Wireless Network Help

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by smoojalooge, Oct 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am having a two fold problem with my Wireless network.

1. I was being leeched for bandwidth I have reconfigured, my router and changed security. This seems to have solved the problem for now.

2. I have a new laptop which I have got a new laptop which is running vista. It logs onto the network but cannot identify it. It also cannot connect to the internet.

I can't work out if this is a vista or router problem. I am running a belkin f5d9230 router. Anyone have any ideas on reconfiguring my network and finding barsteward stealing my bandwidth
  2. msr

msr LE

Ensure your router is set to WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK, set a long passphrase and keep it secret: that will stop anyone from stealing your bandwidth.

Is your new laptop Vista?

3. Some older routers (over 2 years old) will not work with Vista. I have had this problem as have many people i know. Buying a later style wireless router sorts it straight away. Ensure you set up security on your new router as well.
  4. I am using Vista home pro, however my sister is also using visat and she has no problems connecting
  5. msr

msr LE

Which version of this router do you have?

You will find the version number on a sticker on the bottom of the unit, it is a 4-digit number preceded by ver. Only the first digit of the version number is important in this case.

6. msr

msr LE

Is your laptop set to obtain an IP address automatically?
  7. It was a lot simpler than I thought, just needed to totally remove the network from my laptop and re obtain it
  8. disable security, then connect to your network. Once you can connect without any security in place then attempt to put in some secrity (WEP/WPA) If you still have problems just set the network to open then limit access to your laptops MAC address.
  9. msr

msr LE

Using WEP and / or MAC address is not good advice.

WEP: http://docs.lucidinteractive.ca/index.php/Cracking_WEP_and_WPA_Wireless_Networks

MAC: http://www.cs.wright.edu/~pmateti/InternetSecurity/Lectures/WirelessHacks/Mateti-WirelessHacks.htm#_Toc77524654

10. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

I agree with MSR.

WEP is like having a lock on the front door of your house but forgetting to lock it when you leave.

At first glance WEP looks like a deterent but in fact takes seconds to open.