Wiping laptop.

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by BryanTheMegalodon, Sep 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just bought a shiny new one and am giving my old one away to my neighbour, an Acer about 3 years old. Nothing dodgy on it and she probably visits more adult interest sites than myself so not worried there however would like to erase the drives / computer as much as posssible. I have no idea whatsoever how to do this and haven't got the origional system discs which the laptop came with. Can anyone give me an idiots guide on how to reset it back to factory settings? Regards, Bry.

2. Used to use a program called "Kill Disc"
    It wiped everything & can include the MBR files!
    Plenty via google & most are free/trial or freeware.

Look @ http://killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

3. An Idiots Guide.

Take to PC shop and get them to do it for you.

4. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Put it in a nice hot bath full of soapy water

Climb in after it, lean out of the window and ask a passerby to hurl a bar fire in with you.

• Like Like x 10
  5. "Regards Bry"

Hahahahahahaha. Yeah Bry sounds much cooler than Bryan doesn't it. I bet all the groovy chicks in the discotech swoon when you swan over in your Farah slacks and pastel coloured sweater and say "Hey there little ladies, the names Bry."

• Like Like x 3
  6. If my parents had named me Bryan I'd set them on fire, then I'd change my name. Then seeing as it's the most boring member on the site i'm sure it's a good enough name for him.
    If we're lucky he'll say more words.

7. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

You should set fire to your parents for making you broken and craving beef repeaters

8. Alt & Function 10 on bootup gives option to reset to factory settings on Acer's.

9. Missed that it was an Acer!
    It should be in a museum as i thought 3yr old working Acer's were collectables?

10. Cheers Boney / Flash - both worked.

11. It'll be even better if his surname's Fry.
    Hi, my name's Bry Fry.

12. Honestly, it works mate. Ill send you a picture if you want.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Depends on the laptop. Some manufacturers reserve a small portion of the hard disk to store the factory recovery image. If not, you can order from the manufacturer for a small fee the Recovery Disks (CD/DVD) to wipe and reload the system

14. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

So a pin-hole reset button wiped and reset your laptop for you? What a load of bullshit, but for the life of me I cannot think of any reason that someone would lie about that (FlashBang's original post was quite a good mini wind-up so understand that part of it).