wireless 3g dongle connectivity

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by wedge_cadman, May 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

morning all

I am currently using a Three 3G USB dongle and a short USB extension cable into my laptop and it runs ok, but tends to drop the connection due to poor reception issues.. and no it's not possible to move to a better location..

my solution idea is to install a wireless modem in a better location with said dongle attached as the "phone line" and go wireless internet.

My Question is, is it possible to configure this way due to:

a. connections. ie usb/mini jack or rj45/usb convertors.
    b. and does the dongle need power and would it get it from the router?

cheers
    WedgeC

2. have you seen the mifi?

i haven't used it or know much myself..

3. The signal will still be crap because its going to the dongle......or am I being a mong, Never mind I'll get my coat

4. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Ok am not a world expert but your computer should have a wifi option. If not you can get a wifi dongle - this is not the same as your 3G dongle of course.

Your router - with wifi - then connects to the phone line - i.e. you have to have a BT line or some such direct link to the phone lines - it then transmits a signal giving you a bubble within which your computer's wifi or wifi dongle can pick up and connect you to the internet.

Your 3G dongle is what you would use for example if you had a laptop and were mobile - so that you could check email outside of your home - i.e. outside the wifi bubble you create.

The wifi connection is pretty good though - you don't actually need cables to your router anymore.

5. So I was right :eek:

6. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

I should explain, i have a fully working wifi set up at home, this set up is for my work location where i have laptop & dongle and No BT line.
    The laptop is in a fixed location where the Sim reception is crap, therefore my idea is to use a spare wireles modem near the window of the property where the reception for the Sim card is excellent.. and then pick up my signal wirelessly..

WedgeC

7. Or just get a very long extension lead.

8. Fine if the 3g better location is within 16 feet or so of his laptop - and higher error rates will occur with longer cables.

One way to skin the cat may be to acquire another laptop or shite old desktop. Doesnt need tobe anything special, but needs a wireless card.

Set this up where your 3g connection is good. Connect the dongle and establish an internet connection. This terminal is then setup as an internet proxy server - google how to do it, its not difficult and there are software apps available free that make it easy.

You then have two choices. You can create an Ad-hoc connection between your laptop and the proxy and ensure they are configured on the same network (IP and workgroup). You then configure your lappy to work through a proxy server (essentially the IP address of the terminal with your dongle in it). There you are, internet.

You could also do this through a wireless router - however if the adhoc connection is ample and stable, why bother paying for it.

Achiveing the above has some geeky elements to it. You may need a cone headed mate to achieve it or it should be quite easy with some research.

Boney