Wisdom Teeth

Every General Anaesthetic carries a degree of risk, the risk is lower if you are healthy but complications can occur in anybody.

We used to be able to provide GAs ourselves but a few too many deaths led to a change in legislation so that now anaesthetics have to be administered by a anaesthesist.

However we can still provide IV and inhalation sedation.
I can understand that. Our old next door neighbour was was left on his own to look after a two year old son when his wife went to the dentist and came home in a wooden box. This was about 1970 though.

ScreamingHat

Swinger
Thanks all, spoke to the recruiter on Friday and he was pretty much indifferent, shouldn't impact my application and hopefully my fitness is as good as I think it is to see me through the op. Cheers.

Ned_Seagoon

Old-Salt
Ned minor has had the works. Three years ago, he had one removed as an emergency when it began to fall appart. Apparently this was a mistake as they should always be removed in pairs, both left and/or both right, otherwise the “partner” tooth will have problems. Scroll forward two years and this is precisely what happened. Our dentist decided that it needed to come out and looking a his xrays, suggested that it would be a good idea to take the opposite pair at the same time. Referred us to a consultant who was outstanding. He had all three out under local anesthetic in less than 15 minutes. It would be disingenuous to say that he wasn’t uncomfortable for the next few days but there was no swelling. Top job.

Last edited:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Just make sure you Have plenty of anesthesia.

37274A4E-3747-4642-8E5F-579B0B144CB2.jpeg

Had all four out in the early seventies with just a local. No problems at all.

Being wisdomless will only bring the OP down to the same level as the rest of us.....

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Ned minor has had the works. Three years ago, he had one removed as an emergency when it began to fall appart. Apparently this was a mistake as they should always be removed in pairs, both left and/or both right, otherwise the “partner” tooth will have problems. Scroll forward two years and this is precisely what happened. Our dentist decided that it needed to come out and looking a his xrays, suggested that it would be a good idea to take the opposite pair at the same time. Referred us to a consultant who was outstanding. He had all three out under local anesthetic in less than 15 minutes. It would be disingenuous to say that he wasn’t uncomfortable for the next few days but there was no swelling. Top job.
There's absolutely no need for them to be removed in pairs.

Other than for personal amusement, obviously.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer

Although I think I'm right in saying that dentists would not generally advise having both lowers taken at the same time under local, because of possible difficulties in swallowing with ID block on both sides, so normally two visits unless you elect for ga which I think most dentists would not advise?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Although I think I'm right in saying that dentists would not generally advise having both lowers taken at the same time under local, because of possible difficulties in swallowing with ID block on both sides, so normally two visits unless you elect for ga which I think most dentists would not advise?
I have never taken contralateral lower wisdom teeth at the same visit under local as you are indeed correct, there would be potentially difficulty with havibg entire tongue numb.

These days we try to avoid GA wherever possible but it is still occasionally used for severely impacted wisdom teeth.

I had four impacted wisdom teeth and was given the option of four local procedures or a general anaesthetic in one go. I opted for the general.

It was the only time I've ever wanted to stay overnight in hospital. The pain was bad, the painkilling injection made me throw up, which affected the wounds.

Rainman1 had the same a few years ago with pretty much the same result, but at least his two consultants got together to do two procedures in the same op.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

Ned_Seagoon

Old-Salt

I bow to your professional superiority. I am by no means an expert in this area, merely stating what our own (albeit French) consultant had said. No doubt it is a not so subtle income generation scheme.

ScreamingHat

Swinger
Well, the goods news is the infection has cleared up (had a reaction to the antibiotics so that was fun) and now I am back to mild levels of discomfort.... No sign of referral papers yet but I am sure they will appear. Under no illusion, this will probably suck a bit but will be good to get it done.

I had one of mine out 20 years ago under local anaesthetic. The sound is similar to twisting the handle of a china mug with a pair of pliers until it breaks. Couple of paracetamol (NO aspirin) and dinner that evening was mashed banana, scrambled egg and pate. Nothing to worry about.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I had mine out at 14, all 4 of them under GA, painful but I got a week of school.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I had mine out at 14, all 4 of them under GA, painful but I got a week of school.

14 eh?

You must have been prematurely wise. ;-)

All four... by Dr. Christian Szell under GA at the Josef Mengele Experimental Dentistry Unit in the now disappeared Honey Lane Hospital.

Not something I’d ever wish to repeat should I ever find myself time travelling back to when I had the choice.

I have never taken contralateral lower wisdom teeth at the same visit under local as you are indeed correct, there would be potentially difficulty with havibg entire tongue numb.

These days we try to avoid GA wherever possible but it is still occasionally used for severely impacted wisdom teeth.
That's interesting. I had one lower removed under a local while living in Germany, and it was not a pleasant experience, whereas, I had the other lower removed in Houston under a GA, and it was a much easier process.

Apart from the risk of death, of course.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Well, the goods news is the infection has cleared up (had a reaction to the antibiotics so that was fun) and now I am back to mild levels of discomfort.... No sign of referral papers yet but I am sure they will appear. Under no illusion, this will probably suck a bit but will be good to get it done.
Depends where you are in the country

Latest Threads