Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Witch hunt!

What this thread needs is poetry....

Squaddie's Lament

Pretty women out walking with gorillas down my street
From my window I'm staring while my coffee grows cold
Look over there! (Where?)
There's a lady that I used to know
She's married now or engaged or something so I'm told

Is she really going out with him?
Is she really gonna take him home tonight?
'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
There's something going wrong around here

Tonight's the night when I go to all the parties down my street.
I wash my hair and I kid myself I look real smooth
Here comes Jeanie with her new boyfriend
They say that looks don't count for much
If so, there goes your proof

Don't you know that it's different for girls...

And here's Smokey Joe keeping some strange company:

[video=youtube;6SPogGqCgeM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SPogGqCgeM[/video]

Now I know I am getting old. both my brats were born there in 79 and 81. When did it go belly up? Is there still BMH Munster, I did my drying up there in 81 and a half. So sad

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer
You're going to really hate this one then...
Ref your above of the 17 Nov Inst. Stop it or i will shoot you in the face (repeatedly) with my Hilti gun.

Apoplectic. Andover.

Squaddie's Lament

Pretty women out walking with gorillas down my street
From my window I'm staring while my coffee grows cold
There's a lady that I used to know
She's married now or engaged or something so I'm told

Is she really gonna take him home tonight?
'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
There's something going wrong around here

Tonight's the night when I go to all the parties down my street.
I wash my hair and I kid myself I look real smooth
Here comes Jeanie with her new boyfriend
They say that looks don't count for much
If so, there goes your proof

Don't you know that it's different for girls...

And here's Smokey Joe keeping some strange company:

[video=youtube;6SPogGqCgeM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SPogGqCgeM[/video]

Saw them at Roundhay Park Leeds in 82. The Stones were the main event and the JJ lot were taking pics of the crowd cos it was the biggest gig they`d ever done.

And before you ask, no, they weren`t very good.

Smokers aren't generally the ones starting fights in pubs and going home pissing their trousers!,it's the gopping bastards that think a good night out is to get hammered and cause offence, Well after that rant I now need to load my pipe with a good measure of warhorse shag.

Saw them at Roundhay Park Leeds in 82. The Stones were the main event and the JJ lot were taking pics of the crowd cos it was the biggest gig they`d ever done.

And before you ask, no, they weren`t very good.

Ah well, maybe his long-winded, bandwidth-hogging essay skills make up for it :)

For want of an apostrophy...

Be that any relation to a catastrophy?

Or are you subtly implying that H3 should be the recipient of a bucket-shaped bit of bling on a stalk in recognition of his contribution to furthering extreme irritation?

--A cogent piece that exposes the fundamental irrationality of health education and attempts to enforce 'healthy lifestyles' (WTF!?)

"LA also has America’s highest murder rate, but doesn’t ban guns"

--Anti-smoking is also partly driven by "a sour and punitive Puritanism, or a lurking desire in society to have some minority to beat up on, and feel superior to, now that all other minorities seem to be off-limits."

"the more smoking is targeted, the fewer resources are allocated to lung cancer research."

"cynically speaking, lung cancer is a ‘cheap’ cancer, with most victims dead within a few months"

--Nuff said.

"someone is called a ‘smoker’ when they quit 20 years ago!"

--I quit 35 years ago and my GP's computer says I'm a smoker.

"Estimates of deaths from smoking are based mostly on speculative mathematical projections..."

--All the studies are epidemiological and the reports depend on the integrity of the researchers. But the temptation to play with p values and sample sizes overcomes not a few academics.

"We are now being told that the working class has much more disease and premature death than the middle class"

--The undeserving chavs who have only themselves to blame for their woes.

"Why not go all the way and put us in the stocks, to be pelted with garbage?!"

Smoking helps "stress reduction, weight control, and improved concentration and memory."

--I second that.

--Environmental Tobacco Smoke: the Orwellian term for the fact that "you could, if it were politically expedient to do so, construct an argument that SHS is good for you. It would be a fraudulent argument, but only fractionally more so than the argument that SHS is a grave threat"

--After I gave up smoking and developed asthma I found that second-hand cigarette (not cigar not pipe) smoke could trigger an exacerbation. To prevent that happening all I needed to do was to up the inhaled steroids before exposure and use the bronchodilator afterwards.

More of a problem was my neighbour in the next door office room who used to smoke all day. Only an issue because of the gaps in the jerry built wall partitions.

In NY (and anywhere else that imposed a smoking ban) "people who simply don’t like smoke could have been accomodated by (a) good air-cleaning systems and (b) a market-driven choice of smoking and nonsmoking spaces".

--Eggzackly.

"Again and again, doctors and politicians fail to understand that pleasure and free choice are just as important to people as ‘health’; in fact, they are part of ‘health’. Depriving people of their pleasures makes them unhappy. Nagging, bullying and coercing them makes them angry and rebellious as well."

--As married ARRSERs will testify.

"it doesn’t take a lot of digging to discover that big pharmaceutical companies are the biggest contributors to the antismoking crusade"

"Tobacco companies are mostly keeping quiet and contenting themselves with expanding markets in China, Eastern Europe, etc."

--For a while I was on the periphery of the original work done (and evaluated with RCTs) on smoking cessation. The utter tripe being peddled by GPs and pharmacies bears no relation to the individually tailored programmes that the RCTs investigated. You now have 18 year old shop assistants merrily advising worried punters before flogging them some form of nicotine replacement.

"Alcohol causes enormous damage, not just to the drinker but to others, in all kinds of ways which are much more apparent than the alleged effects of ‘secondhand smoke’. And yet, in the boozy culture of Britain, at least, drunken excess is often excused with a smile and a wink."

--It takes many years to croak from alcoholism. An alcoholic in the early stages can be good and hospitable company. By the time he/she reaches end-stage it's only loyal friends and family that stick around, often at a lot of cost to their own well-being. A smoker is often a drinker who then finds that giving up the fags leaves him/her with sugar cravings that alcohol as well as sweets and cakes can satisfy. AFIK smoking cigs attentuates the inebriating effects of alcohol.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

G

goatrutar

I gave up above 12 months ago. Now I find they fucking stink and they're outrageously expensive here. Nearly a dollar a smoke.

All smokers smell like the inside of satans arsehole on bad days.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
This time last year I went to a restaurant in Liege and they asked me if wanted a smoking or non-smoking table!

Be that any relation to a catastrophy?

Or are you subtly implying that H3 should be the recipient of a bucket-shaped bit of bling on a stalk in recognition of his contribution to furthering extreme irritation?

Not really, this is a catastrophy...
310438wceb_w.jpg

swordman

RIP
RIP
fact! If I had not given up smoking cigarettes, Cigars, and a pipe. I would not be here now, No if or buts ..that is it.
trouble is after giving it up for a considerable time. The mere whiff of fag smoke is bloody awful. So in some ways it makes you a bit of hypocrite....

Singlefish

Swinger
fact! If I had not given up smoking cigarettes, Cigars, and a pipe. I would not be here now, No if or buts ..that is it.
trouble is after giving it up for a considerable time. The mere whiff of fag smoke is bloody awful. So in some ways it makes you a bit of hypocrite....

I'm with you, ten years off 'em. The worst is the idle fucks who stand right in the entrance to boozers filling the doorway with reek and blockin my way to the bar!!!

BiscuitsAB

LE

Really? I've not had one since 20th Aug 2012 and I'm normally gagging for one at least once a day. Doesn't bother me others smoking unless its in the car with the windows up then it gets a bit much.

Latest Threads