Wiring help - Bathroom extractor fan

I am replacing a knackered extractor fan in my bathroom and the wiring has me a little confused. Dont worry all power is off!

The old fan is wired up with Black, Grey and Brown wires. Black = Neutral Supply, Grey = Switched Live and Brown = Permanent Live.

The new fan has terminals for Neutral and Live with a third being a doubler labelled 1/2 for adjusting the speed setting.

The Black cable obviously goes into the neutral terminal. But what about the other two? Thanks in advance.

Are you sure about that?

The third connection would usually be an extra supply wire controlled by a timer circuit to allow the fan to run on for about 30 secs after you`d cut the juice.

Some had a potentiometer to adjust the run time.

I am replacing a knackered extractor fan in my bathroom and the wiring has me a little confused. Dont worry all power is off!

The old fan is wired up with Black, Grey and Brown wires. Black = Neutral Supply, Grey = Switched Live and Brown = Permanent Live.

The new fan has terminals for Neutral and Live with a third being a doubler labelled 1/2 for adjusting the speed setting.

The Black cable obviously goes into the neutral terminal. But what about the other two? Thanks in advance.

There's usually instructions in the box with the appliance.

Mind you they usually start by telling you to get an electrician to do the job.

Are you sure about that?

The third connection would usually be an extra supply wire controlled by a timer circuit to allow the fan to run on for about 30 secs after you`d cut the juice.

Some had a potentiometer to adjust the run time.

This is just a straight up on/off fan. The didnt have the timer version of the model i wanted in stock, plus its not a major hassle to not have it.

There's usually instructions in the box with the appliance.

Mind you they usually start by telling you to get an electrician to do the job.

Yup read the instructions. But they just mention Neutral, Live and position 1/2. No mention of switch live or permanent live to help me convert over from the old fan.

@Gary Cooper makes a good point. It is not a sign of weakness to RTFI which you should have got with a new fan.

If you do not have the instructions try finding them online.

If you cannot find them online phone the manufacturer and they will send you the instructions. Xpelair, Ventaxia and Aidelle certainly will. Don't know about dodgy foreigners. They are happy to do this as they do not want electromongs topping themselves with their products.

Edited to add: crossed in the post.

CQMS

LE
Bathrooms are special locations under Part P of the The IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition and as such unless you are qualified you should not be undertaking this work.

Got a pic of the terminal strip and circuit diagram?

lert

LE
Bathrooms are special locations under Part P of the The IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition and as such unless you are qualified you should not be undertaking this work.
Not so I'm afraid. As all he's doing is replacing an existing fitting in a like for like fashion it's well within Building Reggs for him to do so. Part P only comes into play when adding to a circuit or changing the location of a fitting.

The fact that he doesn't know what to do with the wires in front of him may qualify for some kind of Darwin Award though.

Edited to be more helpful. Black, grey and brown are three phase wiring colours. Assuming (!) the OP doesn't have a 3Ph extractor fan(!!) then I reckon someone's run some gash bits of old cable to try and save a couple of quid during the initial installation. One of those wires must be an earth. Time for a multimeter to see what's what I reckon.

Not really. The regs in Chapter 7 cover the correct installation requirements. Since our hero is just replacing the fan, he can do it.

Providing he doesn't fluff it.

lert

LE
OP. Just remember that once you've finished and turned the power back on you need to send the wife in to test everything.

If you just want a on off fan connect the fan live to the switched power from the house and the neutral to the neutral and ground the fixture and cap of the other wires. That's how a electrician would connect it in Canada of course over here the neutral is coloured white and the live is black, blue or red, The ground is green or bare at least.

Try black & brown on a voltage tester, to see if light switch has an effect. If so, wire fan and ignore grey.

If not, replace brown with grey on said voltage tester and check switched supply once more. If so, wire fan and ignore brown.

If neither then either:

1. Rip out wiring from light switch in order to decypher wiring
or
2. Pay a technician from the illuminati to do it for you.

Disclaimer: If you're really not sure, then you'll probably hurt yourself. Shape battlespace with some good insurance products which dont have "mong" clauses in them.

CQMS

LE
Not so I'm afraid. As all he's doing is replacing an existing fitting in a like for like fashion it's well within Building Reggs for him to do so. Part P only comes into play when adding to a circuit or changing the location of a fitting.

The fact that he doesn't know what to do with the wires in front of him may qualify for some kind of Darwin Award though.

Edited to be more helpful. Black, grey and brown are three phase wiring colours. Assuming (!) the OP doesn't have a 3Ph extractor fan(!!) then I reckon someone's run some gash bits of old cable to try and save a couple of quid during the initial installation. One of those wires must be an earth. Time for a multimeter to see what's what I reckon.

Not really. The regs in Chapter 7 cover the correct installation requirements. Since our hero is just replacing the fan, he can do it.

Providing he doesn't fluff it.

Hence why I used the word should rather than must.

I am looking forward to the bang though.

Back to the UK for a mo, this is the simplest diag I can find. Any new extractor fan should more or less be like it.

As you can see the fan has two lives and a neutral. The 2nd live is illustrated by having a small piece of brown sleeving on the black. This is quite acceptable and indicates to any sparky a live conductor.

The terminal called S at the fan probably stands for sense and it`s this that switches the fan off using the internal timer.

fanwiring3_h2.jpg

Back to the UK for a mo, this is the simplest diag I can find. Any new extractor fan should more or less be like it.

As you can see the fan has two lives and a neutral. The 2nd live is illustrated by having a small piece of brown sleeving on the black. This is quite acceptable and indicates to any sparky a live conductor.

The terminal called S at the fan probably stands for sense and it`s this that switches the fan off using the internal timer.

View attachment 191372

S stands for Switched. This is the supply to the fan motor.

Latest Threads