Wish me luck.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Mr.Brown, Mar 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So, just paid a visit to the ACIO, got my rail warrant sorted out and I'll be at ADSC Pirbright on Wednesday morning, looking to join The Rifles.

I do have one question: when dealing with NCOs, am I to address them as sir, or by their rank?

Anyway thanks for all the tips and advice so far, it's finally down to me and I don't plan on disappointing.
  2. by rank, call them sir if you dare.
  3. Do us colonial folk proud. Good luck.

another aussie.
  4. Will do, on both counts. I've been training pretty hard, got my average 1.5 miler down to about 10:15, 6 chin-ups, I'm pretty confident on the weight tests, so long as I don't have any medical dramas then I think I'll be ok.

5. Call corperals by rank, and sgt's etc.

If you forget the rank of a high ranking officer - Just say sir. They wont bite.
  6. Commissioned officers and Warrant officers, address as 'sir', the rest by rank.
  7. One Chevron: rank is Lance corporal, but called corporal
    two Chevrons: rank is corporal, called corporal
    three chevrons: rank is sergeant, called sergeant
    three chevrons with a crown above: rank is staff sergeant, called staff (or colour if infantry)
    anything else: called Sir.
    But you will be taught this early on so dont worry about it too much.
  8. Thanks very much again, unfortunately I have one more question:

Would it be more advisable to show up at Brookwood in my suit or PT gear? I'd like to make a good impression since this is basically one big job interview.

Cheers again folks.

*Edited due to a typo*
  9. Can't go wrong with a suit mate. You'll get a chance to change into your pt gear after your medical.
  10. All sorted then, just bought myself a flash silk tie to go with it.
  11. Quite a few turned up in suits when I went.
    I turned up in Jeans, T-shirt and sparkling white trainers - This is only because I didn't want to risk ballsing the 180 quid suit up. I bought it the day before I left :)

Up to you, Suit seemed fine as you did have time to get changed.
  12. You won't go wrong in a suit, first impressions and all that. But as far as I can remember back, it didn't matter too much. I can't even remember what I wore at my ADSC and I did okay. I've never heard of it coming down to if a potential recruit was dressed smartly or not.

But either way, good luck and have fun. You seem to have a good attitude and fairly fit so I imagine you will do great.
  13. I just went in a different shirt and suit pants, didn't wanna mess my suit up for final interview by missing my mouth with food or summet :roll:

If you think you can safely avoid any "misshaps" then suits a good choice :D
  14. Good news lads, passed with flying colours and I'm bloody pleased about it. I didn't do so well on the heaves (only managed 4 on the day for some reason) but I made up for it on the back strength and static lift tests, the jerry can carry was easier than I expected, and I got 10:08 on the run so all in all I think I did alright. I managed to get through the two days without getting myself in trouble which was encouraging, but the phys made it pretty clear how much work I still have to do before I'd be ready for the CIC, especially on sprinting (it always takes me a while to speed up) and upper body strength. I wound up changing my first preference back to the Royal Irish Regiment on the advice of the Major who conducted my interview, so now its just a matter of waiting to hear from the ACIO and sorting out dates, I think that I'll try to get some time, since I'll miss 1 R IRISH's deployment to Afghanistan in any event, and it definintely seems like a good idea to be as fit as possible before attempting the CIC.

Anyway thanks again for all the tips guys.