a screw out of a notice board, to put in the wall of my room so I could hang up my on the piss kit. Jammed a crunchie wrapper into the notice board hole. I went back last year for a course and the crunchie wrapper was still there

was it a Friday?

Mölders 1

Old-Salt
And closed after huge investment in new hangars.

Slightly off topic but l believe that R.A.F. St Athan' days were numbered as soon as the Treasury had decided to Privatise the work that was being done there back in the early 90's.

Although not a "Front Line" Airbase it was always very busy, l sometimes saw a Tornado, Jaguar coming from or going to land there.

Slightly off topic but l believe that R.A.F. St Athan' days were numbered as soon as the Treasury had decided to Privatise the work that was being done there back in the early 90's.

Although not a "Front Line" Airbase it was always very busy, l sometimes saw a Tornado, Jaguar coming from or going to land there.
It wasn't helped by the contractors buggering a number of Tornado airframes during that time.

Erinon

Old-Salt
Churchill School that I attended in Verden is now a German school, the camp and the pads quarters have been handed back.
Windsor school that I attended has been abandoned on JHQ when they handed it back.
Deepcut where I did my phase two is in the process of closing down.
My first unit 16 Regt RLC was disbanded in 1999 (or 2000).
My second unit 2CS/2LSR was disbanded in 2015
I did 3 stints in Germany 2CS once and 6 regt twice, the camp has now been abandoned after being handed back.

I swear Thanos is following me around clicking his fingers and erasing large parts of my past.
@stacker1 I never realised you were such a sprog. I thought you were a bit more "mature" with some proper RAOC blood in you.

Erinon

Old-Salt
I went to Gib the week of 9/11 - remember walking around the abandoned barracks on the point, very eerie, especially a it was the same design buildings as many other barracks in UK. Sad to see the weeds growing out of the cracks, the gradual dilapidation of the place. knowing how once it was proudly maintained and the roar of the Sgt Major's, " got orf my parade ground!"

It is part of the Defence (ie Army) Training Estate
That baffles me as it is an air to ground range manned by RAF personel.

Still has a Station Badge.

Last edited:
That baffles me as it is an air to ground range manned by RAF personel.

Still has a Station Badge.
No longer listed by the RAF as an RAF station. They transferred to Defence Training Estates in 2006

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
When I started in MOD there were 28 MOD office buildings in London. Now there’s 1 and a bit. I’ve worked in 6 that are now demolished, hotels or turned over to civilian use.
I’ve become quite the pub bore walking around London pointing out buildings Long gone or repurposed..... well, until The Great Lockdown I had.

Kinhell, there isn't many RAF stations left

There was a paper circulating around HQRAFSC in the late 80s forecasting a total of upto 15 main operating bases (MOBS), a uniformed strength of 32500 and a transfer of some roles to other sources after all the drawdowns had been completed. I believe the manning figure is fairly near that now. Looking at @Filthy_contract's map, the number of MOBs isn't all that far off the prediction.

It was quite "interesting" to see the huffing and puffing from the high-ups at the proposals - "never happen", "won't let it happen" - as empire preservation mode set.

When I started in MOD there were 28 MOD office buildings in London. Now there’s 1 and a bit. I’ve worked in 6 that are now demolished, hotels or turned over to civilian use.
I’ve become quite the pub bore walking around London pointing out buildings Long gone or repurposed..... well, until The Great Lockdown I had.
I made the mistake several times in the 1990s of going into Metropole and pitching up at a room and realising I was meant to be in the other one on Northumberland Ave.

Travelling around just about any part of the old Empire & Commonwealth. A Baily bridge here, a grand central post office there, a Wren church amidst the mango trees, etc.

Passing thorough Bangalore, I had a meeting at the Gymkhana club. A huge old colonial building; verandahs, tennis courts, leather armchairs in the lounge, large function room equipped with crockery from Staffordshire and cutlery from Sheffield (all very Army & Navy department store catalogue).

In one wing was a billiard room, with several full size tables. On the walls was painted an extensive mural: chaps playing cricket; girls in flapper dresses playing tennis, couples in evening dress, some in uniform, others in sports kit. Mostly white of course, though fair mix of Indians too. All very belle epoch and ghostly.

It must be how the Roman Empire looked in the century after the legions withdrew - grand buildings and gardens falling into ruin, populated by new people in much humbler homesteads, going through some of the motions of the lingering cultures of that vanished race.
Funny you should mention Bangalore, this old cove (Dad) God rest his soul was a pad brat in the early 30s. In 1989 he took a grossly over prices Saga jolly to spend our inheritance and went to South India to relive his childhood. His father was in 1933 a S/Sgt looking after M&E things -'Water lights and railways' with the Sappers. On his jolly down memory lane he stopped at the now Indian Army Barracks and eyeballed the camp gate and said when I was a boy I lived here, on announcing he was an ex Brigadier the local unit pulled together a Guard of honour and gave him a day to remember.
Here are a few random photos out of his album, do wish he had written what was what!

Attachments

• Holy Trinity Church.JPG
    Holy Trinity Church.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 34
  • South India.JPG
    South India.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Pad brat (Dad) 1933.JPG
    Pad brat (Dad) 1933.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 34
Indeed, good sir when IIRC the Union Jack was hauled down in many of parts of the Empire there was a keen sense of loss
Dad was a son of the Empire and when he signed on in 1947 he got some cracking postings many just as the Union Jack was being pulled down. Cyprus 1955-58 and as a family we were some of the last to travel back by troop ship then up the Suez canal,
Aden 1967 again he was there when the Brigade Major (later General Black Bob) ran back to remove the flag forgotten in the rush as we handed over - the choppers were taking the Royal Marines off to HMS Bulwark.
Tragically we were short posted to Singapore in 1968 arriving shortly after independence was announced and we were then sent to Northumberland!!
We got Cyprus again in 74, now that was a little bit of Empire.

Polyester

War Hero
Yes, I could add to that stations that are scheduled to close (Wyton, Henlow, Halton....)
Where will they put Avn Medicine? Big job to move those Hypobaric chambers?

I was part of the team that stripped out Bastion hospital in 2014, that was an emotional time as i had seen troops being treated and had worked there myself. Seeing it go from a fully operational medical facility to a shell really hit me harder than i expected it too. Having a final walk around and seeing the "ghosts of the past" hit it home....hard!
Saw a recent programme on Bastion and they walked through the Medical centre, very sobering. That was a place another close family member had a close and intimate acquaintance with. The Pedro crews were outstanding!

A lot of Hong Kong Chinese who are not enamoured of the new regime and their PRC owners say 'that even the heaven's cried that day' when the Union Jack was lowered for the last time in Hong Kong.

Having spent two extremely happy years in Osborn Barracks, Kowloon Tong, I know what they mean.
Spent a fortnight in Osborn Barracks, can see why you miss it. Lion Peak was the one place I didn't miss, it was a forced march route for us before we went to Brunei.

Latest Threads