Wisdom Teeth

ScreamingHat

Swinger
Morning all,

Found out yesterday that all my Wisdom teeth need whipping out in the New Year, will this have any impact on my reserve applicaton from a medical point of view? At my local unit for a chat with my recruiter tomorrow so will bring it up.

Cheers,

Hat.

Morning all,

Found out yesterday that all my Wisdom teeth need whipping out in the New Year, will this have any impact on my reserve applicaton from a medical point of view? At my local unit for a chat with my recruiter tomorrow so will bring it up.

Cheers,

Hat.
Doesn't seem likely.

But, based on having all 4 of mine whipped out in a one-er at BMH Berlin 30 years ago, you can expect to wake up from the anaesthetic feeling like you've been beaten head to foot with rubber truncheons

So - on that note - have a Happy New Year
:thumleft:

TamH70

MIA
Doesn't seem likely.

But, based on having all 4 of mine whipped out in a one-er at BMH Berlin 30 years ago, you can expect to wake up from the anaesthetic feeling like you've been beaten head to foot with rubber truncheons

Lucky you. All of my bottom ones are still in the jaw, unerupted and periodically very painful. And I have been told that if they were to be removed the consequences could be long term nerve damage.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer

ScreamingHat

Swinger
Thanks all, that’s good news (ish!) Unfortunately one has come through funky and I broke another a few days ago...left with little choice but to have them out. For now antibiotics and painkillers doing the job!

chimera

LE
I am still going strong having joined up in the back end of the 70s - minus all four which were taken out in one go, mid career. Apart from the discomfort, it should not affect your service in any way, unless you are considering biting someone to death in the week or so after the op.

Bastard dentist whipped mine out in the chair at Chattenden Bks, I was back to work in the afternoon. The fact she was kneeling on my chest to remove one of the buggers, did not leave me with a good impression of Army Dentists.

ugly

LE
Bastard dentist whipped mine out in the chair at Chattenden Bks, I was back to work in the afternoon. The fact she was kneeling on my chest to remove one of the buggers, did not leave me with a good impression of Army Dentists.
Did she leave an impression on your chest and more to the point was she tasty?
The one in York Bks Munster was a stunner

Did she leave an impression on your chest and more to the point was she tasty?
The one in York Bks Munster was a stunner
Have to admit she was gorgeous, but I wish we had met in less painful (for me) surroundings.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Morning all,

Cheers,

Hat.
Should have no impact provided date of extraction is before enlisting.

To the OP.

I think @Fang_Farrier has covered the enlistment issue/implications.

Don’t listen to the doom mongers re wisdom tooth extraction. I had two bottom ones removed and it was painless. Slightly uncomfortable but zero pain.

For the first one I felt him fiddling about in my gob, scraping and tugging etc. I mumbled when are you taking it out and he replied “it’s on your chest, would you like to keep it”. (I did right up to the time it started to smell rank).

And yes my dentist had his knee in my groin for the second one.

Both extractions were less intrusive and less uncomfortable than a session with the hygienist. I was lucky as they were healthy teeth. I guess it can be different if they are diseased/damaged.

I sent him an old sepia print of an extraction in Victorian times. It wasn’t this (I can’t find it now) but was similar.
A5888433-39AB-4EAA-AB17-3CCA7018F3AD.jpeg

I had all four of mine removed in one go a couple of years after I joined the mob, done under general anaesthetic. It wasn't an issue. I also kept hold of them and attached one to my key ring as a lucky charm. Beats a rabbit's foot any day.

Best person to speak of these things is @Fang_Farrier .

Have had three of them done at different times and one left in. Couple of dos and donts:
1]If the dentist says to bite down on a cotton pad for an hour or so after the procedure, then do so. Gets a nice clot in the hole.
2] If the dentist says not to smoke and drink afterwards for a few days, then do so.

They sort of say these things in a friendly , off the cuff way . If you are an arrogant so and so like I was when young, you might decide to ignore them. If you do, you end up with lots of unneeded pain. They call it dry socket or some such.

I had all four of mine removed in one go a couple of years after I joined the mob, done under general anaesthetic. It wasn't an issue. I also kept hold of them and attached one to my key ring as a lucky charm. Beats a rabbit's foot any day.
Kid sister had all four out under general anaesthetic 25 years ago. Her heart stopped twice on the operating table and she ended up having a month off work. She also managed to lose two stone in weight.

The good news was it stopped her irritable bowel syndrome (the teeth were causing infections and she was swallowing the gunk, leading to IBS) and she was able to join the police three months later.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Kid sister had all four out under general anaesthetic 25 years ago. Her heart stopped twice on the operating table and she ended up having a month off work. She also managed to lose two stone in weight.

The good news was it stopped her irritable bowel syndrome (the teeth were causing infections and she was swallowing the gunk, leading to IBS) and she was able to join the police three months later.

Every General Anaesthetic carries a degree of risk, the risk is lower if you are healthy but complications can occur in anybody.

We used to be able to provide GAs ourselves but a few too many deaths led to a change in legislation so that now anaesthetics have to be administered by a anaesthesist.

However we can still provide IV and inhalation sedation.

Doesn't seem likely.

Me also, only able to drink soup for 2 weeks unable to yawn unable to eat NAFFI cake.
Woke up in next bed to a fellow who had a girl visiting, they laughed at my moans for a drink of water.
Germany 1963.

Me also, only able to drink soup for 2 weeks unable to yawn unable to eat NAFFI cake.
Woke up in next bed to a fellow who had a girl visiting, they laughed at my moans for a drink of water.
Germany 1963.
As do we all, a half-century later, I'm pretty sure :thumleft:

Latest Threads