wise to apply at the marines as an officer at the age of 17?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by dolmiooday, Feb 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i want to be an officer in the marines as soon as possible and the minimum age is 17, would this be advised? the thought of going to college, uni then sandhurst to become an officer in the paras is terrible haha id be around 22 when finally joining up so i figured the marines at 17 was a good idea?
  2. The younger you are, the more difficult it is to get through. But if you are good enough, then go for it.

Time spent commanding soldiers, or marines, beats studying any day
  3. Remember you need A Levels.
  4. yeah thats what i thoughtt lol but because im not even 15 yet ive got alot of time to prepare and ill be training hard every day soon, and as my uncle did the commando test at the age of 55 hes told me alot about how the best ways to train are and which areas are most essential

5. i'd finish college first, and im predicted straight A's at the moment so i hope to leave college with good grades
  6. Uncle Chris by any chance?

Got to ba a wah.... :roll:
  7. Ah yes, we all know your uncle chap, Chris yes?

bite wah.
  8. It could happen, and if you're not wahhing us, then best of luck fella! A certain Marine officer, now retired, joined straight out of school when he was 17, and finished up as Commandant of the Commando Training Centre, but he joined back in the 60's so things are probably different nowadays. Interesting chap though, and if you go onto become anything like him, then well done!
  9. The above might be a bite but IIRC about 5-6 years ago a 55 YO TA Capt (RE?, 131) passed the AACC/RFCC.

10. there was a fella from that commandos on the frontline tv show who was 50-60 odd never had any forces background and passed the whole commando course beating some recruits 20-30+ years younger than him.
  11. Yes but he also had a background running triathlons :wink:
  12. still a good crack for a 50 odd something who has no background of forces training. yes being a triathlete gives you a good average of fitness but he was mid or late 50`s so his overall fitness should of been pissed over by a 20 something year old.
  13. My son applied some years back with a BA degree and was super fit. A little older than you. He passed all the tests well except leadership skills. He was invited back for a retest. His grandpa, a retired Naval commander was going to tutor him, but for some reason he decided not to, much to my dissapointment. It is hard but as long as you are confident with what is required, go for it, lad. You can do it again if you mess up! Good luck, matey!
  14. It's taken me a while to decipher your question and, as other posters have suggested, it could well be a "wah". But here goes:

If the thought of "going to college, uni then sandhurst....is terrible" I suggest you are not cut out to become a commissioned officer in either the Army or the Royal Marines.

By all means, join the Army or the Royal Marines at 17 as a soldier and work your way up through the ranks, but the number of people who commission from the (junior) ranks is very small.

It would be better, if that is your intention, to pass as many GCSEs and A Levels as possible, go to university, read for a good degree and then apply to the Army or the Royal Marines for a commission. I suggest that joining the local Cadet Force or Venture Scouts at the same time would help develop some of the personal skills that you will need to be successful in your chosen career.

15. My experience was that I joined RN as aircrew (pilot) at 19, straight after A-levels, and really , it was my undoing. I realised, years later, that at 23 I was then the man they had wanted, but I wasn't at 19, even though I passed selection for it. If I were you, get some A-levels at the very least. And better still, get a few hundred quid together and go and travel in a third-world place for a few months - I did after I got binned by the Navy, and it taught me a lot more than any other experience I've ever had. And, I think I'm right in saying it will definitely help tell you whether you want to be an RM officer, and if you do get in, and I hope you do, it will make you a better one when you get there.
    Officer training in RM is very, very intense - I haven't met many 17 year olds who could do it. Indeed, if you think about it, not many people at all can do it.